Author Topic: No HEAT in Old Broad's Dryer  (Read 9179 times)

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
No HEAT in Old Broad's Dryer
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
Below I've copy/pasted my post from another forum.  AJ recommended that I post it here. 
Also, I have my dryer apart right now.  I could use some help.
Thanks!
babs

Hi Fella's!
I'm having a problem with my Whirlpool Dryer. All of a sudden it stopped heating entirely. Everything else seems to be working okay ... just ice cold!
I searched this site and performed a few inspections that seemed to be recommended to others with this problem.
First ... I checked the circuit breaker at the box ... turned it off ... waited about 30 seconds and then flipped it back on. NO CHANGE!
Second ... I checked the vent. I went outside to see if there was air flow through it. There was! I cleaned away some lint build up that I could reach, but I don't think that was causing a problem ... I hope.
Third ... I checked the lint trap from inside the dryer. I again cleaned out any lint I could reach. I regularly wash the filter itself, so I know that isn't causing the problem.
That's about it.
I'm thinking (hoping) it's a fuse inside the dryer ... or the thermostat. What do ya'll think?
Many years ago, I fixed our old dryer ... and our washer. Sears had had this service you could buy for $14.99 which gave you 30 days of step by step help over the phone. They helped me diagnose the problems, order the parts and then fix it myself with them on the phone guiding me through any tough parts. Unfortunately, that service is no longer available. SO, I'm here asking for help.
I have the basic tools ... and I'm more than willing to get my hands dirty. Hopefully, there is someone out there with a little patience that is willing to help me out.
I've pulled the dryer out and vacuumed the layers of dust ....
WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
Thanks to anyone taking pity on this old broad who's on a tight budget!
babs

Model GEQ9800LW0

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:43:56 PM by babs277 »

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Re: No HEAT in Old Broad's Dryer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »
do you have a volt meter ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »
remove the back and to the right is the heat chamber where the heating element is. It has thick red wires going to the element and to the  limit mounted on the side of the heater rated at 250 degrees F. above that at the top is another high limit rated at 300 degrees F
The dryer runs so the fuse mounted on the blower housing obviously ain't blown(it's wired into the lid switch) Remove one of the red wires to the element. remove one from each limit. Check these all for continuity. If any of these are open then it won't heat. If they all check out then their is a controling thermostat mounted on the blower housing. If it is open then their will be no heat. Lastly the fat red wire from the element comes from the timer terminal marked RH. If RH has no continuity when you turn the knob and try on any other terminal, then the contacts inside the timer is burned. Let me know what you find. Do you have a meter? if not let me know. I can show ya how to make a poor mans meter .
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:10:15 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 04:30:20 PM »
Wow ... thanks for replying so quickly.
No ... I do not have a meter.  I was thinking of running over to Home Depot to pick one up.  But, if I can fix this thing without it ... all the better.
I have to mention one thing.  I watched all the videos on this site, and when I opened up my dryer ... I thought there was a blanket of insulation covering everything.  It was DIRT/LINT/DUST etc.  I spent all day cleaning it out.  Question ... is there a possibility that the dryer will work now that is can breathe? 
Also, my dryer is a model with the lint trap inside the door.  It doesn't open from the back at all.  I have the parts info I got from the Whirlpool site for this model.  I can send it to you if you want.  Just tell me where to send it.  It's more than 120 KB so I can't attach it below.
I'll wait to hear back from you.
MANY MANY THANKS!!
babs

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »
Unfortunately diagnosing a dryer problem can be time-consuming without the aid of a meter. The very first thing a servicer would do is check for proper voltage at the wall plug. From there, it's an easy trip thru the little parts on the back of your dryer with the OHM meter. One meter...many uses. Without it, you are holding a shotgun and shooting at air.

And yes, you can teach an old broad new tricks :)

How to Check for Proper Voltage

Here's the layout of your dryer's heating thingies:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:32:19 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
Thanks Reapir-man! 
I guess I'll have to run out tomorrow and get that meter.  I hope they're not too expensive!
Also, the dryer layout you sent me isn't the one for MY dryer.  My dryer does not open from the back at all.  You have to go in through the front bottom panel.  My lint filter is not on top of the dryer ... it's in the door.
If you're interested, you can get the layout for this model (#GEQ9800LWS0) at the following whirlpool site ...

http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/product_literature/search_results.jsp?searchTerm=GEQ9800LW0&siteCd=WHRCOM

CONTINUING ON ... If you had to guess at a probable cause, what would it be?  I was thinking of ordering those thermal fuse things.  I have to get this dryer repaired fast, so I'd rather just order the "most obvious" parts I'll need.  I just need some advice on which parts I should get ... and a little help down the road when I install them.  I've identified most of the fuses, etc. on the dryer itself from the parts info I had downloaded.  I think I can do this, I just need some help knowing what needs to be done.  Understand?
Thanks!
babs

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »
The steps I usually perform on a dryer like your Duet are:
1. Check voltage at wall
2. Check continuity thru element
3. Check continuity thru thermostats, thermisters and thermals.

Takes me 2 minutes in all. You  too, with a meter.

If not found during this check, things naturally will require a bit more time to trace the problem to its source. Heat is cycled from the main control board inside the top panel on the left.  Your Duet dryer tech sheet points the way. Get your meter and lets get started.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:41:32 PM by Repair-man »

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
Repair-man,
Thanks.  I'll have to go out tomorrow and get that meter.  I was just hoping to get the parts "on their way" here.  This old broad ain't gettin' any younger!!  There isn't any chance that I'll be able to get the parts I need locally, is there?
Anyway, I'll be back after I get the meter.  I honestly don't know how to do that continuity check ... and electricity scares me to death so I'm overly cautious.  I'll need some guidance ... hint! hint!
Hope to talk with you again tomorrow ... PLEASE!
Regards,
babs
PS  I don't have a "DUET" dryer.  It must be an odd ball though.  Check out that site I sent in my last post if you have a chance.  Or, I can send it to you via email.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »
Don't know what part you need yet! Just to show we are on the same page, here is a wiring diagram provided by the nice folks at Whirlpool. You are right, it's a far cry from the Duet :)
http://repair2000.com/images/wiring_sheet_geq9800lw0.pdf
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:17:15 PM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:27:37 PM »
Hay I was checking your model number and I see you have the Princess dryer. All the working parts of this bad baby can only be accessed from removing the lower front panel. The heating element just yanks out for easy replacement on this girl. it also has high limit mounted on the heating element. I have a secret tip for you. If all of them safetys check ok. Their is still one more safety and it is mounted behind the filter bladder. It blows when that filter housing gets all full of lint. To get to it you must remove the filter housing. Their you will see this little beaut. what does it look like? Well lets see.This fuse pictured is called a duct fuse. The dryer will still run but she won't heat. Like I said it is behind the filter housing. Hay while you have that housing off take it outside and give it a good squirt with the old water hose.Ain't nothing but a coupla 1/4 inch screws holding that filter housing on. It is a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:36:47 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
Hi JWWebster,
That fuse you pictured is the one that AJ told me to check in that other forum.  I know where it is.  But ... do I have to remove that filter housing to get to it?  I can reach around behind the housing ... sort of.  Would that work? 
I looked at the coils as best I could. They seem to be okay ... but I couldn't get the heating element out of that box/case thing so my view was somewhat limited.  The wires to the box have a blob of black stuff securing them to the dryer base.  I was afraid to yank on them too hard.
I think I'm gonna pick-up a ratcheting nut driver.  I'm using a teeny tiny wrench to get these screw nuts off.  My hands are all scraped up ... I'm covered with God knows what all ... AND I found what appears to be a mouse nest IN THE VENT HOSE to the outside!  I'm actually seeing double right now! 
BUT, I am tenacious!!  I WILL fix this ... what'd you call it? a princess?  I'll tell you one thing JW ... she AIN'T NO PRINCESS ... she'd a  big white slut!!  LOL!
JW ... do you think I can find these parts (the thermal fuse and the other two "things" attached to that box)... or equivalent parts ... locally?  I live in Pennsylvania ... outside of Philly.  It's too cold to hang clothes outside ... they'd freeze!  So the sooner I can get this mother fixed, the better!
Thank you SO MUCH for being kind enough to help a stranger! 
God Bless!
babs

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »
I know it looks intimidating to remove that part but it comes right off. and then you can spy the fuse easily. I have worked on a few of these babys and it ain't all that bad. The fact you found a blockage in the vent hose confirms my suspicions that indeed this fuse is blown.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:08:14 PM »
Thanks JW!  I'll pick-up that meter thing tomorrow.  I also have to buy a replacement vent hose ... the mice chewed through the aluminum accordian-type hose we had ... trying to get in from the cold.  In reading about vents on your site, I think I'll try to go with that rigid metal pipe stuff.  Just let the little suckers try to get in through that!  WOW ... ANOTHER PROJECT! 
Boy have I ever learned my lesson.  Once I get this "baby" going again, I'm gonna vacuum her guts out every six months!
I hope you'll be avaiable some time tomorrow to help me out with that continuity testing.  I'd really appreciate it.
Take care ... and THANKS!!
babs
PS  My next project will be draining my hot water heater and installing an overflow/steam vent pipe to the sink ... never got around to it when we installed it!  Bad girl!

Offline babs277

• VIP Member
PICTURES of Old Broad's Dryer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
Just thought ya'll like to see how CLEAN my dryer is now!
A+A+A+A+A+A+
babs

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »
nice pictures of the old princess dryer. That black thingy needs to be removed to find the mystery heat fuse. also on the right is the heat element. that thing on front is a shield that needs to be removed to access the heating element. By the way that element has an s shape and is the most expensive element whirlpool makes.thankfully it is easy to replace. you just yank it out. In fact you need to yank it out and examine it and clean out the heat chamber. On the outside as I have said before is high limits. one is a 250 degree and the one in back is a 300 degree melter. if it is open there will be no heat.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:06:44 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

IA84600 Inglis dryer doesn't heat

Started by RickT

Replies: 5
Views: 6109
Last post January 16, 2008, 04:02:42 PM
by JWWebster
maytag dryer model # md 3500 (no heat)

Started by #13

Replies: 5
Views: 5147
Last post December 05, 2007, 07:15:02 AM
by apptech
LG gas dryer wont heat

Started by berniet

Replies: 16
Views: 12800
Last post February 14, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Dryer - Run, but does not heat.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 2114
Last post January 10, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
by fairbank56
Creda dryer runs but makes only a little heat

Started by goldstonemr

Replies: 33
Views: 10798
Last post April 27, 2008, 02:56:23 PM
by Penguin45
Fisher & Paykel Dryer No Heat