Author Topic: Dishwasher heat element was white and sorta smelled bad and now just stopped  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Beehive Appliance

• VIP Member
    • Beehive Appliance Service
Sorry, I was telling him to try a fuse workaround only on a temporary basis and figured that shouldn't be on the open forum for others to use and get hurt on my watch.
Beehive Appliance is a family owned appliance repair business in Utah established in 1946. From dishwashers to dryers, we repair it all. If you are looking for expert service at a reasonable price, look no further. Beehive Appliance Service is your solution. Give us a call today! 801-523-8184

Offline Shers

• VIP Member
Thanks for all your help Ryan. Finally figured out where it was and got the fuse out.  Hubby is going to test it soon.  I'll post in a bit.  O0
Sher

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Sorry, I was telling him to try a fuse workaround only on a temporary basis and figured that shouldn't be on the open forum for others to use and get hurt on my watch.
This kind of info is allowed,so long as you express the test only usage rather than a fix.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
BeeManator thank you for contributing to the best appliance repair forum in the www dot world. No need to go all secretive on diagnosing stuff. Run it by one of us if you feel uneasy, so we won't feel left out. Great things are happening in the field of appliance repair. Nothing pissses me off worse than another tech holding back vital info that can help ALL. That is why I am a contributor here. If you feel a person or property could be harmed whilst attempting a repair tell em so. And tell us too. I don't want to burn my dang house down either. Hello.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Beehive Appliance

• VIP Member
    • Beehive Appliance Service
I had Sher bypass the fuse temporarily to test the function of the machine. This confirmed that the fuse had blown. If anyone reads this later, please do not do this as a permanent fix. This fuse is blown primarily by temperature. I don't want to hear that someone burned down there home because they bypassed a safety on my account. Anyway Sher the part that you need is a Whirlpool part # W10258275. This forum seems to sponsor Repairclinic.com. I personally have not used them. Any repair company should be able to get the part for you. Let me know if you have any problems finding it Sher

Thermal Fuse Part # W10258275 Thermal Fuse, AP4423189

Beehive Appliance is a family owned appliance repair business in Utah established in 1946. From dishwashers to dryers, we repair it all. If you are looking for expert service at a reasonable price, look no further. Beehive Appliance Service is your solution. Give us a call today! 801-523-8184

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
This forum seems to sponsor Repairclinic.com. I personally have not used them. Any repair company should be able to get the part for you. Let me know if you have any problems finding it Sher

To clear things up a bit. We are affiliated with RepairClinic.com

This link will explain a bit more about what that mean.

Affiliate Disclosure

My goal when I started ApplianceJunk.com just about three years ago is still the same goal I have today for the site.

That goal is to help people save money by helping them repair there own appliance.

It's great if you can pick up the part at a local repair shop or what ever. It's also great if you do order the part online that you consider using one of our parts affiliates.

But in either case the most important thing is that you are able to get your appliance repaired and that we share the information on how that was done here in our forum so others can learn from it to.  O0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to give a big thanks to all the technicians that volunteer there time here helping others. This site would not be what it is today without all the help I have had with it over the years, thanks!!  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Shers

• VIP Member
I just wanted to say "Thanks" to all the techs that offered support and advice.  This website is a wonderful place for DIY people.   O'yall .... I meant to ask you technicians what makes the thermal fuse go out ?   Could it be like a power surge ?   Just curious.

Many Thanks, Sher :)

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
A Thermal fuse can break 2 different ways.

1. A thermal fuse is looking for a specific temperature.  Once that temp. is reached, The fuse blows. The reason for a device like this is to prevent a melt down of a machine.  There could be another problem inside the machine somewhere. 

Or,

2. It blew like a light bulb,  Electrical components only last for so long.  Some light bulbs burn faster then others in homes. Most likely due to poor contacts in the socket that the bulb plugs into. Same goes for every other electrical component.

Lastly, the kit with the Bi-Metal comes with a wire harness.  USE IT!  If you take the short cut installing it, you may be changing that little bugger out again very soon.  Whirlpool has had issues with the original wire harness and the way it contacted the thermal fuse.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline Shers

• VIP Member
Just a note to all involved ..... received part with harness and hubby installed.  I'm back in business.  HIP HIP HORRAY !!!
You guys are wonderful.  Many Many Thanks !
 O0

Sher

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Glad to hear that you got it repaired. Thanks for the update.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Miele Dishwasher has plastic melted to drying/heat strip

Started by thewebb

Replies: 1
Views: 1437
Last post January 13, 2009, 12:13:19 PM
by Repair-man
Dishwasher leaking at heating element

Started by randyj

Replies: 5
Views: 3397
Last post November 08, 2010, 08:03:01 AM
by BrntToast
Dishwasher Leaves White Film On Dishes

Started by ryan111

Replies: 18
Views: 24461
Last post June 28, 2012, 12:08:35 AM
by nolazach
Please help, my dishwasher stopped draining.

Started by Z

Replies: 5
Views: 1062
Last post April 08, 2012, 01:43:58 AM
by ApplianceGuru
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 7097
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool dishwasher manual

Started by naes

Replies: 15
Views: 18176
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
by AJ