Author Topic: Refrigerator area not getting cold, freezer area with some buildup  (Read 5518 times)

Offline buzzbabyjesus

• VIP Member
Refrigerator area not getting cold, freezer area is cold with some buildup.  I think this means the compressor is working.  About two days ago a tall water bottle was shoved all the way back against the vent and froze partially.  It's almost like there's a blockage.  Ice?  Fan malfunction?  I feels like cool air could be escaping from the back.  I was just about to pull it away from the wall and check when I decided to look for a forum.  That's how I found you.

Model ABB2227DES

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I took a look at you wiring diagram. Your ice box features Automatic defrost.
It has a regular defrost heater and defrost heater thermostat but it use an electronic control board to determine defrost. So you have either a bad heater, open teminator or the control board is simply not defrosting. Most likely it is either the heater or the terminator that is gone. You gonna need to remove the service panel in the freezer and check the heater.
Click on picture to enlarge.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:57:35 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline buzzbabyjesus

• VIP Member
Mine has freezer on the Bottom.  Does that make a difference?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Nope. All of them work basically the same. The fan pushes the cold air upwards instead of downwards.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline RAH52

• Technician
If you look under the fridge on the right side front you will see a clear plastic bag that holds the tech sheet . on the tech sheet it explains the process to get the fridge into the diagnostic mode . Test 1 of the diagnostic mode will tell you whether the heater/terminator (which are in a series circuit) is  either shorted or open .Shorted means that the heater and terminator are good ,in fact if you leave it on this test for a bit you will hear the heater start to sizzle . If that the case then the board is bad .If the test indicated open then either the heater or terminator are bad .This is when the back needs to come off .If the heater tests ok change the defrost thermostat.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
What RAH said.  The most common defrost issue is 1. Bi-metal, 2. control board.  On these machines, they use a "cal rod heater" and I have never seen one go bad.

Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
I too have never changed a heater...have changed tons of bimetals ,you can actually see them swollen on top and occasionally boards . Biggest complaint I get is noisy air door motors .

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
I had a swollen one on a whirlpool top freezer today.  I have seen a ton of shot compressors on these Maytag built bottom mount machines.  Can't say I ever recall having that issue with the damper.  But they are noisy.  Just no one ever complained about it yet.  Whats your fix for that?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:32:28 PM by schaffersapplian »
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
They did change parts vendors a while back but over time these door motors get noisy also . I usually try to explain to the customer that this is a normal operating sound ..some believe me some think I'm full of crap .Your right about compressor failures ,not so much lately but around 2003 -2006 we were changing compressors like crazy .I found a new relay overload may or may not get the old compressors to run but invariably they would fail again . Sucks big time now that the warranty is only one year .Those puppies aren't cheap to change out .

Offline buzzbabyjesus

• VIP Member
I had felt the plastic containing the tech sheet and wondered if was something left behind at installation.  Last night I used "Forced Defrost Mode".  This morning the fridge is cold, so I ran the diagnostic tests as best as I could and the only one I'm sure it failed was Service Test 1 Defrost Thermostat and Defrost Circuit test.  The Defrost Thermostat tested out as "Shorted".   I'm getting somewhere and my food is cold 8).

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Re: Refrigerator area not getting cold, freezer area with some buildup
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
If test one told you defrost thermo shorted that means it passed the test ..shorted doesn't mean what you think it should ..it means the contacts in the thermo are closed and the heater is good . You have a bad control board

Offline buzzbabyjesus

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »
Turns out the problem was a bag of edamame at the back of the freezer keeping the door from closing all the way, and causing the freezer to overfrost.  also the upper door needed alignment.  We're good.  Thanks. :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »
          1 tablespoon olive oil
-       1 tablespoon butter or margarine
-       10 ounces frozen edamame - shelled, approximately 1 1/2 cups
-       1/2 sweet onion - chopped
-       1 red bell pepper - chopped
-       15 1/4 ounces (1 can) corn - drained or 1 ear of fresh sweet corn cut off the cob
-       1 stalk celery - diced
-       1 leek - sliced thin
-       1 clove garlic - chopped
-       1 tablespoon fresh oregano - chopped
-       1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper - more or less to taste
-       1 fresh tomato - diced
      salt and pepper to taste

* Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat.
    * When butter has melted, add edamame and stir to coat.
    * Add the onion and sauté for five minutes.
    * Add the bell pepper, corn, celery, leek and garlic.
    * Sauté for another 5-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender crips, not mushy.
    * Stir in the oregano and cayenne pepper.
    * Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    * Remove from heat.
    * Gently fold in tomatoes right before serving.
     When do we eat? :D
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline buzzbabyjesus

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »
Somehow it figures that if you know about refrigerators you also have an idea of what to do with the food inside. O0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »
Ain't never been accused of pushing away from the table too soon  :rofl:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

LG LRBC20512TT Bottom Freezer Refrigerator NOT COOLING fridge area!

Started by contactbrady

Replies: 7
Views: 11225
Last post February 07, 2010, 03:55:46 PM
by contactbrady
Amana Refrigerator Cold Freezer, Warm Refrigerator

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 7541
Last post September 18, 2008, 07:34:24 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Refrigerator too cold and things melt in freezer