Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Possible to Install an electric lighter to current gas range?  (Read 212 times)

Offline ReallyReallyDumb

• VIP Member
Hi everyone, new here, (first post)

I have a gas range thats been here since i bought the house, and its great, i love it, it has high btu's and the oven is great for baking breads. The top grates are extremely heavy cast iron. HOWEVER its either old, or some restaurant type stove. The burners and oven have a small lighting fire that never goes out, right next to the actual burners, when you turn it on, the small flame (that is always on) will ignite the large burners. Its possible to cut the gas off all together to the stove, but you need a lighter or matches to restart the small fires afterwards. (they always have gas coming out of them)

I am getting really annoyed with the small igniter things that are always on, especially during the warmer months, the temperature in the kitchen (and surrounding area) is usually 10-15 degrees higher because of the stove, and its hot!

i was wondering if theres anyway to install a electric starter onto this stove? I really like it, and ive gone to several appliance stores, the same type of stove with the same btw would cost about 5,000-8,000 dollars so i really dont want to buy a new one.

If its at all possible, i wouldn't even mind hiring someone to install it for us. If its difficult.

please and thank you for all and any advice

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: Possible to Install an electric lighter to current gas range?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »
Called a PILOT

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »
as already mentioned it's a standing pilot. Good efficient way to ensure you can always cook. With new electronic ignition, power goes out, you can't cook.
Highly doubt it because it works off a thermocouple. But, since you didn't provide a make and model number no body will be able to help you further.

Offline ReallyReallyDumb

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
Called a PILOT

THANKS! now i know!  ;D

Offline ReallyReallyDumb

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
as already mentioned it's a standing pilot. Good efficient way to ensure you can always cook. With new electronic ignition, power goes out, you can't cook.
Highly doubt it because it works off a thermocouple. But, since you didn't provide a make and model number no body will be able to help you further.

Thank you very much for the info. i thought about the power outage part, and i figured only the igniter would be electric, i could always go the old fashion way and turn the burners on, then use a lighter or a match. But it would be less convenient during a power outage, i guess ill just buy a new stove, thanks!

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
no you can't do that with the oven. The cook top if gas you can but not the oven. The thermopile where that standing pilot is creates an electric signal and that signal tells the gas valve to step up from pilot to flame.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
Depending on the stove I have customers turn the top pilots off and light them with a fire place extended lighter all the time. The oven you can't shut the pilot off and use but may be able to install a mini pilot which is very small and uses less gas as well as 1/4 the heat in the oven. What is the brand name or even a picture may help. My specialty is the old stuff.

Offline ReallyReallyDumb

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »
Depending on the stove I have customers turn the top pilots off and light them with a fire place extended lighter all the time. The oven you can't shut the pilot off and use but may be able to install a mini pilot which is very small and uses less gas as well as 1/4 the heat in the oven. What is the brand name or even a picture may help. My specialty is the old stuff.

thank you very much for the advice I will try to get the make/model asap, Im not sure where to find it, i think it may be in the back and its HEAVYYYY haha.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
No normally inside storage drawers or under the top on a metal plate. A picture will help a lot as may not even need brand to instruct you on how to solve the problem.

Whirlpool Electric Range - Bake Cycle Not Working

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5958
Last post January 01, 2008, 03:44:30 PM
by AJ
lg electric range: "start" button stopped working

Started by birch

Replies: 4
Views: 13940
Last post February 28, 2010, 11:28:41 PM
by john63