Forum > Dryer Repair

Creda dryer runs but makes only a little heat

(1/7) > >>

goldstonemr:
hello all, i have been given a creda dryer that runs but makes very little heat.  the heat button is depressed to select full heat, also i turn the timer round to the max.  its about as warm as my breath!  i have cleaned the dryer thoroughly for lint, etc - none found!  the timer does not tick down - i presume it should?
thanks, john.

Model creda tu12

JWWebster:
well dude I had to dig deep to find this element in the UK

http://www.appliancepartsdirect.co.uk/store/product/14529/10001---Heater-Element/

Trying to get parts in the UK must be quite a chore.

Either you have a bad element or a bad electrical breaker.

goldstonemr:
thanks for the info, so you dont think the timer is anything to do with it?
should it 'tick' down, and does it matter that it doesnt (as long as i dont leave it on all night!) ?

JWWebster:
It s a strong possibility it is the timer. Follow the heat wire from the element to the timer. I am only guessing but this creda dryer is supposed to be a hotpoint and that is GE. I am thinking their are maybe 2 of them elements and one is gone out. Or maybe you have a burnt contact where it is marked RH. This is just a guess but I believe this timer can be taken apart and the points on the contacts cleaned with a file. I have done it on hotpoint timers. If you have the dryer unpluged. you can put a meter between RH(with RH wire removed)by turning the knob you should get continuity between rh and other terminals on the timer. If you cant get a reading then the points on that terminal are burnt. Sometimes these can be cleaned with emory cloth or sandcloth. Have you got any pics of the timer?

goldstonemr:
hello, i checked the continuity across the heat switch and it switches ok.  i found the 2 little thermostat cut offs and there is a continuity, individually, through the pair of them.
pics of timer...

hope these make sense to you!!
i didn't notice any obvious signs of burnt out parts - im starting to think, like you said(!), its one, or both, elements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version