Author Topic: Maytag Neptune uC error code  (Read 8183 times)

Offline salida

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune uC error code
« on: July 26, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
Maching has been working great until last week. Now when it goes into the spin cycle with a small load, water drains properly, motor turns drum in spin direction properly, tub begins to shake (while watching with the front off) and uC code shuts off cycle. I removed the clutch for inspection. Spring is good. One way bearing appears good. No rust and I can't turn it the other direction by hand. I replaced the clutch and tightened the belt. Same problem. When I open the lid, the clothes are shifted to one side causing the problem. Is there a way to defeat the lid close sensor to observe what is happening in the tub?

Model FAV6800AWW

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Maytag Neptune uC error code
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
You can just pry the top up with a putty knife. and watch it turn the clothes to one side.

Did you crank the clutch bolt really tight?  If you did, you probably need another one.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »
You have done some reading.  The One Way Roller Clutches become sticky and if they don’t lock up in the CCW /Spin direction you will get some agitator shaft rotation driving the tranny rotating the tumblers draging the wash load off balance in Spin Cycle...... big time dC/uC error codes.

It sounds like your originl Clutch pulley is in goo shape (no tub seal leak).  Re-lube the One-Way Roller Clutches in both Clutch Pulleys and I think you will find they will both work.  I give them a wash of WD-40 and re-lube with Slick-50 One Lube. 

Google (Maytag Neptune load unbalance) and read that post.  I explain what is going on, how to test the One-Way Roller Clutches in the Clutch Pulley hub and the One-Way Roller Clutches upper bearing ring if your machine is a Series 10 or 11.  Looks like Maytag went to the integrated Lower Outer Tub bearing with a One-Way Roller Clutch bearing replacing that upper bearing somewhere around the Series 12 and above.

Your series is the 1st two digits of your machine Serial Number.

Did your FAV6800A use the One-Way Roller Clutches upper bearing ring?

If you have questions post back.

Good Luck……….Dick

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:37 AM »
PS

Don't over torque that Clutch Pulley 3/8" bolt...... 96 inch pounds or 8 foot pounds.  No torque wrench just snug.  If the Clutch Pulley is not seated properly as described in the Service Manual it will spin off.

Dick

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »
See this post http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=5312.0

I co-mingled my Clutch Fix process in with troubleshooting a FAV9800A machine no display issue (about halfway thru the post).  Try the little test I show for checking that the One-Way Roller Clutch bearing for slipping in the CCW/Spin direction.  I believe you will find that with both of your Clutch Pulleys the One-Way Roller Clutch bearings are slipping in the CCW/Spin direction. If your machine series uses the Upper One-Way Roller Clutch bearing ring check that also………Dick 

Offline salida

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 09:58:30 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice. I removed and cleaned and relubed the roller clutch and it seems to be working good so far. By the way, you can buy just the roller clutch (HF 3520) from any bearing supply for less than $15. You have to press the old one out and new one in, but that's easy with a hydraulic press (any auto shop will have a press) and will save $$.

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:40:19 AM »
Great info I'm dirt cheap.

I'm going to order one and press in for the fun of it on a internet used Clutch Pulley.

Did your machine use the Upper Bearing ring?

I also have info on replacing the the bearings in the Spinner Support if you decide to rebuild.  I did an outertub bearing replacement, tub seal and tranny o-ring replacement on an internet Series 10 purchase for less than I believe $80.  Some items like the Spinner Nut removal tool were not needed.  You can use a 1.75 socket to impact off and lock the Spinner support from turning as the SM shows.

You will be able to make this machine last a long time with the 3 big issues I have come across.

1.   Clutch Pulley issues as you had with the One-Way Roller clutch bearing.
2.   Left Hand Lid Lock OP,FL error codes.
3.   Leaky Tub Seal the Outer Tub bearing replacement.

Most repair techs won't touch this machine with a 10' pole.  Not sure why.... as you have found it's a easy machine to work on.

If you don't have surge protection on the service outlet I would add to protect the Control Bord, Motor Controller and TDS.

Dick   

Offline salida

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »
Good advice Dick. My serial number is 17658391GP. There is only one bearing in the clutch assembly, the HF 3520. I'll get a surge suppressor. The electronics are probably pricy. It is an easy machine to work on, but the service manual does leave a little to the imagination.

Rick

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »
Rick,
You have a series 17 machine the last in the series from what I can tell.  I own a Series 16 my original, an internet purchase Series 17 machine for $.99 no bull but it did cost around $15 for tolls and gas and a poor internet purchase (paid too much….$40).  All machines suffering from dc/uC error codes.  No cost for parts,  just clean and re-lube for Sticky One-Way Roller Clutches.  I did the Spinner Support bearing rebuild and the Outer Tub bearing, Tub Seal, and Tranny O-ring replacement on the Series 10 just for the hands on as I said for less than $80.  That machine will go another 5 yrs on that rebuild.   That machine is up for sale.

Your machine has installed in the Lower Outer Tub bearing the integrated One-Way Roller Clutch bearing assembly instead for the plain vanilla 6207-RS bearing.  You can replace with 6207-RS and some shims to make up for bearing thickness.  I paid less than $15 delivered to the house for a pair of 6207-RS bearings.  I worked with DIY’er on another forum and he came up with this for the p/n of that bearing assembly TW0207-2RS.  That bearing assembly was nowhere to be found with that p/n.

Here are some pics of the bearing assembly. 
1st pic is the original 6207DU bearing.
2nd Pic is the new integrated Ball bearing and One-Way Roller Clutches bearing assembly.

3 Pic per post limit see additional.

Yea 10-4 the SM is lean on info.  But you are more than qualified to work this machine from top to bottom. 

I have a great Maytag day  :tickedoff:……..Dick

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
Additional pics of the TW0207-2RS bearing assembly;

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
Sorry correction 6207-2RS not 6207-RS.

Offline dh1200s

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 02:11:22 PM »
Rick and other FAV6800A/FAV9800A DIY'ers,

See the link below this explains the principles behind the design of the One-Way Roller Clutch bearings used in the FAV6800A/FAV9800A Series 10 & 11 machines and the Clutch Pulley Mounted One-Way Roller Clutch bearing In the Series 12 and above Clutch Pulley.

This why I use WD-40 for a bearing wash and recommend Slick-50 One Lube for bearing lubrication. I also recommend to any owners if you replace your Clutch Pulley you lube your new Clutch Pulley and Upper bearing ring (if used).

They may have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for many years.  You won't need a WD-40 rinse just some a Slick-50 One Lube for re-lube of your new bearing assemblies.  Try the little test I mentioned so you know how the bearing should lock up in CCW/Spin direction and slip freely in CW/Agitate/Tumbler rotation.

One-Way Roller Clutch bearing operation and maintenance. http://www.rctek.com/technical/bearings/bearings_one_way.html

Good luck........Dick

Offline SMD66062

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »
I hope you still check this forum!  Do you have any idea where there is an online manual for this model?  I've Googled it and all I found was a link for the manual posted at FixYa dot com, but it is no longer active.

I am pretty sure this clutch issue is what's happened to mine today.  My hubby isn't very mechanically inclined but if it could be as simple as greasing something, I think between the two of us we could figure it out.

I got the DC error, only had a soccer uniform and a shirt in the washer.  Rearranged anyway, and it just wouldn't finish.  If I take everything out, it works fine.  I opened the lid and the white agitators spin clockwise smoothly, they will spin counter smoothly sometimes and sometimes they won't.  Feels like they lock.  The counter clockwise movement is completely random when it'll move and when it won't.

Bought this in 2004, #108423...serial.  Never had any issues until now.  Besides the major clothes tangles that it produces, when the absent center agitator technology was suppose to prevent that...not.

Thanks,
Sandy

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Do you have any idea where there is an online manual for this model?

You can download the service manual here.

16022808 Maytag Top Load Neptune Washer Service Manual
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline SMD66062

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
Thank you so much!

Maytag Neptune TL Washer UC Error Code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 21701
Last post October 14, 2008, 06:38:41 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag Washer F01 Error Code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Views: 7677
Last post June 17, 2008, 07:13:27 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag Neptune Lr code and now door lock problems

Started by anniechoco

Replies: 2
Views: 8825
Last post December 07, 2008, 09:01:38 AM
by anniechoco
maytag neptune washer top loader error message OL8 WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Started by getitdone

Replies: 3
Views: 2121
Last post January 26, 2009, 07:39:14 PM
by Repair-man
My Maytag gives the error code "do" and the door is closed.

Started by briancalhoun

Replies: 2
Views: 1597
Last post August 15, 2009, 12:14:54 PM
by briancalhoun
HR error code Maytag Washer

Started by gkofc

Views: 2203
Last post January 14, 2010, 09:25:13 AM
by gkofc