Author Topic: No HEAT in Old Broad's Dryer  (Read 11094 times)

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
Re: No HEAT in Old Broad's Dryer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
Hi JWWebster,
That fuse you pictured is the one that AJ told me to check in that other forum.  I know where it is.  But ... do I have to remove that filter housing to get to it?  I can reach around behind the housing ... sort of.  Would that work? 
I looked at the coils as best I could. They seem to be okay ... but I couldn't get the heating element out of that box/case thing so my view was somewhat limited.  The wires to the box have a blob of black stuff securing them to the dryer base.  I was afraid to yank on them too hard.
I think I'm gonna pick-up a ratcheting nut driver.  I'm using a teeny tiny wrench to get these screw nuts off.  My hands are all scraped up ... I'm covered with God knows what all ... AND I found what appears to be a mouse nest IN THE VENT HOSE to the outside!  I'm actually seeing double right now! 
BUT, I am tenacious!!  I WILL fix this ... what'd you call it? a princess?  I'll tell you one thing JW ... she AIN'T NO PRINCESS ... she'd a  big white slut!!  LOL!
JW ... do you think I can find these parts (the thermal fuse and the other two "things" attached to that box)... or equivalent parts ... locally?  I live in Pennsylvania ... outside of Philly.  It's too cold to hang clothes outside ... they'd freeze!  So the sooner I can get this mother fixed, the better!
Thank you SO MUCH for being kind enough to help a stranger! 
God Bless!
babs

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »
I know it looks intimidating to remove that part but it comes right off. and then you can spy the fuse easily. I have worked on a few of these babys and it ain't all that bad. The fact you found a blockage in the vent hose confirms my suspicions that indeed this fuse is blown.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »
Thanks JW!  I'll pick-up that meter thing tomorrow.  I also have to buy a replacement vent hose ... the mice chewed through the aluminum accordian-type hose we had ... trying to get in from the cold.  In reading about vents on your site, I think I'll try to go with that rigid metal pipe stuff.  Just let the little suckers try to get in through that!  WOW ... ANOTHER PROJECT! 
Boy have I ever learned my lesson.  Once I get this "baby" going again, I'm gonna vacuum her guts out every six months!
I hope you'll be avaiable some time tomorrow to help me out with that continuity testing.  I'd really appreciate it.
Take care ... and THANKS!!
babs
PS  My next project will be draining my hot water heater and installing an overflow/steam vent pipe to the sink ... never got around to it when we installed it!  Bad girl!

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
PICTURES of Old Broad's Dryer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
Just thought ya'll like to see how CLEAN my dryer is now!
A+A+A+A+A+A+
babs

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »
nice pictures of the old princess dryer. That black thingy needs to be removed to find the mystery heat fuse. also on the right is the heat element. that thing on front is a shield that needs to be removed to access the heating element. By the way that element has an s shape and is the most expensive element whirlpool makes.thankfully it is easy to replace. you just yank it out. In fact you need to yank it out and examine it and clean out the heat chamber. On the outside as I have said before is high limits. one is a 250 degree and the one in back is a 300 degree melter. if it is open there will be no heat.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:06:44 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »
Hey ... Anybody there?
I bought that multi-meter thing, but I can't figure out how to use it.  There are 3 holes I can plug into, but only two wires???  I watched the video on how to use a multi-meter, but it wasn't much help to me.  I guess I'm stupid. 
I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out.  I have to test that thermal fuse thing ... and the other fuses.
By the way, JWWebster, I took that lint duct cover off ... vacuumed it out ... but I'd like to remove the blower wheel if it's not too hard.  I can't figure out how it comes off.  There's some white stuff caked on the spokes and my vacuum cleaner isn't picking it up very well ... won't fit in there.
PLEASE ... someone get back to me asap.  I'm ready to test this baby?
Thanks!
babs

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
You do NOT have to remove the blower wheel
the meter needs to be on the OHMS setting the GREEN range. preferably on the audible beep setting (If you have one) If continuity is present a little BEEEEEEEP can be heard. Neat ain't it? The  fuse as pictured should be seen next to that blower NOT BEHIND IT> if you trying to remove the blower wheel you is working WAY TOO HARD>
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 08:11:14 PM »
JW,
I sent you an email.
babs

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
NOT the FUSES?? .. No HEAT in Old Broad's Dryer
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
Hello All,

I think I figured out how to use this meter.  If I did it right, the fuses checked out ... beeped! 
I checked ...
 BOTH Thermal Cut-offs (on the heater case/box)
 and the Thermal Fuse on the Blower Housing. 
Basically ... I checked everything I could find.

I still haven't checked the voltage where the wires come into the dryer.  I'm not sure how to do that.  Help!

There is a white thing with wires that go through the heater box directly to the heater coils.  That white thing DID NOT beep ... but I'm not sure if it should have or should not have.  Is that a thermostat?  Should I check it?  How?

Also, do I have to remove all those attachments to the heater box in order to get the element out?  I haven't really been able to check it thoroughly with it still inside the box.  I was afraid to pull it out.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks!
babs

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 11:52:41 PM »
I guess you all went to bed ... or maybe you're just sick of hearing from me. 
I had hoped to get this thing done tonight so that I could order the parts I need ... Oh Well!  Tomorrow's another day!
I've got to get some sleep before I crack up!  But before I go, I have a couple questions that hopefully someone will take pity and answer for me.

When I was checking the thermal fuse on/behind the lint duct housing, there were two sets of wire "things" going into it.  One set was mounted the outter sides of the fuse.  The other set (violet) was mounted on TOP of the fuse.  I checked the two outside ones and they tested okay.  But the two violet wires on the top DID NOT.  Should all 4 wires have tested okay for continuity?

My other question is about testing the heating element itself for continuity.  I read in another post that I should remove one of the fat red wires going to the element and to then test for continuity.  I tested every which way I could think of ... removing one wire and then the other ... touching this and then that with the probes, etc.  I DID NOT get a beep. But, I'm not sure I placed the probes in the right places, etc. 
Could someone please tell me the proper way to do this?

Finally ... does the dryer have to be plugged into the outlet when I do the voltage tests ... which I have no idea how to do with this meter I have.  Do I test the outlet itself?

Well ... Night Night my friends!  Take care!
babs

IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Replies: 5
Views: 8278
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Replies: 5
Views: 7156
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 17
Views: 16126
Last post December 03, 2014, 12:15:07 AM
by BillR625
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 3770
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56
Creda dryer runs but makes only a little heat

Started by goldstonemr

Replies: 33
Views: 13684
Last post April 27, 2008, 02:56:23 PM
by Penguin45
Fisher & Paykel Dryer No Heat