Naw, I had disconnected the motor inside the enclosure and tested off the spades the motor was connected to, to see what the machine was sending to the motor. And no room in there to test with them connected anyway.
Look a the pic Regus posted (tnx!). I pulled the white connectors off the spades, which come off the top of the enclosure's connection block, and tested what was coming in through the connection block.
Last stop before you get to the motor leads themselves, and hopefully would show any faulty connections.
So the motor was disconnected.
Also, I just tested both old and new motor leads, unconnected, and got continuity (very small ohm reading) off both motors.
That's what has me so confused - it appears we have power to the motor(s) and both motors test the same. Although they both could be binding.
Either I'm screwing something up with testing (really couldn't screw up connecting the controllers, there's a pin out diagram on the enclosure I triple checked, and a notch out to ensure you don't plug them in backward, and the cycles work manually, I did a load yesterday with the new controller in), or both controllers are messed up, or something else is wrong. And I can't see what.
I'll try running the motors straight from the power receptacle and see if they respond at all.
Tnx for all your help guys.