Author Topic: Ice Maker- Maytag Refrigerator / Freezer  (Read 4407 times)

Offline coopsterj

• VIP Member
Ice Maker- Maytag Refrigerator / Freezer
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »
After ice harvest, and unit goes into fill/freeze mode, there is a small drip of water coming from the rear of the unit. It drips into the back left of the ice holding bin where after time (a week), it creates quite a frozen mess in the holding bin, i.e., auger won't turn allowing for automatic dispensing, and stop arm won't fall down far enough to allow for continued ice making. Remedy currently is to remove the bin once a week and clean out the ice jam and start over. The leak doesn't appear to be coming directly from the water inlet hose, as this sits behind the bin. Where I have noticed it dripping from is the back right corner of the ice making machine.  Any ideas?

Model MSD2556AEW

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Ice Maker- Maytag Refrigerator / Freezer
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:50:14 PM »
Is the water overfilling the mold?  When it does crop ice, how do the cubes look? Do they have "fins" on them?  There is a +/- dial on the icemaker that you can play with.  Also let us know in seconds, how long does the icemaker call for water.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
Do you have flakes in the cubes? The most common problem is the icemaker body coating comes off. You will see the metal uncovered by the coating peeling off. When this happens it will "wick" the water over the edge and cause an ice formation under the icemaker and in the ice bucket. Simple fix, change the whole icemaker assy. 3 screws and unplug,reverse and install new. Keep the "head" for spare parts as it may come in handy in the future.

Offline coopsterj

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »
Been gone since I posted my problem. Thanks for the quick replies.  No, there aren't any flakes in the cubes.  And yes the cubes have "fins" on them.  They look like fins on a squid.  You mentioned a +/- dial, and water fill is approx 5-7 seconds.  Where to go from here?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
water fill is supposed to be exactly 7.5 seconds
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline coopsterj

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
I can time exactly the water fill, if it runs longer than 7.5 seconds, how do I adjust for it. My next question is how does this get out of sync, and is it a harbinger of bigger problems down the road? Thanks for your help!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:45:32 AM »
The copper plate mounted on the back side of the main drive gear will get arced up something fierce and start sticking. This causes overfill. You can remove the main drive gear and clean this plate up but you might break the shaft. The water adjustment is on the right hand side about the 3 o'clock position. It moves the probe a hair one way or the other and the more copper this probe hits the more water comes in. No more than a quarter turn either way is all you should do. This manual shows better detail:

MODULAR ICE MAKER SERVICE MANUAL
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:49:29 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Refrigerator/Freezer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 9
Views: 4267
Last post November 13, 2008, 04:18:04 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Refrigerator no water and top of freezer is warm

Started by ewinds

Replies: 14
Views: 5252
Last post March 28, 2012, 12:26:40 PM
by AJ
Maytag Refrigerator - Hole for Ice Maker

Started by alec_01

Replies: 3
Views: 1570
Last post June 04, 2013, 04:06:46 PM
by quality
Maytag refrigerator side by side ices up at freezer hole on refrigerator side.

Started by robjoder

Replies: 5
Views: 2049
Last post July 03, 2011, 06:52:28 PM
by Ironhorse
Maytag refrigerator, top of freezer warm, bottom part still frozen...no ice

Started by tntrucker

Replies: 12
Views: 4817
Last post March 30, 2012, 07:52:13 AM
by JWWebster
Maytag Refrigerator- Model MSD2756GEB- Freezer OK, Fridge section not cool