Author Topic: Gas Dryer Ignitor won't burn  (Read 5752 times)

Offline genoapr

• VIP Member
Gas Dryer Ignitor won't burn
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »
The ignitor (P/N 279311) on my gas dryer had gone bad (no continuity Ohms) so I purchased a new one and replaced it.  The new one still does not glow.  I checked the input voltage to the ignitor and it reads 30 volts (clearly not the 110 volts needed to energize the ignitor.  I checked the thermal fuse (P/N 3390719) and high limit thermostat (P/N 3403140) and have continuity across both of them.  I checked the thermistor (P/N 8577274) and have no continuity so I know this component is bad and needs to be replaced. 

My main question is that I also checked the radiant sensor (P/N 338906) and have no continuity on this component.  Is this sensor normally open and closes when it senses heat from the ignitor or is it normally closed? This will help me determine whether the part needs to be replaced or not.

Is there anything I may have missed that would account for the low voltage reading at the input to the ignitor?  I did the diagnostic test on the control panel and everything seems to function properly.  Also, I checked the resistance on the gas valves and they all check out within specifications.

I need to order the parts and just want to make sure I am getting the right ones this time around.

Model 110.71082000

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Gas Dryer Ignitor won't burn
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:35:13 AM »
The flame sensor is normally closed.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline genoapr

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »
Thanks.  I will order both the Thermistor and Flame Sensor.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:39:44 AM »
The Thermistor won't have continuity.

It's a variable resistor, and should be about 10,000 OHMs (10k) at ambient.

After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline genoapr

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:29 AM »
Not sure I completely understand.  The specs for the thermistor read 10K Ohms which I interpret to mean that "in addition to continuity" it must have that resistance or it is probably no good.  I get an open circuit reading on the thermistor so cannot determine resistance.  Where am I going wrong in my logic.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »
set your OHM meter for 20k and try reading again.
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline genoapr

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:46:28 AM »
Thanks.  I set the ohm meter to 20k as suggested and got a normal reading of 10.2k Ohms which is well within specification.

For the record, I replaced the ignitor and the flame sensor and the dryer is back up and running. 

Part # 279311 Dryer Igniter Kit and Bracket, AP3094138

Part # 338906 Flame Sensor, AP2910747

I am not sure if it was on this forum or another but there was a posting that strongly implied to the original writer that if the ignitor would not burn then looking at the flame sensor was absurd because it was not part of the "pre" control circuit and would only effect whether the gas values would open once ignitor burn was detected.  I want to let any future reader know that this is not true and very misleading.  A faulty flame sensor apparently limits the power supplied to the ignitor; in my case the voltage getting to the ignitor with the bad flame sensor was only 30v.

Thanks for all your help

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »
OK so you are saying the flame sensor/detector had continuity but was still bad?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline genoapr

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
Let me start by saying I am way in over my head on this one.  I'm a chemical engineer by training...really no nothing about electrical.

When the bad flame sensor (no continuity reading) I still got a voltage reading to the ignitor of around 30 volts.  When I installed the new flame sensor the voltage reading to the ignitor went back to normal (115 volts). 

My comments in the previous post simply had to do with the fact that when I was searching for clues as to what I should look at to trouble shoot the problem I ran across a posting were the technician was berating the diy'er about the fact that the flame sensor could not possibly have anything to do with the ignitor glowing since it was designed to detect it once it was glowing.  Unless I am wrong, it looks like it must have some feedback to prevent the ignitor from activating.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »
This is my understanding and if anybody knows better let em speak up. You got 30 volts because the ignitor's cold resistance is competing with the operator coils and their is no flame present. Therefore the the voltage reading is gonna naturally be low because the ignitor has to have a lower resistance in order for them solenoid coils to work properly. The only way to do it is change resistance in the circuit. The only thing that changes in resistance is the ignitor as it gets hotter. If the flame sensor has continuity full power is applied to the ignitor by it. When the temp reaches 1800f the bimetal inside the flame detector opens the circuit to the ignitor and kills power to the ignitor. Since it is blazing hot the raw gas comes out hits it , ignites, washing the flames through the ignitor. The ignitor stays toasty, becomes a thermocouple type safety, and allows power to them solenoids because its resistance has changed. If for some reason the ignitor did not ignite, once it cooled down it kills the circuit, shutting down the whole gas assembly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:12:13 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Gas Dryer Won't Light; No Power to Ignitor

Started by Rotorranch

Replies: 38
Views: 14876
Last post September 27, 2010, 12:42:00 AM
by Rotorranch
white knit shirts look like burn marks after dryer ?

Started by cvcman

Replies: 31
Views: 3929
Last post October 09, 2012, 02:09:22 PM
by cvcman
Kennore Dryer problems

Started by smckeown

Replies: 6
Views: 9104
Last post July 10, 2007, 09:31:02 AM
by smckeown
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 7947
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Amana dryer making noise

Started by bigvonne

Replies: 1
Views: 3648
Last post May 19, 2008, 12:53:38 PM
by apptech
Maytag Dryer Problem