Author Topic: I need a inner basket nut (tub nut)  (Read 3684 times)

Offline fixitnyc

• VIP Member
I need a inner basket nut (tub nut)
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:58:28 PM »
Hi,
I have a whirlpool calypso MOD: GVW9959KQ2 SER: CN3806201 TYPE: 170 I was getting ob (off balance) and SL (suds lock) errors. The machine does drain but it cannot finish spinning since the machine stops due to one of the errors. I took the machine apart and here is what I found. I have three questions.

1)The balance ring has a gash worn it and it fills with water and it also leaks from this gash. The tub ring assembly has some of the plastic burned into it from the balance ring wearing on it. I'm going to replace the balance ring but do I have to replace the tub ring assembly if I can clean up the fused plastic that's stuck to it. Will the balance be affected if it is not replaced?

2)The second thing I found after removing the U-joint is a ring that is 4 or 5 inches in diameter that is cracked into three pieces. It goes around a cast aluminum piece. I cannot find the piece or the cast aluminum piece that it attaches to as a part with a part number in any of the diagrams. I donít see it as a part number. Do you know if this ring can be ordered separately?  Is this part of the inner stainless steel basket assembly? Do I have to order the basket assembly to get this part.
I found this in a thread on this forum. Is there an answer to this? this is the part I need.
"HI I NEED HELP IN LOCATTING A NUT THAT HOLDS THE INNER TUB THIGHT, IT IS 5 -3/16 INCHES IN DIAMETER,MADE OF WHAT LOOKS LIKE CAST ALUMINUM, THE EXPOLDED VEIW OF THE TUB ASSEMBLY DOES NOT SHOW THE HUB OR THE NUT"

3)If I make these 2 repairs can I skip checking the pump since the machine drains. I really donít want to mess with the pump since it has not had any problems.
Thanks  for  your help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: I need a inner basket nut (tub nut)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
I had one donated to me. It turns out it had a large silk pillow case in between tubs. I got that out and observed the action of the wobble feature. It was binding against the tub and causing an error. I defeated the wobble feature by removing the plastic piece and the metal piece. The machine came to life then. It does still wobble a little but it is not binding or give errors. The pump has a motor on it and does the majority of the work. The motor rotates the drum and water pours continually over the clothes from several locations. At the end that joker spins faster than any other washer I have seen. The clothes were practically dry. This washer uses about a gallon at most of water. So adding more than a tiny amount of soap gives it hell because the electronics try to remove the suds.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fixitnyc

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
Can I purchase that nut from you? and do you know where I can purchase the spanner wrench to put it on my machine.

thanks

Offline shieldcracker

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Post a picture I may have one that fits...

Offline fixitnyc

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
Here are the photos of the nut I need (it's cracked) the inner basket and the piece it attaches to.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »
Wow you are deeper into that calypso than I went with mine. LOL
I have this machine in my back yard.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline shieldcracker

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »
fixitnyc, unfortunately I dont have that nut anymore.
The one bad thing about basket drives is that nut. Very few times been able to take the nut out with out damaging it. Be sure to use copper anti seize compound when putting that nut back again.

GE Washer Basket Moves with Agitator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1903
Last post July 11, 2008, 07:59:00 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Kenmore washer basket off balance

Started by skraw

Replies: 2
Views: 2858
Last post April 30, 2009, 06:03:16 AM
by Repair-man