Author Topic: 1940's Frigidaire refrigerator  (Read 11754 times)

Offline riverbender

• VIP Member
1940's Frigidaire refrigerator
« on: May 13, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »
I recently got a hold of a 1940's(?) Frigidaire refrigerator.  It is in good working condition but I would like to know more about it and possibly replace some of the aging parts (door gasket, YT relay, brittle wiring, etc.).  Problem is, I cannot find anything anwhere about this fridge.  Anyone have any ideas?  Frigidaire model #5400333.

Thanks.

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: 1940's Frigidaire refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:58:50 PM »
I recently got a hold of a 1940's(?) Frigidaire refrigerator.  It is in good working condition but I would like to know more about it and possibly replace some of the aging parts (door gasket, YT relay, brittle wiring, etc.).  Problem is, I cannot find anything anwhere about this fridge.  Anyone have any ideas?  Frigidaire model #5400333.

Thanks.

Try contacting this outfit---they would be the most likely to have information on antique refrigerators.

http://www.antiquevintageappliances.com

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:27:08 PM »
 I was just distracted by that vintage appliance website for about a half an hour. I like the 1950's Philco V-handle. I didn't know there were that many old appliances around to support a business like that.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »
Most of them are super-cool...

I cannot help but wonder how our "grandparents" delivered these heavyweights--to a third floor--without an elevator.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »
You guys ever notice those cool appliances on Rachel rays 30 minute meals? Her stove is a chambers Model 61C from the 50's
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 07:41:12 AM »
I'll bet they are all referbed with modern innards.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »
No you can get rebuilt parts as well as replica parts and restore them to original. That is what I do. I prefer the 1940's or 1950's style as a lot more parts available. This is now 20% of my service work in N CA. I am 1 of 2 people that do this north of SF bay area. Amazing, I can rebuild a Wedgewood or O'Keefe & Merritt for under $1000.00 and it will be good for another 25-35 years.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:03:09 PM »
Old stove guy I wish you could post some photos, that would be cool. Us old guys ain't up with that computer picture taking crapola.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »
Old stove guy I wish you could post some photos, that would be cool. Us old guys ain't up with that computer picture taking crapola.

It would be awesome to see photos of theoldstoveguy's work.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »
I use the old fashioned camera, uses film. Used to do Weddings and stuff. Nikon FM old school stuff. I'll see if I can scan some prints & add it to my post. Sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong era.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
I wonder if Rachel Ray was the one who picked her appliances or that was all done by someone who intends to subliminally make these younger women long for some bad to the bone back in the day sho nuff spectacular appliance? The newer stuff looks good but can not perform like the old tried and true stuff. What yalls take on it? The new dawg can't hang LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 08:37:23 PM »
I wish it was a law that nothing could be out there for sale unless Mr JW put his stamp of approval on it. That would be cool.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »
Once you have cooked on one of these stoves,you can't go back. Ovens are much more accurate. The burners had a true simmer burner( in center) and a higher BTU outer burner. Notice most of the new ranges to obtain a simmer you must by a diffuser plate at a fancy cooking store. The old stoves had that built in. Most people had a stew or soup always simmering on a rear burner. Remember there wasn't refrigeration in those days. Kept adding and cooking, eating stew or soup all week. If I had it my way I would work on nothing but OLD STOVES and Dependable drive Maytag washers and dryers. You can fix them and they keep on going. Kind of like that Energiser Bunny on TV. My stove is a 1938 O'Keefe & Merritt made in Los Angeles CA. sold @ the 1939 Worlds Fair on Treasure Island San Francisco CA. The owner's Daughter had all original papers. That's how I got started on them 20+ years ago.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »
I bet you have it in a nice kitchen too.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline riverbender

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
Well, I was off on all but the date of the fridge.  It was manufactured in either 1942 or 1946, probably '46 according to the general info I was able to find.  It is also model MI 7.

I found some places that given me some great info but still looking for info on parts.

Thanks.

Frigidaire Refrigerator Ice Dispenser Problems

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 7504
Last post June 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
by kcfinch
Frigidaire Refrigerator not cooling anymore :(?

Started by yahoo

Replies: 4
Views: 7143
Last post March 29, 2008, 08:19:36 AM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Refrigerator Won't Make Ice

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4506
Last post April 09, 2008, 07:35:03 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Cooling Properly