Author Topic: Agitation and spin noises  (Read 2799 times)

Offline ricklee64

• VIP Member
Agitation and spin noises
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
Performa Quiet PAV3200AWW
First of all, I checked out the service manual, and this  model is not listed in the list of models in the service manual. Will the manual #16023083 still work for PAV3200AWW?

OK, my problem is probably fairly common, but I haven't found a solution here. When the washer agitates, it makes a racheting sound like a broken gear teeth or chain or something like that. On Delicate, it is not there. But on spin, it is really loud and sounds like it could break, but then it gets quiet after a minute or two. I saw on a Google search someone said it was a bad pump. But it really sounds like a bearing or the tranny to me. Anyone have a good idea?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Agitation and spin noises
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
Tip the washer back and remove the belt. No tools needed. Check the pump to see if it is stiff. Turn the main drive pulley and see if you can hear any noise. THIS PAV
manual is not your exact one but it shows some dang nice photos.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:50:57 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ricklee64

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I got the belt off, and the pump pulley turn freely. Don't hear any noise on it. I've turned the main drive pulley, but can't get it fast enough to make noise. I took the agitator top part off (the pictures in that manual you suggested are almost identical to my washer), and the agitator assembly rattles. I can't get it apart. I've spun the tub as fast as possible, no noise. But if I shake the tub, there is a slight rattle. I didn't mention that when the spin is done, the brake sqeals loudly.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
You could spray a little wd40 on the brake. Just turn the pulley to release it and squirt some oil up in there to quiet it down. You might just need a new agitator. I have ordered them before in the past for people.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ricklee64

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »
I tried the agitation and spin cycles without the agitator in place, and it still makes noise. It is definitely metallic not plastic sound. I mentioned Googling for the problem and I had found this which kinda sounds like mine, except for the screeching. Mine is more of a machine gun-like rattle:

"Recently this 7 year-old washing machine started getting noisy throughout the agitation cycles and during the first part of empty/rinse cycles. This screeching noise sounds like bearings or transmission gears (definitely metal-on-metal), and it's quickly getting worse and louder. When the spin cycle really gets going and water has mostly been pumped out of the tub, the noise is significantly reduced. I've pulled the front but, by ear, can't really determine if the noice is coming from the motor or the transmission. All is dry where it should be dry and there are no visible oil leaks."

Then he answered himself with this:

"I called in a professional repairman today. He diagnosed the problem over the phone immediately (as soon as I said "Maytag Performa, 7 years old"). It was the pump (bearings were shot). He came out with a new pump, and also replaced the belt (both genuine Maytag parts). Took him about 20 minutes total to make the repair."

I checked the pump pulley and it seems ok to me. Do you think the pump could be bad?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 05:26:11 PM »
Mostly it is the pump that goes out on these. Did you take the belt off and check it for movement in both directions. Can you see bearing separation?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ricklee64

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »
The pump seems fine. The pulley on it turns well and has no wobble at all. Because of space restriction, I could not get under the pump to look at the bearing, but it "feels" good.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
Get the front panel off and do a load. Use a flashlight to help you pinpoint the noise location. Caution: moving transmission parts may harm pets or small children.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle

Started by PB3

Replies: 13
Views: 13393
Last post March 28, 2008, 09:18:30 AM
by PB3
Whirlpool Washer Noise During Agitation and no Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 3
Views: 4920
Last post June 19, 2008, 09:00:45 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Washer LSR8010PQ0, motor runs, no agitation or spin, will not drain

Started by g6646

Replies: 6
Views: 2397
Last post January 24, 2012, 07:15:11 AM
by whirlpooltech
GE Profile washer wpre6150h1wt, fills, drains, no agitation or spin

Started by Fragger

Replies: 10
Views: 4633
Last post May 02, 2012, 07:04:38 AM
by AJ
Kenmore 70 series washer. No spin or agitation but drains.

Started by amikehoover

Replies: 3
Views: 1730
Last post August 17, 2012, 11:35:42 AM
by JWWebster
WTW5600XW0 - No Spin or Agitation

Started by bwalker25

Replies: 10
Views: 2504
Last post October 24, 2012, 02:33:24 AM
by Wedgeman55