Author Topic: whirlpool utlicare 2 wont agitate or spin but will drain water - grinding noise  (Read 5380 times)

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
help washer shot the bed on Friday and I have disassembled it only to be stumped. Motor is out coupling is good transmission is out. Transmission seems to be leaking oil out the input shaft?    Clutch looks god but never worked on a machine before so that means little to me.

I would like to fix asap please help

Matt

Model lsq9659lw1

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Take the cover off the tranny and look for a stripped main gear and then remove the main drive gear and look for a smashed spin pawl. Use this MANUAL
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 06:03:51 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
Ok I did some more investigating and found 3 things;

coupler not broken but when loaded would slip ( slightly worn)
Oil on top of gearcase and  seemed to be oil spray on on gearcase to motor plate.
CLutch was intact but definitely seems to be coated with  gear oil ( fine film)

should top of shaft just above the actual gearcase be wet with oil? I assume not so I am thinking that seal needs replacing and the one under it as well.

I checked the tranny and it seems to work as it should but will disassemble to further inspect.
It does seem smooth and does not seem to hang up.  Is there a seal for the top of the gear case? What type of oil?

JW, I appreciate the quick reply!!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Dude just put a new coupling on there being careful not to bind the tranny or motor.
The slightly stripped out coupling I have seen many times. It works good enough to wash but spin it just slips. seen it.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
Ok  will go with the coupling only and report back to you. It's easy enough now to assemble and disassemble.

What is the trick to aligning the clutch to the cam on the basket it looks like it should be 180 degrees from the brake spring?  Is there a trick or tip?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
No trick, just make sure they don't hit when you put it back together. The washer will get it in the correct position.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
assembled it going for new coupling this am and also replacing my agitator dogs. They were completely blown out.  I usually get a little pissed about failing equipment but I figure this washer has done about 2500 loads in 7 years for the family and farm so it was about time it needed some tlc.

Hey maybe my wife is right I am growing up LOL ;D

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
ok now it spins (drains water) and agitates at the same time after reassembly. Is it me, something I did  or is the tranny shot?

I only replaced the coupler and the agitator cam dog assembly

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
You need to replace the tranny. A pin is sheared away from the drive plate causing agitation and spin simultaneously. Seen it.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
worth it to fix the machine is 7 years old ebay new gearboxes are $105 plus the $50 in parts I already spent. My wife and I are both on the fence as the washer gets used alot but the dryer  is fine.   I hate to spend $150 for parts to have the machine croak. Although what else big could go wrong?  timer? motor? I guess they could  go but who knows. The local guy has a great rep and is selling a whirlpool estate washer for 369   

I will figure it out  with my wife   thanks for all the help

Just found out he has a maytag mah3000 for 349 its a rebuilt model.

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
the mah3000aw is a neptune i thought these had problems?  Thoughts on that front loader versus a newer one?

Offline NEHoss24

• VIP Member
found a new tranny locally for $135 so that is the route I am going

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Thats a good idea. We have them in boneyards around here for $40 bucks.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
I have 2 used ones in my shop you can have how far are you from my house?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
To get here you go to the end of I65 take a left and take the first exit right. Go 4 blocks. Look for the beer joint. Turn right and find the first fish mounted on the garage. :D
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool washer can not agitate but can spin and drain water

Started by martintu

Replies: 3
Views: 2417
Last post May 14, 2010, 07:14:23 AM
by martintu
Whirlpool WTW4850XQ0 Grinding noise during Agitate & Spin

Started by rockinrobin

Replies: 8
Views: 3248
Last post March 04, 2013, 02:12:53 PM
by haroldsappliance
whirlpool ultimate care II leaking water from bottom front and wont spin

Started by vasdoc

Replies: 6
Views: 7119
Last post October 12, 2008, 09:20:49 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer will agitate wont spin

Started by whit

Replies: 1
Views: 2619
Last post November 15, 2008, 03:07:35 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool washer wont drain or spin

Started by Skivy

Replies: 5
Views: 4240
Last post July 02, 2009, 07:28:26 PM
by whirlpooltech
Whirlpool Washer doesn't spin, agitate, or drain?

Started by Tropix

Replies: 13
Views: 7299
Last post August 07, 2009, 11:10:39 PM
by JWWebster