Author Topic: Maytag Washer Fills, Will not move...Now leaking  (Read 2003 times)

Offline gyron

• VIP Member
Maytag Washer Fills, Will not move...Now leaking
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
I have a Maytag Performa Washer.  Last night it made a little bit of a sqeualing noise when spinning.  But it finished the cycle no problem.

When we started it tonight for the first time, it filled , then started to agitate, and stopped.  Now the tub is full of Water, and when you spin the cycle selector, it does nothing but hum.  I decided to take the front off to see if it was a belt or something and found that there is about 1 inch of water in the bottom of the tray that I didn't see before I took the front off the washer.

Any ideas?  I'm guessing the water pump went out?

How do I get the water out of the washer to work on it?  

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Model PAV3200AWW

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: Maytag Washer Fills, Will not move...Now leaking
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »
A shop vac works the best to remove any water in the tub, and or, on the floor. 

1.  Unplug the machine.
2.  Tilt the machine back and support it, either by using a block of wood or by leaning it against the wall.
3.  Remove the belt from the underside of the machine.
4.  Spin all three pulleys by hand an check how they feel and sound.  ( the large pulley in the center is your thrust bearing, clockwise for spin, counter clockwise for agitate. 

If you can't determine by spinning one of the pulleys what the problem is, you can rule the motor out by, leaving the belt OFF, and setting the machine back down to see if it still hums in spin or not.

At this point if you still can't see anything wrong, Re-install the belt, and with the front cover off, watch for either the leak or malfunction.

I would guess the your pump is shot, or something caught inside of it.  These pumps are notorious for the pulley to unseat off of the pump impeller shaft. 

Let us know what you find, we would be glad to help you further if need be.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline gyron

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
Ok, got the water out with a fish tank siphon.  Lifted the washer up and the belt and one of the pullies were aying on the ground under the washer.

I had to pull the washer out and down the stairs to the garage because the pan that was supposed to be catching all the water was leaking bad.  Apparently the guy who installed it for us cut a hole in it and the just put the washer over it.  The pipe going into the drain was also broke.  I am not sure if he did it putting in the washer or if I did it pulling the washer out.  So I won't blame that one on him.

Thank you for your help and very quick reply.  At this point, I will have to look at it tomorrow. 

If the pullies were just laying on the ground with the belt, is it possible, this could be a cheap fix for me?

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
Which pulley was it, the front left pulley is the motor, the center is for the agitator, and the right side is the pump, was it plastic or metal?  The pump pulley is the only one that is metal, and is also directly related to a component with water in it.  

The pump for your machine can be bought from our affiliate "Repairclinic.com"  Here is a link to the PUMP
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
You gonna have a pump replacement which is about $70
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:38:17 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gyron

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:41:50 AM »
Metal Pulley.  Thanks for the info!

Maytag Washer - Fills with water, then does nothing...

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 9518
Last post February 21, 2008, 05:34:00 PM
by AJ
Maytag Washer Leaking

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1639
Last post June 06, 2008, 01:58:24 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag Atlantis Washer, fills starts stops