OK it has been some time since my repair and it's time to report.
The rubber inner tube patches worked and it's still holding up.
I did get some wetness and then it started leaking like crazy one day. It wasn't from the repairs before. The cause was a new hole developed around the little drain hole in the boot. I was pushing around with a flash light and saw that it was a worn hole the size of 1/8". I didn't take it apart this time, I just patched it from the front without taking it apart. It's on the surface there but you can't see it because it's in the well of the boot right in front.
It worked excellent and it runs dry again. I don't know how long I can keep rigging this thing up but the rubber patches seem to work excellent.
I never tried the PVC but the rubber definitely does the trick. Bleach and detergents didn't weaken my original patches.
So far so good, I will report in the future the status of this repair.