Author Topic: State brand Gas Hot Water Heater FYI  (Read 2239 times)

Offline SmrtAss

• VIP Member
State brand Gas Hot Water Heater FYI
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
Morning All...

I wanted to share a bit o information I learned about the State gas hot water heaters...

Last month I came home, had no not water.  Boy my wife was pissed.  Couldn't figure out for the life of me what was happening because i could relight it (after a bit of work of holding down the pilot light for 10 minutes) and then it would run for 10-20 minutes then die again.  I lived with this for a few days, heating it before showers and dishes until I could get this figured out. 

I called the gas company because i thought i may have had low pressure, nope, had great pressure...  Called numerous plumbers, each said on the spot to replace it with something else, until the last guy.  He said most state water heaters come with a 6 year warranty and to call the company. 

Sure enough, I called State and even though my manufacture date was six years and 2 months prior, they extended the warranty, saying they allow 6 months or so for sitting on the shelf.  Cool i thought.  After a little troubleshooting and BS with the tech support guys, they warrantied me a new assembly containing a new thermostat with fuse (the part that went bad), new temperature wire and ignitor.  A few notes about this, at first they tried to charge me $60 in shipping to ship them the parts, I of course denied, then with a quick Google search, i found a State authorized dealer down the street, once i asked them if i could pick up the parts there, they said sure and the local dealer took care of the warranty paperwork. 

Last piece of into, they also shipped me for free a new wrap around filter for the bottom of the heater and a brush to clean the ceramic air intake at the bottom of the heater. 

cool huh?  Enjoy the info!  Hope this helps someone else save a few hundred bucks by not having to replace a hot water heater. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: State brand Gas Hot Water Heater FYI
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

How often do you replace your water heater?

Started by frankster

Replies: 20
Views: 10357
Last post March 02, 2013, 07:45:21 PM
by bigbuck
whirlpool hot water heater

Started by bigjon30

Replies: 1
Views: 1820
Last post October 19, 2009, 05:58:51 PM
by JWWebster
Hot Water Heater went Nuts!

Started by slim

Replies: 4
Views: 2798
Last post November 02, 2009, 05:47:36 PM
by jumptrout51
Water Heater Fix -- little hot water -- fixed with inlet tube.

Started by sapp4l

Replies: 1
Views: 2121
Last post December 13, 2009, 05:08:45 PM
by JWWebster
The water heater of the future

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 0
Views: 1958
Last post December 28, 2009, 07:10:38 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool hot water heater