Author Topic: Frigidaire Window AC 18,000 BTU  (Read 4233 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Frigidaire Window AC 18,000 BTU
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:45:26 PM »
Yesterday My friend Larry brought over a window unit with electronic controls. I have bypassed those electronics and got er goin. Tomorrow We are gonna install a thermostat on the ac. I intend to use a mercury based control off of an older failed unit.

Click on pictures to enlarge:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:48:38 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Frigidaire Window AC
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:02 PM »
They made this one very easy to jump out. They have a double bank of dummy's mounted on the bottom of the control panel. They had a small yellow wire plugged into one side and another wire plugged into the other side. Neither of which went to each other or anywhere else. The novice would maybe remove a wire from one group to make the jump to light speed and probably plug it into the other bank along side that other wire. My guess this is a booby trap set by the manufacturers to encourage rednecks to blow up the fan OR they use this block of dummy's to test the compressor and fan motor before installing the crappy electronics. At any rate these 2 wires are speeds. Putting them in the same neighborhood would quickly burn up the fan motor. What I did was remove the yellow wire and tape it off to itself where it could not rub up against anything and cause mischief. That freed up a cluster of 4 dummy's on one side of that bar. I connected the black power cord wire, a speed from the motor which is red but happens to be high on this beast, and the run wire from the compressor. I connected the other power cord wire to the common portion of the capacitor. It already has common wires from compressor and fan connected there as well along with a fan and compressor wire for start windings. Twarn't no need in messing with them.  I checked the cord for shorts from the prongs to frame before trying it. No shorts. And I also checked for continuity between the 2 prongs. Sweet. She works beautiful. Tomorrow I may add a cold control if Larry can find one in his junk. Hay if it gets too cold yall can always unplug it. Actually I think this unit is going into a corner grocery store. If the owners get too cold they will know what to do. rofl
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:01:04 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
Re: Frigidaire Window AC 18,000 BTU
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
great to be resourceful!          with so many things working against you including manufacturer,its great to find a way

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire Window AC 18,000 BTU
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:07:31 AM »
The e coil should run about 40 degrees.
You can use a refrigerator cold control and insert the probe into the coil.
 Run the temp at A or B, or 1 or 2.
That would be about 40-45 degrees.
Take a Kid fishing.

reversing valves Window ac Heat pumps

Started by thepunk

Replies: 21
Views: 12207
Last post December 24, 2008, 04:02:36 AM
by Repair-man
Checking a window unit fan switch

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 0
Views: 2378
Last post April 29, 2009, 10:52:25 PM
by JWWebster
window unit fan switch

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 23
Views: 5699
Last post June 12, 2009, 06:14:39 PM
by jumptrout51
LWHD1200R Window Unit. Compressor won't shut off.

Started by bl8tant

Replies: 25
Views: 11058
Last post August 11, 2009, 06:10:09 PM
by bl8tant
Window A/c unit AS9M1

Started by boilrman

Replies: 1
Views: 3059
Last post April 20, 2010, 05:31:10 PM
by jumptrout51
Noisy LG LW1210ER 12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner