Author Topic: whirlpool gas range bake and broil not lighting  (Read 5037 times)

Offline mike k

• VIP Member
whirlpool gas range bake and broil not lighting
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
I have a Roper / Whirlpool gas range where the top burners light but nothing happening with bake or broil. Not able to get a error code while holding bake and clock for 5 seconds. I am able to get the control to say good when holding the cancel button for 5 seconds. I am guessing the electronic control. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Mike

Model FGS326RD

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: whirlpool gas range bake and broil not lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »
Replace the oven ignitor.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline mike k

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
Thanks for your response. Wouldn't it be odd to have both bake and broil go out?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:10:21 AM »
This stove ain't got glowbar type ignitors. It has direct spark ignitors. It could be your oven valve. The top is sparking so you have a good module. If the valve has 216 ohms between all the terminals on the gas ditribution valve then you needs to check for 8 to 18 volts between pins 1 and 2 & 2 and 3 according to the instructions in the manual on pages 12.13,14 and so on.  I have the DS training manual DIRECT SPARK MANUAL

Always refer to your stoves tech sheet which is by the way sitting right beside the gas distribution valve in the back of the stove. Click on pick to enlarge.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:31:14 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Leonard707

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:23:41 PM »
JW very very helpful reply on this problem i am having the same issue and did the check for resistance on the terminals and have 218 on the oven port and i get nothing on the broiler so i guess that would mean i need a gas valve assembly?

Thanks for any response you can give!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:36:50 AM »
The oven has a distribution valve and ignitors are mounted for Bake and Broil. If the top burners won't light you know you have a bad DSI. But what if the oven don't work? You gonna need to do some checks at the J-1 connector on the DSI. Remember their is a 40 second delay built-in to the control for safety reasons. Lighting will therefore not be instantaneous. The gas distribution valve should have 216 ohms between all 3 terminals. Doing tests to the system requires both AC volts testing plus DC volts and that can cause you to fry your meter if you are not careful so pay attention to what you are doing.
That gas distribution valve gets the DC volts (8-18 VDC).
IMPORTANT: Do not attempt to operate it's solenoids with any other voltage supply. Not good! The ignitors require 120 vac to do their thing.
To recap: the gas distribution valve works on DC power while the ignitors work on AC. Refer to the service manual posted above for further instructions. If either side of that dist. valve is bad the whole shebang will not work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:40:05 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:51:03 AM »
... resistance on the terminals and have 218 on the oven port and i get nothing on the broiler ...
If the DSI senses one portion of the Oven Gas Valve is bad, it won't allow either to work.
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Whirlpool Polara Range--Bake, Convect Bake, Broil and Clean--no heat-no error co

Started by pjgrose

Replies: 16
Views: 3828
Last post June 27, 2012, 09:48:17 PM
by tgoods
Whirlpool Electric Range - Bake Cycle Not Working

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3633
Last post January 01, 2008, 03:44:30 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Range Bake Element Not Heating