Author Topic: Maytag Frontload washer intermittent no drain condition  (Read 3448 times)

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
Maytag Frontload washer intermittent no drain condition
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
I was wondering whether I could use the MAH9700  series error code/service manual to attempt to get to the bottom of this problem?

Customer complaint is that she will start a load of clothes and come back when it should be done and sees the "nd" error displayed. I took a quick look at it yesterday and ran it thru a small load and then rinse and spin and the flow coming out of the drain hose seem fine and there are no kinks of any kind... this machine according to the "age finder" is 2006. The homeowner's husband said he thought there might be a coin in the drain hose, but I have a hard time believing a coin could get all that way and be stuck in the hose. When I ran it thru rinse and spin, I got a consistent flow of water out of the drain hose, and no error.

I have not done anything with the mah9700 manual yet other than scan thru it to see if it might apply, and it seems like it could be helpful.

Is there anything else I should look at or is recommended to check?

Thanks

Tony

Model MAH8700AWW

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Maytag Frontload washer intermittent no drain condition
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
I would suspect a coin in the drain pump or drain hose.  I have seen this before.  Most of the time if a coin does pass the pump, you should replace the pump.  I got burned on this a few times.. What happens is when something gets in there, it will chatter against the pump blades and distort them.  Causing erratic draining.  

1.   Order the pump and drain hose
2.   Go to the house, open her up and see what ya find.
3.   If you find a coin in the pump, or drain hose, Replace the pump.
4.   Be sure that there are no restrictions in the drain hose.

The tech sheet for this machine should be tapped to the back of it.  Its got all the info to get into diagnostic mode.  I don't think the 9700 keys are the same as the 8700.

The gray drain hose's that come with these machine's are notorious for springing leaks.  I have seen them wreak havoc on the motors.  When water is splashing back there, It makes it's way into the motor connector, frying the connections, or the motor.  I must have had 6 or so 3E codes in the past 2 months.  Including on my own washer (MAH8700AWW)  I had to change my motor :-(
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:41:01 AM by schaffersapplian »
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:45:04 AM »
Same here.
Coin or button in drain pump/hose.
Usually drain motor impellers are chipped/broken off...

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
I've repaired a machine with the exact symptoms and yes indeed it was a coin in the drain hose ..it acted like a flapper sometimes water would get past sometimes not . These machines would be far more reliable if they had a pump guard .
Been at this game for 38 years

Offline tcape

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:00:08 AM »
Problem solved!-

I replaced the drain pump and the hose and everything was fine. I did notice when I removed the drain pump I look into it and see it looked like impeller blades and one I could see came out from the wheel a normal height and two other  blades looked like they had broke off flush with the wheel. It's nice to actually see the evidence!

The only real issue I had with the job was that the male spade terminals were not protruding far enough out to plug in the electric and I did not see that right away and as a result had no power to the pump. I looked at the old pump, saw the terminals were sticking out further and then found there was a plastic clip that appears to hold the terminals out to the proper place so the female plug will make a good connection. This clip was not where it was supposed to be till I pushed back and it locked into place. Maybe this happened during shipping or was not 100% assembled from the factory...

Thanks again for all the assistance!!!

Tony

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
 :banana: :banana: :cheers:
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

My Maytag washer won't drain

Started by krisncameron

Replies: 1
Views: 3600
Last post November 18, 2007, 12:45:00 PM
by apptech
Maytag Washer Spin & Drain Problem

Started by lulubovary

Replies: 1
Views: 2588