Author Topic: Duet Tub Bearing Replacement  (Read 13354 times)

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
Duet Tub Bearing Replacement
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:22:22 AM »
Ok, about 2 weeks ago, my Duet washer started getting louder and louder during the spin cycle. When I manually turned the basket I could feel that the bearings were shot. A quick search of the internet confirmed that this problem was no fluke. I found an illustrated parts breakdown of my washer online, and saw that Whirlpool only offers a replacement rear tub assembly, at a cost of $408. Needless to say, I was pissed off. I paid about $960 two years ago for this machine, and now it will require $6-700 in repairs. Unacceptable. So, having a mechanical background, I started to tear into the machine myself. I tore it all the way down to the rear tub half. I found what appeared to be the problem with my machine, hair. Hair worked its way to the bearing area, slowed unseated the seal, and then acted as a conduit for water to enter the bearing cavity. The seal itself actually looked fine. Yet the steel hub that the bearings are pressed into was badly corroded, as were the bearings, and even the driveshaft had corrosion on it. I pounded out the cheap factory bearings, cleaned up the bearing cavity and driveshaft, and replaced them with some higher quality Toyo's from my local bearings and drive store, P/N's 6206ZZC3 & 6205ZZC3. Unfortunately they didnt have a suitable replacement seal in stock. I didnt damage the factory one too badly upon removal, so I straightened it up with a couple of hammer taps, made sure it sealed nicely against the driveshaft, and reused it. The new bearings cost me $20. I made sure I sent a nastygram to Whirlpool, they offered me a replacement rear tub for 50% off, I told them to stick it. Hopefully I get at least 3 more years out of it, I've already started looking for my next machine, I'm likely going to buy a SpeedQueen. Anyways, if your tub bearings are shot and you have the will, they can be replaced yourself for a fraction of the cost of a factory rear tub half. My advice, take notes during disassembly, keep all the hardware from the different components you remove separated from one another. Dont be afraid to use permanent marker to write reminders directly on the components as theyll be hidden inside the reassembled washer when done. I did the repairs by myself, having a helper wouldve made things much easier. As for tools, I was shocked at how few I actually needed. A nut driver or torx apex, a 1/2" socket and rachet, some slip joint pliers, a wrench to remove the drive pulley, and a hammer and punch to remove/install the bearings. If anyone is going to attempt this repair and needs any assistance, feel free to email and I'll try to help, good luck!!

Model WFW9200SQ02

Whirlpool Washing Machine Model WFW9200SQ02 Parts from RepairClinic.com

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Duet Tub Bearing Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:26:31 AM »
Hi sledneck27,

That's awesome that you were able to replace just the bearings yourself, great job!

Thanks for taking the time to post the information and part numbers here.

If anyone is going to attempt this repair and needs any assistance, feel free to email and I'll try to help, good luck!!

That's nice of you to offer to help after all that is what our forum is all about.

May I suggest that if people need your help with this repair that they post there questions here instead of sending you a email.

Posting questions and answers here in our forum will be much more helpful in the long run to everyone.

Once again, great job and thanks for posting.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:04:07 AM »
This is also a fine example of folks willing to delve deeper into a project, knowing that they might be able to circumvent the "system". I congratulate you on your perseverance!

(The part numbers were a benefit as well!)

Take heed, people...you do not have to be slaves to the corporate plan.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
Excellent post---even more so due to the fact that you are not an appliance technician. I'm not entirely sure that I could've accomplished this on a first attempt without formal training.

The rear tub (which includes the bearings) is provided as an entire assembly for several reasons...

To expedite repairs in "the field" by servicers--it's also easier and less messy. Time is money.

Reduces human error--especially with new bearing and seal installs.

Problably simplifies inventory for the manufacturer as well.

Speed Queen washers are superb appliances--we sell them.
However--if your laundry room has a wood floor--I do NOT recommend front load Speed Queen washers. During the spin cycle, shaking/vibration/noise will occur.
Speed Queen top load washers are suited for wood floor laundry room use.
Another thing to consider--all Speed Queen washers are 3.3 cu ft capacity. For the front loaders--this is somewhat on the small side in today's market. The Duet is larger and you may be disappointed getting a new washer that has less capacity.

Again--great post.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »
Get a Roper top loader.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:19:45 AM »
Hi sledneck27,

That's awesome that you were able to replace just the bearings yourself, great job!

Thanks for taking the time to post the information and part numbers here.

If anyone is going to attempt this repair and needs any assistance, feel free to email and I'll try to help, good luck!!

That's nice of you to offer to help after all that is what our forum is all about.

May I suggest that if people need your help with this repair that they post there questions here instead of sending you a email.

Posting questions and answers here in our forum will be much more helpful in the long run to everyone.

Once again, great job and thanks for posting.  O0

Thank you, I think I now have my profile set to email me when a reply to this thread is posted.

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »
This is also a fine example of folks willing to delve deeper into a project, knowing that they might be able to circumvent the "system". I congratulate you on your perseverance!

(The part numbers were a benefit as well!)

Take heed, people...you do not have to be slaves to the corporate plan.

Yeah, I understand that things break, and even the best companies occasionally put out lemons, but the cost and weak warranty I found unacceptable in this instance.

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:34 AM »
Excellent post---even more so due to the fact that you are not an appliance technician. I'm not entirely sure that I could've accomplished this on a first attempt without formal training.

The rear tub (which includes the bearings) is provided as an entire assembly for several reasons...

To expedite repairs in "the field" by servicers--it's also easier and less messy. Time is money.

Reduces human error--especially with new bearing and seal installs.

Problably simplifies inventory for the manufacturer as well.

Speed Queen washers are superb appliances--we sell them.
However--if your laundry room has a wood floor--I do NOT recommend front load Speed Queen washers. During the spin cycle, shaking/vibration/noise will occur.
Speed Queen top load washers are suited for wood floor laundry room use.
Another thing to consider--all Speed Queen washers are 3.3 cu ft capacity. For the front loaders--this is somewhat on the small side in today's market. The Duet is larger and you may be disappointed getting a new washer that has less capacity.

Again--great post.

Thank you, I understand why Whirlpool made the replacement part in this manner, what I dont understand is the related costs. Its really just nuts to even have the possibility of having to sink such a high percentage of the machines original cost right back into it such a short time after the purchase. What if this were an automobile? Say you purchased a $40,000 car, and after 2 years it required $20-25,000 in repairs that were not covered under warranty. Again, unacceptable. Anyways, thanks for your insights on the wood flooring. I live in a split level home, with my laundry on the lower level on a concrete slab. The wife and I have already talked about the smaller size of SpeedQueen drum, and we dont care. We never even come close to overloading our duet, and we will gladly pay more for fewer features, but higher quality internal components. We we considering Miele, Asko, and SpeedQueen. The SpeedQueen is our favorite due to them being built in America. How do you feel these brands rate against each other? And are there anymore brands we should be looking at? Earlier today I found another brand that I've never heard of, Staber Industries. Have you ever heard of them? Its another American made brand with a really interesting feature. It has a drum that spins like a front loader, but it loads from the top. Its a really different and interesting design. Anyways, thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Offline sledneck27

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 12:41:43 AM »
Get a Roper top loader.

Ummmmm, no. Roper = Whirlpool. I dont care how good they are, theyre not getting anymore of my money.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:19:52 AM »
 The Staber washer was featured on an episode of "How It's Made". I have never seen one either. I thought it was a bad choice for their segment about how a washing machine is made. They must be popular somewhere.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:35:29 AM »
I've seen 'em and worked on 'em (Staber). The outer basket is made of  stainless steel and is honed like a cheese grater. You will indeed scrape the hide off your hand or arm should you rub against it the wrong way during service. They remind me of the  Fisher-Paykel machines in a way. They have a top-loading dryer which  is built similarly.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 09:06:46 AM »
You are going to have trouble with all these washers but at least a roper direct drive is a tried and true washer that will give years of service. Parts are cheaper and repairs are simple. No electronics or 3 phase power inverters with weak spineless inefficient motors and expensive  controls that take a rocket scientist to maintain. The Staber is probably just another Edsel. Have no clue. Judging on how it is put together it looks like you might can wash one sheet at a time in it:
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
How it's made:

never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »
My personal choices would be:

FRONT LOAD WASHERS:

LG (no surprise there)

Samsung

Speed Queen (on concrete floor & if smaller tub size is NOT an issue)

TOP LOAD WASHER

Speed Queen

Whirlpool (sold under several brand names)

As JW mentioned--Whirlpool top loaders (excluding the Cabrio agitator model) are a very simple design.

We sold Stabers in 2003---and were very disappointed with them.
After selling about half dozen--problems were near-immediate and we bought them back.
Admittedly--this is dated information. It's entirely possible that corrections were made since then. Still, I'm not a fan of this washer.
Tub size is too small for most consumers.

I have no experience with Miele or Asko laundry.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »
I cannot get an info on Miele or Asko. I have an Asko dryer manual. That is about it
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Frontloader bearing replacement

Started by mattD110td5x

Replies: 2
Views: 4508
Last post October 11, 2007, 04:41:26 PM
by mattD110td5x
Maytag dependable care stem seal/bearing replacement

Started by michael o

Replies: 3
Views: 4266
Last post December 28, 2007, 12:08:21 AM
by AJ
Frigidiare Kenmore Front Load Washer Inner Tub & Tub Bearing Replacement.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 7256
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:56:05 AM
by BrntToast
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Bearing Replacement (loud noise during spin)

Started by TonyWilliams

Replies: 6
Views: 11800
Last post December 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Duet second tub replacement

Started by volkskid

Replies: 9
Views: 4094
Last post November 29, 2011, 06:26:24 PM
by RAH52
Whirlpool Cabrio Bearing Replacement Kit W10435302 Instructions and Video