Author Topic: Maytag Performa washer agitates during spin cycle but will not spin  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Bill

• Technician
This washer will not spin and customer also complained about slow agitation. Inspected pulley and encapsulated bearing and appear to be in good shape. Removed and inspected brake assy and also looks good. Reassembled machine and closed lid switch and washer started spinning but seemed slow. Stopped machine to check agitator and now machine agitates when timer is placed in spin. Both transmission shafts turned freely when brake assy. was removed.I am a little confused because I know the motor has to reverse to cause the unit to go from agitate to spin. The only thing i didn't do was verify that the motor actually reversed directions. I had no water in the tub but I could manually manipulate the pressure switch tomorrow to verify. Not ready to contemn transmission yet but and advice would be appreciated. If it was mine I would junk it but the customer wants to try to fix it if cost feasible. I hate these new maytags. (junk in my opinion)

Model PAVT920AWW

Offline magician59

• Technician
You may be looking at multiple problems here. Slow spin can be caused by a dragging brake (due to a worn thrust bearing), or a bad high speed winding in the motor. Agitation in "spin" setting indicates a bad transmission, or a bad timer. Further diagnosis is certainly warranted here.

Offline Bill

• Technician
I closed the pressure switch put washer in wash cycle and the motor ran one direction and agitated. Then placed washer in spin mode and the motor reversed direction but the unit continued to agitate. Another defective maytag transmission I must presume. I have a good used transmission but do not know if I want to go through the trouble to replace it.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
I could be mistaken, but some of those machine built before January 2006 had some 5 or 10 year warranty's on the transmission.  If you have access to the owners manual it will have it all stated in there.  You will need a purchase date a well if it is covered.   
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
I believe all of your problems lead straight to your transmission.  I have seen this time and time again.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Maytag Performa washer rattles and jiggles excessively during spin cycle

Started by junodaniels

Replies: 8
Views: 4261
Last post January 25, 2011, 06:09:42 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag washer MAV6451AWW, agitates in spin cycle?/

Started by amac

Replies: 5
Views: 1426
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:12:28 AM
by JWWebster