Author Topic: Dryer runs, but doesn't heat up  (Read 8516 times)

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
Dryer runs, but doesn't heat up
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »
Wife put in load to dry on Perm Press, and ran it, went back to check it, and hadn't heated up at all.  Then put it on Regular and it dried to almost dry - lighter weight things were dry but heavier things were damp, but it shut itself off.  Then she put in another load, and ran it for awhile and nothing, no heating at all.

I am about to dig into it and was hoping that these symptoms would tell me what has to be replaced.

thanks

(not related) I replaced the rollers, the shafts they ride on, belt and and felt about 6 years ago and has worked fine.

Model SE-1000

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Dryer runs, but doesn't heat up
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »
If your dryer has these on the inside they may be in need of a cleaning. Residue from dryer sheets goops up the strips and they cannot sense the dampness of clothes. The dryer thinks the clothes are dry and shuts down. Clean those with 409 or equivilent. Retry
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
First off, thanks for your response.
We don't use dryer strips, but I went and checked those strips in the dryer anyway and they were real clean.

After I posted, but before your reply, I pulled the heat cone and checked the heating coil. I got continuity and what I gather to be 15 ohms resistance. (old Navy multimeter) There was a little bit of crud on the bottom of the cone - I guess toasted lint, but hardly any for as long as we've had this unit. I cleaned it, checked the high limit thermostat and it had continuity.

I also checked the cycling thermostat and it had continuity.

In the manual, they also list (under "Symptom" of No Heat):

Heater or gas valve (in this case that's the heating element) - check
Motor - that is running so I don't understand why that's part of this list
Wire Harness
Control board
Heater relay

What should I try next? 

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
Also, there is a label on the cover of the duct from lint trap to blower that reads:
"If thermal fuse is open, replace cycling thermostat(s)"

Could this be a factor? Would the motor still run (drum turns, blower blows) if the thermal fuse is open?

thanks

Daniel

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »
no, check your vent.see if air is going outside.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:01:32 PM »
Vent is clear. It's a very short run out through the wall. I pulled the vent pipe off the vent through the wall and it's blowing good as new.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »
Check the safety limits
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
Ohm the cycling and limit thermostats.  If they're good, check the heater relay.  You have to check the relay while it's running so be very careful.  Check for 24vdc to the coil of the relay, the red wire and the brown wire with black stripe.  If no voltage, you have a bad control board.  If you have voltage at the coil, check for a voltage drop at the heater wires on the relay. That would be the thicker black and brown wires.  If you get about 240vac, then you have a bad heater relay.
If your relay is bad, send me a pm. I have way more of these in stock than I'll ever use and I can give you a good deal on one.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
Thanks.  I'll check that out later this afternoon.  The multimeter I have is fairly antiquated Navy issue, but the ohm meter has always worked for continuity. Probe ends and not alligator clips.
When you say be careful, what do you mean  (aside from the 24ov and the fact that the relay is hard to get access to? I'll post back results.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
Here's what I think is the heater relay.  The colors are different than you describe. Picture below. It looks to me like the 24vdc wires are the red, and white with red dashes and the heater wires are the plastic shielded yellow, and grayish brown wires. In any case you can probably tell me if the longitudinal location of the contacts on the relay relate to the 24vdc circuit and the 2 upper, outer contacts are the heater circuit.  I've unfastened it from the dryer to have better access to test, and to take this picture.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
After some more poking around on the net, I've discovered that the relay I've shown above is not the heater relay.  Rather the heater relay has a clear plastic color and is located directly under the heater coil.  Sorry. Will test relay and report back findings.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
Re:heater relay questions
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
I was unable to test the heater relay in place, and found a parts house nearby who said he had the correct relay based on my describing it as a SE-1000. His asst. said that they could test my old one before I bought the new one, so I took it in. Owner then informed me that he couldn't test mine, but it was cheap enough that I should just buy the new one. The relay he sold me is different even though he said it cross references to replace mine. My existing relay in the photo is larger and part# is 306199. The replacement I have  (he said it's smaller because it's solid state(?) is numbered 2202729 and it does say Maytag.
Is this correct? As they're not identical, does it matter which way the wires are hooked up? I presume it doesn't matter as there are no markings on the new relay - just the 2 sizes of spade connectors - small=low voltage; large=220v.
This may not be the fix, as I haven't determined that the old one is broke, but if it'll make my heater coil hot, I'm ahead and we can use the W/D again. thanks for your help.

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
better image of relays
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »
original image seemed too small, so here's a better one.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
The 2 small terminals are low voltage 24vac from the transformer. check for continuity between those 2 small terminal if open bad. simple. Check to see if the transformer has continuity on the low side and the high side of the transformer.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
<The 2 small terminals are low voltage 24vac from the transformer. check for continuity between those 2 small terminal if open bad. simple.>

I just did this test with my meter. The low voltage terminals on the original relay show no continuity and the new relay does! So that tells me that the original relay is bad. 
You didn't answer whether the new relay I got today (#2202729) is what I should use to replace the original (#306199) one. thanks

IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Replies: 5
Views: 7933
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
Creda dryer runs but makes only a little heat

Started by goldstonemr

Replies: 33
Views: 13080
Last post April 27, 2008, 02:56:23 PM
by Penguin45