Author Topic: Motion to recall and discontinue the use of prefabricated pans.  (Read 1535 times)

Offline cheddarinagoat

• VIP Member

I have a serious issue with putting a unit designed to disperse heat (air conditioning condensor) on an insulatory prefabricated pan.  It's common practice, done everyday, and i think it's a mistake.

Concrete pads have desirable thermal properties, look better, and put money into small contractors. 

Prefabricated pans are cheap, easy, they insulate the hot bottom on the machine from the nice cool ground, and can warp if set unevenly.

@ three yrs old my machine wobbled, overheated, the compressor blown so badly that even after the proper steps to remove everything, it spewed about a gallon of foam on the side of my house.

Who's with me on an initiative to recall and discontinue the use of prefabricated pans?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Motion to recall and discontinue the use of prefabricated pans.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:35:31 AM »
Concrete is cheaper too.  Lesson learned.

Unfortunately, this is still not quite a good enough reason to abolish all other types of  base pads.  I have used both types in the course of my business and the  few times I used a composite pad they seemed to hold up OK. It's all in how they are installed, making sure they are on a level surface with no wobble is critical. Normally the plastic/foam pads hold up as long as the condenser does (12-17 years).

It sounds more to me that you had a questionable installation from the git-go. The condenser should not have come apart and sprayed your  wall.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Goodman Company Reannounces Recall of Air Conditioner/Heat Pump Units

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5059
Last post December 08, 2009, 03:52:04 PM
by AJ