Author Topic: Is a new heating element needed here?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline mcf57

• VIP Member
Is a new heating element needed here?
« on: July 14, 2010, 08:47:39 AM »
I have a 12yr old Whirlpool electric dryer (model ler7646eq0) that doesn't seem to be drying as well as it use to. It takes at least two cycles to properly dry clothes. It has been suggested that it might be due to one of the heating elements no longer working properly and needs to be replaced.

While I am no professional repair tech, I have performed various small/minor repairs on some other appliances I have including a Maytag fridge & Whirlpool washer so I feel confident that I may be able to tackle this job if its not too hard. Does this problem sound like the heating element is the issue? Can the heating element of this Whirlpool ler7646eq0 be changed fairly easily by a novice?

If so, where is a good place to get the part needed? I do have a local Sears parts store in my area that I used for repairing my Whirlpool washer so maybe they would have some parts for this Whirlpool dryer as well. Would this be my best bet or should I go with someone online? I guess I would need a service manual as well, correct? If so, can that be found online as well or does it usually come with the part?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Is a new heating element needed here?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »
Unplug the dryer and remove the rear cover. You heater element has 2 screws that hold it to the heater chamber. Click picture for enlargement
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
If you have heat, your problem is not the element.  Most of the time it is a plugged vent.  Look in the back and make sure your vent hose is not crushed by the dryer.  Do you have good air flow to the outside vent?  You may need to clean your vent.  The best tool for cleaning long vent runs is the Linteater.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
The heater element is either gonna be good or bad no in between.
If the heater is good and all other components check for continuity:
You might have a bad timer or an electrical issue. The motor on your dryer runs on standard 120 wall current but the heater needs 240 volts for its 5000 watt element.
Over time the circuit breaker takes a beating on the heat load side. Just opening the outside vent can greatly improve clothes drying times.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

heating element

Started by brad

Replies: 5
Views: 4745
Last post February 15, 2008, 03:47:18 PM
by brad
How to Change Maytag Heating element

Started by SteveJ

Replies: 5
Views: 11481
Last post February 27, 2008, 03:14:57 PM