Author Topic: Frigidaire Stackable Washer Dryer Washer Wont start  (Read 10576 times)

Offline texjake

• VIP Member
Frigidaire Stackable Washer Dryer Washer Wont start
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
Hi
I have a Frigidaire FEX83CS0 Stackable Set, the dryer works fine but the washer won't start. I'm guessing it's the timer, I have a multimeter is there a way to check the timer? It looks like it has a few leads and I'm not sure which ones to test.
Thanks for looking

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Frigidaire Stackable Washer Dryer Washer Wont start
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »
Have you tried bypassing the lid switch?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline texjake

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
Ok I have bypassed the lid switch. Won't even fill up with water or make any sounds the dryer works great though. The timer is pretty pricey, just trying to make sure that it's the right part before I replace it....

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »
If the washer does not fill with water I would first check for power to the water inlet valve. If you have power to the valve it may need to be cleaned out or replaced.

If you do not have power to the valve I would trace it back with the meter to see why not.
Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »
Hi
I have a Frigidaire Stackable Set, the dryer works fine but the washer won't start. I'm guessing it's the timer, I have a multimeter is there a way to check the timer? It looks like it has a few leads and I'm not sure which ones to test.
Thanks for looking

Post the model number...

Check the *orange* wire at the motor overload (small plastic case on motor frame). If the wire is broken--repair & try the washer.
If this wire is *open* the entire washer will be "dead".

Also--remove the motor plug / inspect and re-install.

DO NOT bypass the lid switch for testing purposes. This type of lid switch differs from most others and damage can occur from doing this.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »
No model number is given: how can you be so sure bypassing the switch could be bo bo?
What in your opinion exactly would happen if that switch is bypassed? I would love to hear it.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline john63

• Technician

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »
no harm can be done to a newer frigidaire washer by bypassing the lid switch
except maybe personal injury....  if its moving, don't stick your hands in it people!

however... older frigidaire washers put the heater for the lid lock in series with one of the motor windings, if you by-passed this latch you would smoke the motor
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 02:54:52 AM »
ok, what john said, but easy to understand

if the machine is stone dead,  no spin or fill  you need to check the overload on the motor its a lil black square box on the side of the motor with 2 wires connected to it(to test this you can unplug the 2 wires and press them togeather enough that they stay connected)
you are doing this with the power OFF to the washer
 then retry the machine

all circuits in a frigidaire top load washer are routed through the motor overload, if this trips and does not reset the machine is dead in the water
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline texjake

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
Hi
Thanks for the help so far. I did take the harness off the motor and put it back on snug. Now the machine starts fills with water which it did not before. When I put the timer on agitate or spin the motor hums but does not move. So I have taken the motor off and can spin it smoothly with my finger both directions. I took the motor out of the cabinet but still hooked up to the harness and when I put it on agitate or spin it only hums. I'm guessing the motor needs to be replaced but before I do is there anyway to confirm a bad motor?
Thanks Guys

Frigidaire Stackable   model  FEX83CS0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
With the belt off energize the motor, if it hums and is hard to turn by hand it is "Poling out". In other words the bearing has worn to the point the rotor is rubbing and magnetized to the stator. If you can turn it by hand while energized and it will take off like moody's goose in a tailwind then you might want to invest in a capacitor if one is on that model. Careful that puppy don't bite you now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:10:53 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the help so far. I did take the harness off the motor and put it back on snug. Now the machine starts fills with water which it did not before. When I put the timer on agitate or spin the motor hums but does not move. So I have taken the motor off and can spin it smoothly with my finger both directions. I took the motor out of the cabinet but still hooked up to the harness and when I put it on agitate or spin it only hums. I'm guessing the motor needs to be replaced but before I do is there anyway to confirm a bad motor?
Thanks Guys

Frigidaire Stackable   model  FEX83CS0

If the washer is 5 years or older---there's a possibility that the TIMER contacts have burnt sufficiently enough to cause a drop in voltage to the motor. This causes the motor to "hum" and then overheat.

The LID LOCK/SWITCH contacts are known to do this as well.

The MOTOR SWITCH contacts can also be burnt.

I have seen Frigidaire top load washers that were used heavily (12 loads per week or more for 5 or more years) that required all three components (MOTOR/TIMER/LID SWITCH LOCK ASSY).

Testing these components by measuring amperage usually identifies the culprit. Sometimes---visually inspecting the contacts is really required to get a measure of the condition of the three sets of *contacts*.

It's very frustrating to replace a motor only to find that the new motor "hums"--so verifying fault is critical.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »
Wonder how this ended? I got the same issues here. LOL! :rofl:

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Frigidaire gallery washer/dryer combo

Started by fast times

Replies: 7
Views: 3548
Last post November 21, 2010, 10:16:25 AM