Well, I got this thing back together and ran about three loads of clothes thru it. So far it is running well. I had patched the holes with JB Weld and also added small pieces of aluminum screen for reinforcement, then spot primed and put a good thick coating of clear RTV in the recessed areas and around the valley of the rim where the tub boot connects. RTV was probably not the best choice for this, but I was unsure what else to use. I guess if I see small pieces of it laying in the filter-flo tray, I will know it's days are numbered. I elected to use 80 weight gear oil for the tranny as what was remaining in there seemed much thicker than 30w and it was only 75 cents more a quart. I had forgotten how quiet this thing can run as it had gotten very noisy with no oil in it. I'll post a follow up if any other issues come up - thanks for sharing your info with me.