Author Topic: LG dishwasher not getting dishes clean  (Read 5297 times)

Offline c-ries

• VIP Member
LG dishwasher not getting dishes clean
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »
I wish I had the LE error code. Anyway, I pulled this LG LDS5811ST dishwasher out of a friends house. She was tired of the LG issues (no repair person) or not returning calls. It is only 3 years old and thought I could clean the drains and jets and get it working. Problem is nothing seems to be clogged. I pulled the sump apart and checked the nozzle assemblies and everything seems to be clean. The problem she was having is that the dishes never got clean. Is this an easy fix or should I just gut the thing and convert it to a meat smoking cabinet?

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG dishwasher not getting dishes clean
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »
I wish I had the LE error code. Anyway, I pulled this dishwasher out of a friends house. She was tired of the LG issues (no repair person) or not returning calls. It is only 3 years old and thought I could clean the drains and jets and get it working. Problem is nothing seems to be clogged. I pulled the sump apart and checked the nozzle assemblies and everything seems to be clean. The problem she was having is that the dishes never got clean. Is this an easy fix or should I just gut the thing and convert it to a meat smoking cabinet?

You'll need a new SUMP ASSEMBLY part number: AJH31248604

The older sump assembly wash motor can run at a lower rpm than it should--but sometimes not slow enough to trigger an "LE" error.
In most cases--there'll be a chirping or grinding noise when the d/w is in the wash mode. This can be an intermittent noise or constant.

Pump and Motor Assembly Part # AJH31248604

Offline c-ries

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:32 AM »
Thanks for the assist, I will order that soon.

Offline LG5811

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »
John, does that sump assembly include the vario motor as well?  I think I've got a motor issue with mine so I'm probably gonna be replacing one or both parts.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
John, does that sump assembly include the vario motor as well?  I think I've got a motor issue with mine so I'm probably gonna be replacing one or both parts.

Yes.
The SUMP ASSEMBLY includes:

Wash motor
Drain motor
Vario motor
Heating element
Thermistor
Turbidity sensor

Offline LG5811

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

Yes.
The SUMP ASSEMBLY includes:

Wash motor
Drain motor
Vario motor
Heating element
Thermistor
Turbidity sensor
Perfect.  Thanks!

Offline LG5811

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
Alright, I just installed the new sump assembly and everything was working great until one of the pumping stages kicked in and it started puking water all over the floor. I tipped it back over and checked underneath and couldn't find anything disconnected or loose.  The only thing that was wet was a little bit on the black hose that goes into the side of the sump (not the one near the corrugated drain hose).  I noticed one of the tiny wires was stuck in the hose between the flange and the hose, so I removed that and reassembled it.  Tried it again and got the same problem.  This time it happened right away in "normal" mode.  I tipped it back over and checked everything again and ran it in "quick cycle"  it was bone dry until about 10min in when it went to a pumping stage and it started dumping water out again like crazy.  Again, I tipped it back over and only saw a droplet of water on that same black hose.  Am I missing something?  I was going to go get some new hose clamps to replace the compression clamps on there and give it another try.  I really want to avoid flooding my hardwood floor for a third time though.  None of the sump assembly or anything else underneath is wet.

Offline LG5811

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 02:35:01 PM »
I got it figured out, it was the drain hose that was split up behind the side panel at the top of the looped return.  No wonder I couldn't tell where it was coming from.  ::)  I went to the hardware store and got a barbed fitting to connect the hose back together and put some shrink wrap over the top of all of it.  Running another test cycle now and so far, so good.  Only a could random drips off of the wet insulation and out of the bottom corners of the door.  Probably water from tipping it on its side so many time when it wasn't fully drained.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »
Good job---definitely a pain in the rear-end when there's more than one problem...

Offline LG5811

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
Thanks again to all of you who responded.  You saved me several hundred bucks not having to replace a 3yr old dishwasher.  O0

Kenmore elite dishwasher not getting dishes clean on smart clean setting

Started by confusion

Replies: 1
Views: 2519
Last post April 23, 2009, 03:39:28 AM
by sparky823
LG dishwasher not getting dishes clean

Started by phil6967

Replies: 2
Views: 5652
Last post May 11, 2010, 06:34:57 AM
by phil6967
frigidaire dishwasher won't clean dishes

Started by rasputins fingerbone

Replies: 10
Views: 11100
Last post October 29, 2010, 07:41:40 AM
by Repair-man
LG dishwasher doesnt clean dishes

Started by gr8filed

Replies: 5
Views: 1649
Last post February 07, 2013, 09:28:27 PM
by gr8filed
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 7075
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1500XTLB2 clean led blinks 7 times

Started by wyandotford

Replies: 3
Views: 5221
Last post December 03, 2007, 07:48:16 AM
by wyandotford