Author Topic: WET3300SQ1 Water temp issues  (Read 5618 times)

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
WET3300SQ1 Water temp issues
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
On occasion, wife reports that water is hot when cold selected, vice versa.   I looked and she seemed to be right, but today I was going to tear into it, and checked the water and seems like cold is cold, hot is hot.  

I see a part called the ATC temperature on the wiring diagram, but can't find that part on the maching parts list.  Where is it, and can it cause weird water temp problems??

Thank you!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Water temp issues
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:45:06 PM »
Usually their is a thermister located on the downspout. I looked at yours and their ain't one.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »
I took off the top, and there is a thermistor apparently, in the rubber fill hose, just where it comes off the valve module.   Here is a link to the wiring diagram which is inside the unit.   It is called the ATC sensor.    Can that, or the AT switch, be intermittenly wacko???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/jimbo6679/atc0001.jpg

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »
If their is sumpin in dat hose I cain't see it. Numba 7

Much mo betta pic of numba 7 here
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
Have you seen this excellent water valve replacement video from Red? ?

Note. You gonna need to remove the splash plate between the dryer and washer on dat laundry center to access them spring clips and then you can get that case off just like you see in the video. Depending on the model is a little diff from year to year. Yours might be a skinny mini and in that case the front panel comes off. Here is a manual which features many different laundry centers including yours: THIN TWIN SKINNY MINI SERVICE MANUAL
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:54:54 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »
I appreciate the work, and thanks for the parts list.   I seem to have an oddball.   Here is the water valve, showing something, I assume the sensor, in the outlet hose:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/jimbo6679/DSCN0495.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/jimbo6679/DSCN0494.jpg

It I really confused because everything seems to say that if you select just plain COLD on the switch, it should be all cold.  The ATC comes in when you want to select hot/cold, warm cold, coo/cold combos.    Again, I triple checked and when I put it on COLD the hot water comes the lower of the two connections on the back, to the valve which has the RED connector.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
Oh cool . The water valve has the thermister on it. Let me look
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »
Do you know if the thermistor should be hi resistance when cold, decreasing as it gets hot...or vice versa?   I will pull the top againg tomorrow and check it.   Depending on what it does, maybe if I just disconnect the thermistor, I can get some cold?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »
Thanks very much!

I did find a chart in the Accuwash job aid which indicates that the thermistor should be about 130 Kῼ @ 40F, and 10 Kῼ @ 150F.     I will check that tomorrow, and if it is OK, I guess that points to the ATC switch.     I will let you know.

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »
I tested the thermistor.   It read about 65K at ambient ( about 65) and decreased to about 20K as hot water was introduced.    This seems about normal per the chart I found.   I guess I need to change the ATC switch.

For now, I reversed the connectors on the hot and cold water valves, and things are more or less normal.

I checked once again....I have my cold water hose going to the upper fitting, which had the white connector, and hot water hose going to the lower connection, valve with red connector.   And I double checked that in fact cold water is coming from the cold hose, etc.   The problem must be in the machine

On the + side, I am getting really good at getting the top off!   You have to pull it back a certain distance, twist if just so  counterclockwise, and work it up.    Reverse for putting it back on.     The left side clip is interfered with by the side outlet vent discharge, but you can wiggle it "just so" to get it on!

Will whirlpool provide free parts to a homeowner doing his own repair?  The machine is only a few months old, so I assume it would be covered by warranty if I called for service, but I just like to do it.    Already, when he machine was just 2 weeks old, I had to replace the high limit temp switch on the dryer.   All the exhaust is brand new free flowing, no issue with that.     Maybe I just got a lemon!

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »
Even if your selector switch says hot,the way your valve works you will not be able to fill your tub with only hot water.Sorry,welcome to conserving energy.Try explaining this one to a 70 year old lady,who's last washer would fill with hot water? ::)

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
Even if your selector switch says hot,the way your valve works you will not be able to fill your tub with only hot water.Sorry,welcome to conserving energy.Try explaining this one to a 70 year old lady,who's last washer would fill with hot water? ::)

Very true.

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
This is a great forum!   I appreciate all the feedback.    I can live with the mixing, but the biggest problem is that when I select flat out cold, it was coming in all HOT.    As I mentioned, I have reversed the connectors on the hot and cold valves, and it works sort of, so I can get at least  a cool wash.    I am still leaning towards a bad ATC switch, and I may replace it just because.   I would like to get it from Whirlpool, but am assuming I will probably have to spring for it.  Looks like it runs about $26

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
You gonna need to replace that temp switch.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Water temp control

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 6
Views: 1387
Last post March 14, 2010, 08:03:43 AM
by Repair-man
GE Washing machine water temp switch Model #WBB2090G3WW

Started by Washaman

Replies: 4
Views: 1181
Last post September 29, 2011, 06:55:54 AM
by niobrara
Water Collecting in Boot on Select Frigidaire Front-Load Washers

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 3419
Last post August 05, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
by Cananot
Video: How To Replace a Water Pump On A Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6800
Last post August 10, 2007, 08:42:54 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 25131
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Won't Drain Water / Smell

Started by mightymac

Replies: 22
Views: 20982
Last post February 15, 2013, 04:35:03 PM
by def