Author Topic: Electric Dryer blows internal circuit breaker  (Read 1009 times)

Offline stanstr

• VIP Member
Electric Dryer blows internal circuit breaker
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:09:43 AM »
My in-laws have an - I'm going to call it an antique - Kenmore dryer. They bought it in 1957 had have been using it regurarly since then.

It's electric, running on 220V, and blows it's internal circuit breaker within a couple of minutes of turning it on.

I fixed another problem they were having with it maybe 3 months ago. One of the V belts came off (the bigger one), the main drive pulley was loose, and the bearing was shot.

I pressed a new bearing into the pulley and shaft assembly and put it back together with new belts. I used a sintered brass bearing. It it seemed ok and was running true when I left. Almost immediately it had problems, and when I went over the following week it had destroyed itself - it was actually pulverized. It turned into a small hand full of bronze powder on the floor inside the unit.

I put in another bearing, this time a Glass-Filled PTFE bearing. It was a lot easier and it works a whole lot nicer.

NOW, the problem is that the circuit breaker trips and shuts the dryer off within about 3 minutes after starting it. This is a round breaker just inside the lint trap door on top of the machine. Is there any way I can test the breaker? How easy is it to replace?

Any help diagnosing why it trips would be appreciated.

Model 110.563892

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: Electric Dryer blows internal circuit breaker
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »
This is REALLY old stuff.

I've seen perhaps a dozen of these in almost three decades of appliance service. The last one sometime in the 80s.

I wish I could help.

These dryers (if I remember correctly) had solid copper wires rather than strand-wire. The connections to the timers & switches were SCREWED-IN instead of push/pull connectors.

Reminds me of a GRAVELY---all heavy duty farm-grade equipment.

Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Maytag electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5770
Last post July 31, 2007, 12:38:27 PM
by AJ
Video: How to check voltage at cord on a Whirlpool electric dryer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7269
Last post August 06, 2007, 05:57:19 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Electric Dryer - Model F60909644

Started by txgal

Replies: 1
Views: 2928
Last post August 07, 2007, 08:21:33 AM
by AJ
Frigidaire Electric Dryer - Dead