Author Topic: maytag washer stops spinning very fast then makes loud squeak at the end.  (Read 10130 times)

Offline repairguy42

• Technician
stops very fast and makes a loud squeak at the end of spin.

Model pav2300aww

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
It has a good brake liner. You might want to lube the brake a hair to quiet it down.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Adding oil to it will allow the tub to move during agitate.  Allowing less then optimum wash performance.   It could also pose a danger to the consumer, When opening the lid, the tub could still be spinning because the brake is slipping.  The correct answer is to, either one, leave it alone, it won't hurt anything. Or two, go buy a brake tool, Remove the stator, and replace both the stator and rotor.  I have also heard that some will sand down the stator.  I don't know if that works, as I have never done that.  One thing I would never do is take a short cut of slapping some oil into the brake.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:44:27 PM by schaffersapplian »
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
I remember one time at a maytag service school one of the techs suggested he never replaced rotors and stators because they screamed at the end of the spin cycle ..he said he just oiled them up and they quieted down . The trainer had a bird and gave the tech a good dressing down . If you were to do that and someone lifted the lid and it kept spinning and they got their arm caught in the spinning tub it would be your fault and your law suit.
Been at this game for 38 years

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
A little bit of oil ain't gonna fugg up a 200# spring, Oil the sucker!!! Lay that sucker over and give it a good shot of Zoomoil while you turn the brake release. That is my tip it works Deal with it. Yer brake liner as pictured is up under the lip of the tranny's brake package. A 200 pound spring is forcing the basket to stop onto that liner. Oil that dude and it won't make no mo noise. See the 6 hex head screws? Remove those and it wouldn't be pretty. A spring is pushing downwards force on that. The thrust washer releases that spring with a cam riser when the motor reverses. A simple plastic pully and cam is what raises the brake liner so the tub can spin. Humidity will cause this brake liner to rust. Infrequent use will also make it rust and squeak. A small amount of oil will lube the brake liner so it don't make that annoying noise. Personal note: Asbestos would make no such noise but the new and improved non asbestos stuff ain't so quiet. Oil it.
Click pic to enlarge.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:27:58 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline repairguy42

• Technician
please excuse my stupidity, but were do you put the oil??   i have the zoom oil.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Place the tip of the zoom just  inside the inner lip of the brake stator (cover). Only use a drop or two because if you overdo this, your basket will turn when agitating, causing the  clothes to knot up.

The squeal is normal on these machines and is the result of a very shiny brake stator. It's the same principle as running your wet fingertip  around the rim of a wine glass, only louder. The factory method of  fixing the problem is to  remove the brake stator and  sand the shine off of the inside of the stator. Once the glaze is gone, so it the noise. Too bad you don't have the $100 tool to remove the brake safely.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:09:36 PM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
WD40 works also.Take the belt off and turn the main drive pulley to release the brake while you spray the brake liner.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline repairguy42

• Technician
thanks everyone for the help. a shot of wd 40 did the trick and did not effect the breaking ability....

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Glad ye could get er done!!!
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Maytag Ensignia Washer Loud Squeak at the end of spin

Started by Jaytag

Replies: 8
Views: 5665
Last post March 16, 2010, 05:48:18 PM
by Repair-man
Maytag Performa Washer makes loud squeaking sound

Started by texjake

Replies: 5