Author Topic: Frigidaire Front Load Washer Will Not Spin  (Read 6572 times)

Offline KevinS

• VIP Member
Frigidaire Front Load Washer Will Not Spin
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »
Hi Folks – this is my first post here regarding my Frigidaire front load washer, model #FTF630AS0, approximately 7.5 years old.

It basically will not spin at any point, nor will the timer advance.  The door lock indicator light works, the door does lock, and the wax motor does hold the door locked if it is in what should be a spin cycle.  It will also fill and pump out water when manually set to those positions (which requires functioning door lock contacts based on the wiring diagram).  As a side note, I know the spider bracket and bearings are a big problem on these machines – both appear to be fine.  We’ve always used liquid detergent, so perhaps this is why we’ve been lucky here.  

I found the diagnostic procedure contained with the wiring diagrams misleading as they seemed to indicate a bad timer based on the voltage readings at the speed control board:

Steps 1-3 check out fine.
Step 4 indicated that on the Heavy Wash position, that between pin 5 of the 6-pin connector and pins 1,2,6 & 10 of the 10-pin connector, the voltage should be 120V @ pins 2, 6 & 10 and 0V @ pin 1. I get 120V @ pins 1, 2 & 6 and 0V @ pin 10, so I decided to try a new timer.  
Step 5 is a fuse check, which is also fine.
Step 6 is a check of the resistance between pins 1,2 & 3 on the 6-pin connector of the speed control (which should be 3.0 Mohms).  Resistence starts off very high, but eventually bleeds down to ~0.3 Mohms after several minutes.  Not sure if this is a typo or whether the readings are that far off.  I decided to try the timer anyways as it was the first item in the diagnostic procedure to show incorrect results.
Step 7 is a resistence check of the motor which also checks out fine.  As a side note, at no point is the motor actually receiving a voltage signal from the speed control board.

I bought a replacement timer as well as shocks (I noticed one was broken when I had the machine apart).  With tax, this totalled just over $270 from a local appliance store (I made the mistake of trying to fix this in a hurry!).  Plugged in the new timer and there is no difference whatsoever in the behaviour of the machine.  

I also found the following service manual online, although I’m not certain it applies to my model:
http://frigidaireservicetips.com/pdfs/360_TumbleActionWashers.pdf

Following “Timer does not advance” on pg 47 it tells me I need a new speed control board.
Following “Drive motor does not turn” on pg 50 is inconclusive as my readings don’t match up with either leg of the flow chart.

I’m thinking it must be the speed control board, but wanted to get some opinions before I throw another $100+ at it ($220+tax locally).  I am debating getting a new machine as well, but I would have to sell the timer online for a loss as I cannot return it to the store due to their nice fine print about no returns on electrical items (and 25% restocking fee on anything else).

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire Front Load Washer Will Not Spin
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
Jf you have 120 volts to motor control and unit is not moving ,replace motor control

Offline KevinS

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »
Jf you have 120 volts to motor control and unit is not moving ,replace motor control

Thanks for the reply.  I have 120V between pin 5 of the 10-pin plug and pin 5 of the 6-pin plug.

Just to make sure, "motor control = speed control board" right?

Offline KevinS

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:06:13 AM »
A little playing around and I have observed the following and thought I would add this info:

The timer WILL actually advance on it's own at certain points.  If set to Heavy Wash, it will NOT move on it's own and voltage at pin 5 of the 10-pin plug is 120V. 

If I manually advance a couple clicks, the timer WILL move on it's own for ~1min and voltage at pin 5 of the 10-pin plug is 0V.  When the timer stops moving on it's own, the voltage reading will jump back up to 120V.

This repeats several times throughout the entire cycle as long as I continue to advance the timer a couple clicks manually each time it stops.  At no point does the motor turn.

Offline KevinS

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
The replacement speed control board arrived today and the washer is working like a charm again.  I was a little worried at first as the part number did not match what I had ordered.  The auction was for a board #134058400, which is what is in my washing machine (Frigidaire FTF630AS0), however I recieved a board #134859500.  It turns out it was compatible, but this is something the seller should detail in the auction.

The store took back the shocks (I ordered them online now) but they wouldn't take the timer back - so I have a shiney new timer installed as well, even though I didn't need it :)  Next time I will come here first before relying on misleading factory diagnostic procedures.  

Thanks again for all your helps guys - I really appreciate it!

Offline KevinS

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »
Can anybody confirm if speed control board part number 134859500 is an acceptable replacement for 134058400 on a Frigidaire FTF630AS0?  As I stated below, it does work, but I wonder if there would be any difference for balancing the load on certain machines?

The seller apologized and sent out the "correct part" ASAP, but I received a second 134859500 board.  I'm assuming they are drop shipping from the manufacturer and this is what the manufacturer is supplying for a replacement part?

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »
Speed control with base for FTF630as0 is
in the USA reliable parts  131770700 subs to 134149220 $181.00

I had one like this it would not go into high speed on normal set on High speed... it was the speed selector switch...
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

FRIGIDAIRE front load washer wil agitate but will not go into a final spin

Started by sjcjmc

Replies: 7
Views: 4895
Last post February 02, 2009, 11:47:19 AM
by Penguin45
Kenmore Frigidaire front load washer - No Spin

Started by jpn43

Replies: 8
Views: 5064
Last post September 01, 2009, 08:52:36 AM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire front load washer wont spin cycle

Started by Scott7m

Replies: 10
Views: 4986
Last post May 17, 2010, 07:58:24 AM
by Repair-man
Frigidaire Front Load Washer FTF2140ES0 Does Not Spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 1850
Last post December 24, 2011, 12:48:59 PM
by AJ
Frigidaire front load washer does not spin

Started by avi

Replies: 4
Views: 803
Last post August 16, 2012, 09:55:18 AM
by avi
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 5949
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ