Author Topic: GE top load washer noise  (Read 8089 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE top load washer noise
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
You may have to repete the process many times to reset the inverter. Were you getting flashes?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 10:54:14 PM »
Same flashes. I think it was 5 or 6, which means replace motor. I repeated the process 3 or 4 times, still same code.

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:40 AM »
I am going to give some estimated stats on what I have experienced over the past 3-4 years. Note that this is only out of warranty stats because if it is in warranty I replace the motor without hesitation. Also this may not reflect what other tech may be seeing.

I have seen about 50-60 motor related problems with these washers.

About a dozen or so fuses blown. Replacing the fuse put them back to work with no more problems. Note that the fuse is not going to be on the models being made now.

I have had to replace 3 motors because the fault wouldn’t clear or it came back.

I had one fuse that blew as soon as I put it on and I believe the motor was bad but the customer opted out of the repair. 

The rest I have cleared the code without any more problems.

So I repaired all but 4 without replacing the motor. But it is bad I have had to go out on so many. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:23:19 AM by ryan111 »
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
Ryan in your opinion what are the people doing to cause these motor problems? Suds issues? Overloads? Is the washer just a POS? Or D. All of the above?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »
I know on the early models there was a problem that when the customer opened the lid when the sifter coil was in the middle of sifting from wash to spin it would hang in sifting mode. This would cause the coil to have 135 VDC the whole time the lid was opened. During normal operation the 135VDC is only on the coils for the first 18 seconds when the washer is changing from wash to spin mode.

Naturally this would cause the sifter to fail. Then the motor will put the sifter code and the washer will not wash properly. 

The new motors will not do this. This is not something that the customer done wrong because it is supposed to be ok to open the lid at anytime.

As for the codes…

Over the years I have grown to hate self-diagnostics on appliances, which is what the codes are more or less. To often when I go on a service call for any appliance that is giving a self-diagnostics code the board that is doing the diagnostics is what the problem is to start with. (If this makes any sense).

I don’t think the customer is doing anything wrong.

Overall I like the design of this machine but they got some kinks they need to work out. Should have been worked out before they went on the market.

For anyone else that may read this thread…

Don’t just clear the code. See what the code stands for and check whatever the code says is bad. If it doesn’t seem to be bad clear the code. If it seems to be bad replace it then clear the code.

For example if it is the lid switch code check the lid switch and if the lid switch is ok clear the code. If the code comes back the motor is bad. 

Here are a few repair pages http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/clothes-washer-repair.html#HydroWave

As much as we talked about this washer on this thread we pretty much covered it all but those pages may help more.
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline wtrlvr43

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 01:40:36 PM »
I have a controller available for purchase.  It will fit a GE front load washer.  The GE part number is: WH12X10355.  I bought and used it to verify that my control board was good and that my inverter was bad.  GE Retail is $248.50 on this part,  I will sell it for $90.00 just to get some of my cash back out of the part to put towards my inverter.  I can be reached through this forum or at wtrlvr43@hotmail.com.  This control board is brand new and only has about 1/2 hour of run time on it.  Thank-you and good luck with your GE troubleshooting!

You can e-mail me if you have some similar troubleshooting questions.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 02:59:12 PM »
You can e-mail me if you have some similar troubleshooting questions.

Please post all your appliance repair questions here in the forums. It helps us all learn.
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »
wtrlvr43,

Please don't go spamming our forums here with parts you have for sale. You posted the same reply that you have here to three other topics. I have deleted them other replies you posted.

You maybe better off to list your part on ebay and as always buyer beware when replying to topics such as this.
Hope you find our website helpful.

Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 8191
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
Roper Washer - On Spin cycle will make load buzzing noise, won't spin

Started by kbrettm1977

Replies: 2
Views: 9515
Last post December 10, 2008, 06:55:27 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag Front Load Neptune Washer Banging Noise when Spinning

Started by dkmminc

Replies: 11
Views: 12837
Last post June 17, 2010, 11:05:11 PM
by schaffersapplian
frigidaire front load washer

Started by Mikki

Replies: 6
Views: 6357
Last post October 17, 2007, 04:42:52 PM
by Mikki
What is the best top load washer for under $600?

Started by Larry B.

Replies: 1
Views: 2851
Last post November 12, 2007, 08:48:21 PM
by rickgburton
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7350
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ