Author Topic: Calypso Washer  (Read 10125 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Calypso Washer
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
My daughter showed up with a calypso washer. It washes and spins but the Inner wash plate and Ujoint assembly is busted. How tough a job is that?Anybody ever done it? Any special tools needed? Here is the part: Nutation kit

Model GVW9959KQ2
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Calypso Washer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Pain in the ??? Should take about 2 hours if the bolts come out.Put break free on it and let it set for a while.They can come apart really hard .You can do it. O0

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:34:19 PM »
I've change a pump on one.  That is my one an only experience with this machine.  I got to tell ya though, I wasn't impressed with this one.  Kinda like the Neptune TL. Ever change a tub on one?  Not so impressed.  :tickedoff:
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
If I see one I make up an excuse to go home sick LOL

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
I tell em to get a new washer. Just awful machines.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
I learned how to get into it today. The whirlpool emblem is removable. Their is a long screw (quarter inch hex head) you remove. Then slide the top to you about 2 inches and you can raise the top. Then remove 4 screws on top and raise up the front panel an inch to release it. They use those same crappy clips as they have on dryers to hold the front on near the base. Gonna get Lil Chris to take some photos of the washer tomorrow. The tub is suspended with four rod just like a GE new style top loader. The motor for the pump looks like a 3000 rpm draft inducer motor. Same frame as one anyway. Robert says he has one that works but spins real slow. He gonna brang it tomorrow and we is gonna make one gud Cawipso washer outta 2 sh!tty ones  AND we is gonna photo document it. Plus I gets ta show case my new Black and Decker cordless screwdriver I got from Lowe's. It is bad to the bone. What yall thank?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:22:27 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
Those same crappy clips gave me a scar on the top of my right hand.  It involved a trip to the Hospital, 4 stitches, and a cast for 3 months.  My hand slipped when applying pressure to remove the thing, back side of my hand wailed the cabinet, splitting my hand open, and cutting half way threw my tendon on my 4th finger.  Not a good experience.  It was the first Dryer I worked on with those clips on the blower.  Every time I work on one today, I still have flashbacks. :ahhh:
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »
The Whirlpool Calypso had a very short production run.

The Calypso---and the Maytag Neptune TL (an even shorter production run) have the same reputation as the infamous French Chauchat machine gun.

Most appliances have their "quirks" or weaknesses but these were unique.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »
Robert brought a Calypso washer and we got busy on it. It ain't the same model as the one I have. I tore the controls water valve and top off it. I got the tub out and removed the pump got the hoses all off and the whole thing is out there waiting for me to put it back together. Why put it back together you say? Because I found the problem. A king size silk pillowcase ase jammed down in between the inner and outer tub. The tub turns beautiful now. ;D
Guess what I took photos  :rofl: I am gonna put this puppy back together and wash some clothes in it. Gona try and leave the tub out of the machine and connect the controls up to it and get it to wash and spin before I reassemble it LOL I am gonna sit up on the appliance lift and connect the head to it. Sit the lid switch off to the side and let it all run. So I can see how she works.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:28:26 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
Your new baby!

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »
 O0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 03:30:50 PM »
Robert can't take pictures worth a poop. That's me holding the pillow case. The bottom picture is the agitater. It will not come out without removing the balance ring.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:38:42 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
I thought you were taking pictures of the new black an decker

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
Dang I hope it don't rain. I gotta go cook Granny some soup and have that washer fixed bafore dark yall  :rofl: 2nd photo The Black and Decker electric screwdriver has no probs whatsoever at dat old agimatater  :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:36:55 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Kenmore Elite Washer (Calypso)

Started by BoomerD

Replies: 8
Views: 10205
Last post December 30, 2008, 01:00:58 AM
by BoomerD
8571359 Whirlpool Kenmore Calypso Elite Washer Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4987
Last post April 06, 2009, 03:02:32 PM