Author Topic: LG Dishwasher not so hot  (Read 193 times)

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
LG Dishwasher not so hot
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »
 Having a no heat issue with an LG dishwasher, m/n LDF 6810 ST s/n 705KWHX04604. I have seen similar posts but would like to mention a few notes.  Purchased for about 60% off from HD as a slightly damaged floor model back in 2007. The door had a nice ding in the side from getting a jolt, also breaking the latch and I ended up replacing the front panel and door latch.

Itís been fine since though my biggest complaint is the detergent dispenser never fully opens due to a poor design with the top tray blocking it. So after about 45 min I always open the door, let the dispenser cover pop open all the way and continue, otherwise some detergent is leftover at the end of the two hour cycle.

Other item, which may be the root of the problem, it seems that even after 6 to 8 hours after a wash the inside of the dishwasher is still warm, not hot but certainly above room temperature; is this normal and can the inside retain the heat for so long? I would expect when all lights go out after two hours the unit is completely off or does the heating element remain on?

Anyhow, two mornings ago I opened up to empty the dishes having run it the night before and they were still wet. Running another cycle the water didnít get all steamy after half an hour as it normally does but did seem a little hotter than out of the tap (I have an electric HW heater and keep it at 120 degrees).

Thinking now maybe the control PCB may have incurred some damage way back, (reason for staying warm for so long?) perhaps a hairline crack on a trace or the loose wire theory. Any thoughts while stripping apart? BTW I did run through the test mode and all seemed normal though I will need to open the front panel to test the heater element.

Thanks!

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: LG Dishwasher not so hot
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »
run test mode and do amp draw on unit. it will jump up to 8 or so amps

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
Thought I would put off until Tuesday but couldn't resist, thanks to John63 post figured out in about 10 min, open heater element. Question, I measured RD3 pins and with power button off still had 13.25 vac, not a lot but could explain why still slightly warm after 6 hours of wash cycle, is this normal? Doubt it would be PCB since it is covered in 1/8 of clear rubber and could probably take a blown from a hammer to crack. Now to purchase the part, may post pics but already a great video on Repair Clinic.
Thanks!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »
<<< Itís been fine since though my biggest complaint is the detergent dispenser never fully opens due to a poor design with the top tray blocking it. >>>

Normal---the Detergent Dispenser Cover/Lid---will open to about a 90 degree angle (hits the upper rack)

<<< some detergent is leftover at the end of the two hour cycle.>>>

Not caused by the Detergent Dispenser Cover/Lid.

This symptom is caused by a weak Wash Motor

All LDF6810 dishwashers have a flawed Wash Motor.

Symptoms include:

1) Noisy during wash cycle

2) Subpar wash results/performance

3) Detergent residue at end of cycle

4) Intermittent "LE" error (interrupted cycle)

Solution: Replace the Sump Assy (AJH31248604)

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-motor-pump-assembly-ajh31248604-ap4447671.html

<<< it seems that even after 6 to 8 hours after a wash the inside of the dishwasher is still warm, not hot but certainly above room temperature; is this normal and can the inside retain the heat for so long? >>>

Normal.

There are 2 points in a cycle in which the heating element is energized/used...

1) Main Wash (about halfway through the cycle)

2) Final Rinse (at the end of the cycle)

A stainless steel tub not only has an attractive appearance---but retains (saves) heat much longer than plastic tubs.
This dishwasher (like many others) has a "thermal blanket" ---surrounding the tub---to further "save" heat from Main Wash and Final Rinse---which will later be used for drying the dishes/silverware etc during the DRY CYCLE.
A small fan motor within the door pulls moisture/steam from the tub

The heating element is *never* used/activated during the DRY CYCLE.

<<<Anyhow, two mornings ago I opened up to empty the dishes having run it the night before and they were still wet. Running another cycle the water didnít get all steamy after half an hour as it normally does but did seem a little hotter than out of the tap >>>

Difficult to answer that question---without knowing which cycle was selected.
It may be that the Heater began to heat the water for the MAIN WASH portion of the cycle---when you opened the door

<<<I have an electric HW heater and keep it at 120 degrees >>>

That's fine---but be aware of this...

On a typical late-model LG dishwasher---If the NORMAL CYCLE is selected...

The software is programmed to reach a "Target Temperature" of 142F

If the WATER HEATER is set at 120F...

By the time water enters the dishwasher---and splashes onto the cool stainless steel tub---it's now about 90 to 100F

The Time Remaining Display on your model dishwasher will *stall* during MAIN WASH and FINAL RINSE---to allow the heating element to bring the temperature of water---to the Target temperature

It takes the dishwasher/heater an average of 3 MINUTES to increase all of the WASH or RINSE water 1F

If the (house) water heater is set very low...

The fill water "loses" heat during entry into the tub...

If the *actual* temperature is 90F...

How many minutes are needed to reach Target Temperature"? (usually never does---defaults and continues onto the next cycle)

This adds maximum run time to *any* wash cycle selected (except newer models with an option to select a QUICK cycle without the DRY CYCLE)

<<< Question, I measured RD3 pins and with power button off still had 13.25 vac, not a lot but could explain why still slightly warm after 6 hours of wash cycle, is this normal? >>>

Normal.

Earlier LG dishwashers---do NOT have a Heater Relay.
Yours was built May 2007

<<< thanks to John63 post figured out in about 10 min >>>

Good job:)

I'd replace the SUMP ASSEMBLY rather than the Heating Element (comes with the Sump Assy)

I would also replace the Guide Assy...

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-guide-assembly-4975dd1001a-ap4442244.html

When you see it---you'll know why:)

Updates have improved it as well.

Good luck

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:09:03 PM by john63 »

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »

John-
Thanks so much for the detailed explanations and great advice, so glad I didnít push the Buy Now button last evening. Just to be sure, the p/n you provided for the sump assembly comes up as not compatible on APPro. According to the service manual for the 6810 model ďM006 SUMP, ASSEMBLY 3485ED1002BĒ  references http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-sump-assembly-3485ed1002b-ap4440788.html Hate to get everything pulled apart and find out the part is one screw hole short.
Also on the guide assembly (aka the Water Inlet, again Repair Clinic has a video) I did have the growling noise described in the Q&A for m/n LDS5811but that seemed to be coming from the sump and sounded like some broken glass, which did happen one morning, and eventually stopped. Didnít see what the advantage would be to replacing the guide.
Thanks again!

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »
Apologies, I was typing in LG6810 as the m/n when it should have been LDF6810ST, thus the reason for the mismatch in part numbers.

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
Parts ordered, plus a few of the upper tray rollers. So these newer parts are now turbo charged (exaggerated) and should see an improvement on cleaning? Other half often complains of dishes not being spotless, so I hope this upgrade will be worth it. Have read about techs showing up and asking "why did you buy an LG?". Good deal back then but time will tell...
Thanks again, will update once installed.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36:25 PM »
The AJH31248604 Sump Assy is the part number to order for your dishwasher.

When installing it---the only differences will be:

1) The plug for the TURBIDITY SENSOR does not reach the sensor on the replacement Sump Assy
Unless the black electrical tape is removed to allow additional "reach" for the relocated Turbidity Sensor.
However---it's well known to those intimately familiar with LG dishwashers built from 2004 through 2012---that leaving the Turbidity Sensor ***unplugged*** will allow for better/more consistent cleaning results.
No error code will be displayed---by leaving the Turbidity Sensor unplugged.

2) The two Sump Assy mounting tabs have been re-designed and cannot be used on newer Sump Assys.
Simply break off the plastic "ears" on both sides of the tabs to allow re-use.
If this is a problem for you---I can provide the part number for the newer-type mounting tabs ( I always re-use the originals).

<<< So these newer parts are now turbo charged (exaggerated) and should see an improvement on cleaning? Other half often complains of dishes not being spotless, so I hope this upgrade will be worth it. >>>

It'll make a major difference in the dishwasher washing/cleaning results.

The GUIDE ASSY has been improved/re-designed to eliminate a *very* random leak-at-the-door complaint
As well as random noise that can begin an hour into the cycle---and remains noisy until the cycle ends.

<<< Have read about techs showing up and asking "why did you buy an LG?" >>>

When a "tech" says that---this is the Translation:

"My God---you've bought an LG!"
"I'm absolutely terrified---because I cannot diagnose one of those---let alone repair one."

It's usually followed by...

"I can never get parts for those"
"They're junk"

Finally---make an effort to use a RINSE AID (fill hole is located on the Detergent Dispenser Housing)

Since your dishwasher (like many others)---does NOT use the heating Element during the DRY CYCLE...

Using Rinse Aid---changes the *surface tension* of the water (in the dishwasher)

Very simply---it prevents/stops "clingability" of water

If you've not been using Rinse Aid---here's what happens...

After the FINAL RINSE cycle ends---and the last of the water is being drained out...

Small droplets of water will "hang" on the stainless steel "roof" of the dishwasher...

On the upper rack---and all items within it...

On the lower rack---and all items within it

On the silverware basket---etc...

Hundreds of droplets of water remain behind---when the last of the rinse water has drained---and the DRY CYCLE begins

Using RINSE AID prevents this (droplets)

The result is a much more effective/consistent---drying performance.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:39:46 PM by john63 »

Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 7089
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool dishwasher manual

Started by naes

Replies: 15
Views: 18149
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:26:57 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher - Check for foreign objects in food chopper.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 20893
Last post August 08, 2007, 12:43:21 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 13206
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Dead whirlpool dishwasher