Author Topic: Duet Tub Bearing Replacement  (Read 13603 times)

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Duet Tub Bearing Replacement
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »
How it's made:

Glad I don't have one.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »
My personal choices would be:

FRONT LOAD WASHERS:

LG (no surprise there)

Samsung

Speed Queen (on concrete floor & if smaller tub size is NOT an issue)

TOP LOAD WASHER

Speed Queen

Whirlpool (sold under several brand names)

As JW mentioned--Whirlpool top loaders (excluding the Cabrio agitator model) are a very simple design.

We sold Stabers in 2003---and were very disappointed with them.
After selling about half dozen--problems were near-immediate and we bought them back.
Admittedly--this is dated information. It's entirely possible that corrections were made since then. Still, I'm not a fan of this washer.
Tub size is too small for most consumers.

I have no experience with Miele or Asko laundry.

After reading a little online, there seems to be a LOT of unhappy Staber customers out there. I find that fairly disconcerting for such a small company. Too many unknowns to buy a brand like that. The SpeedQueen frontloaders are my favorites right now because theyre made in America, they have a stainless drums and tubs, and have a great warranty,

3 year warranty on parts and labor for the entire washing machine
5 year limited warranty on the motor
5 year limited warranty on the cabinet
5 year limited warranty on the bearing and seal assembly
A lifetime warranty on the stainless steel wash basket
A lifetime warranty on the stainless steel outer drain tub

I did a quick search on the LG's and Samsungs, I like the idea of the direct drive motors they use. Although, if the bearings were to go out, that would make the repairs that much more complicated. Their warranty's arent quite as good as SpeedQueen, but still worlds better than Whirlpool. What features do they have that you would recommend them first?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 07:14:50 AM »
Hey John, who are some of the distributors for Speed Queen here in the US? I have not  seen them at the usual spots in Austin. I thought they were only in the Euro market nowadays after Amana sold them.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
I would contact Speed Queen (www.speedqueen.com) to find the nearest distributor that serves the Texas market.

I forget the legal details--but after several buyouts/mergers--the non-compete clause that prevented SQ sales in the USA ended at or about 2006.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
We sell speed queen at our store.  I haven't worked on one yet, but the Mechanics of this machine are identical to the Amana platform washer or the SAV model Maytag.  If they have the same or similar seal compared to the older Amana's I would see them being an ok machine.  If the seals are similar to the fiasco with the triple lip seal.  I would never buy one.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 09:00:50 AM »
I did a quick search on the LG's and Samsungs, I like the idea of the direct drive motors they use. Although, if the bearings were to go out, that would make the repairs that much more complicated. Their warranty's arent quite as good as SpeedQueen, but still worlds better than Whirlpool. What features do they have that you would recommend them first?

Bearing failures on LG & Samsung front load washers are rare.
I had ONE bearing failure on an LG washer that was (7) years old.
This LG was the pre-TRUE BALANCE model (balance ring on drum) and was installed on a wood floor which caused excessive shaking/vibration.

For the Samsung also--a single bearing failure. This one was a pre-VRT model and was also installed on a wood floor. The amount of shaking/vibration in this case was fairly severe. The customer was never happy with it for this reason. She bought a new VRT model Samsung and the difference is profound--no shakes at all.

If Speed Queen front loaders had a similar balance feature--I would recommend them for wood floor laundry room use. Speed Queen tub bearings are *very* robust.
A few customers with the SQ front loaders were complaining of shakes/vibration and walking even though the washer is on a concrete floor. This was attributed to overloading the tub (packing too much laundry) and I have found that this tends to occur because of the smaller tub capacity.

Having serviced front loading washers since the 80s--I have had the priviledge of working with some absolutely horrible designs.
LG is the easiest to service--followed closely by Samsung.

The warranty team (service  management) has been very accomodating towards customers. This may seem par-for-the-course in the appliance business but it is NOT.

The negatives for both brands would be:

Possible difficulty finding an authorized service center in your area.

If a service center is available--technicians may not be knowledgeable enough to resolve problems.

Possible difficulty obtaining replacement parts.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »
We sell speed queen at our store.  I haven't worked on one yet, but the Mechanics of this machine are identical to the Amana platform washer or the SAV model Maytag.  If they have the same or similar seal compared to the older Amana's I would see them being an ok machine.  If the seals are similar to the fiasco with the triple lip seal.  I would never buy one.

I heartily agree. The non-compete years were a joke.

The difference between the Maytag/Amana--which was a heavily watered-down version of the Speed Queen and todays SQ laundry is profound.

Gone are the plastic transmission gears/water tank seal leaks and a host of other cheapified manufacturing issues.

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »

Bearing failures on LG & Samsung front load washers are rare.
I had ONE bearing failure on an LG washer that was (7) years old.
This LG was the pre-TRUE BALANCE model (balance ring on drum) and was installed on a wood floor which caused excessive shaking/vibration.

For the Samsung also--a single bearing failure. This one was a pre-VRT model and was also installed on a wood floor. The amount of shaking/vibration in this case was fairly severe. The customer was never happy with it for this reason. She bought a new VRT model Samsung and the difference is profound--no shakes at all.

If Speed Queen front loaders had a similar balance feature--I would recommend them for wood floor laundry room use. Speed Queen tub bearings are *very* robust.
A few customers with the SQ front loaders were complaining of shakes/vibration and walking even though the washer is on a concrete floor. This was attributed to overloading the tub (packing too much laundry) and I have found that this tends to occur because of the smaller tub capacity.

Having serviced front loading washers since the 80s--I have had the priviledge of working with some absolutely horrible designs.
LG is the easiest to service--followed closely by Samsung.

The warranty team (service  management) has been very accomodating towards customers. This may seem par-for-the-course in the appliance business but it is NOT.

The negatives for both brands would be:

Possible difficulty finding an authorized service center in your area.

If a service center is available--technicians may not be knowledgeable enough to resolve problems.

Possible difficulty obtaining replacement parts.

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to look into those lines a little closer.

Offline mohawke

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

I must admit that reading your post had given me the courage to try to
replace the bearings myself. Now i need a few details on this. I have
managed to remove the two bearings, and am wondering if the rubber
"thing" located at the end of the hole in the tub needs to be removed
as well, or better yet, are there any more parts that need to be
removed besides the bearings? About the bearing seals, could you
describe what and where these are located, and where I could buy them
just in case I might need them? Also, of the two part numbers you gave,
which one is the front bearing? I have no mechanical background, and a
step-by-step procedure on replacing the bearings would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Georges Applianc

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
Replacing the bearing is no that bad of a job but the non-availablity of a new seal is the problem.

Offline Georges Applianc

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
Replacing the bearings is not that bad but the problem is Whirlpool will not let you purchase a new seal.

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
Hey guys, just recieved a PM from someone that found this thread and recently did his own repairs to his Duet. So, I logged on after being absent for a while and found that I was PM'ed over a year ago by another individual seeking assistance with this very repair. He only posted once, and dissappeared. I apologize dude!!! I missed your PM, hopefully it worked out for you!!!

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 07:29:56 PM »
BTW, George, Whirlpool may not sell the seal, but a bearing store should be able to sell you a suitable replacement, it just wont have the outer rubber flange.

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
Hey, I just got an email from another owner of a faulty Duet willing to repair it himself. So, I thought I'd just top this post up.

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 03:03:40 AM »
Sledneck, you must be an auto mechanic, to delve into this on your own.  I used to do automotive, and these types of repairs are a daily occurrence.  As a matter of fact, I just ground a wheel bearing off one of my Explorer's spindles, and replaced it last month.

So, did the repair using the old seal work out for you?  I don't touch this job because usually the seal is the cause of the bad bearings, and last I looked, Whirlpool won't sell anyone the seal, with out the outer tub.  Also, the shaft gets messed up and grooved, so most times you also need to replace the shaft too ensure there aren't any future problems.  This gets the price WAY up there.

The seal should never leak water into the bearings in the first place.  A bad seal is what usually takes the bearings out.  I would never do this job, as a professional service, without access to a new seal.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:08:18 AM by ApplianceGuru »
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Maytag Frontloader bearing replacement

Started by mattD110td5x

Replies: 2
Views: 4588
Last post October 11, 2007, 04:41:26 PM
by mattD110td5x
Maytag dependable care stem seal/bearing replacement

Started by michael o

Replies: 3
Views: 4368
Last post December 28, 2007, 12:08:21 AM
by AJ
Frigidiare Kenmore Front Load Washer Inner Tub & Tub Bearing Replacement.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 7380
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:56:05 AM
by BrntToast
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Bearing Replacement (loud noise during spin)

Started by TonyWilliams

Replies: 6
Views: 12050
Last post December 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Duet second tub replacement

Started by volkskid

Replies: 9
Views: 4217
Last post November 29, 2011, 06:26:24 PM
by RAH52
Whirlpool Cabrio Bearing Replacement Kit W10435302 Instructions and Video