Author Topic: LG Tromm Steamwasher no steam?  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Steamer

• VIP Member
LG Tromm Steamwasher no steam?
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM »
Just bought a used LG WM2688HNM Steam Washer. While running Steam Fresh cycle, water could be seen spraying into drum. I interrupted the cycle and drum was cool to the touch. There are no error codes.

I am thinking I have a bad heater in the steam generator.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG Tromm Steamwasher no steam?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Just bought a used LG WM2688 Steam Washer. While running Steam Fresh cycle, water could be seen spraying into drum. I interrupted the cycle and drum was cool to the touch. There are no error codes.

I am thinking I have a bad heater in the steam generator.

Any ideas?

Thanks

If the *test* was interrupted too soon--the Turbo Steam Generator did not have enough time to boil water.

Has the STEAM FRESH or STEAM WASH cycles been used yet?
If not--try using either cycle for at least 30 minutes.
Post back if no steam function is evident.

Offline Steamer

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »
OK. I am running the entire Steam Fresh cycle.

Thanks

Offline Steamer

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
I ran the complete Steam Fresh cycle. I opened the machine immediately after the cycle finished. Same results. Drum was cool to the touch with tiny droplets of cold water all over.

Any suggestions?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
I ran the complete Steam Fresh cycle. I opened the machine immediately after the cycle finished. Same results. Drum was cool to the touch with tiny droplets of cold water all over.

Any suggestions?

Unplug the washer.

At the top/rear of the washer there two plastic anchors (looks like hinges).

Each has two phillips screws--remove only the lower screw from each side.

Grasp the top cover of the washer at the rear corners and slide the top cover rearward about two inches. Lift the top cover upward & remove.

Standing in front of the washer and looking at the top of the washer--the Turbo Steam Generator (TSG) is located on the left side behind the detergent dispenser box.

Remove the two wires at the heating element connectors and test the element for *continuity* with a VOLT/OHM METER.

If the element shows NO CONTINUITY--it has failed. The TSG element is not available as a separate part (last I checked). Order a new TSG part number: 3111ER1001D  (Retails for approx $96.00 US)

If the element shows continuity (good), place the VOLT/OHM METER test leads into the TSG element wires.

Plug the washer again.

Press & hold the SPIN SPEED and SOIL LEVEL buttons on the control panel---then press the POWER button.

Wait until the door locks (single click sound).

Press the START button 13 times at one second intervals.

At the 13th press of the START button---power will be supplied to the TSG heating element for 1.2 seconds.

Your meter should indicate 110 volts for 1.2 seconds.

If not--the MAIN BOARD has failed. Post the full model number for a correct part number.

Offline Steamer

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:50:17 AM »
Good continuity on the heater.

Leads show momentary voltage spike up to 120 during test. However, I don't think the heater is getting power during the actual Steam Fresh cycle. I ran the cycle with the top off. The TSG never got hot. It was warm but not hot.

I ran a voltage check on the leads during the Steam Fresh cycle, and did not see anything. Is this a legit way to test?

I now suspect a bad Main Board.

Model is WM2688HNM.

Thanks

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
Good continuity on the heater.

Leads show momentary voltage spike up to 120 during test. However, I don't think the heater is getting power during the actual Steam Fresh cycle. I ran the cycle with the top off. The TSG never got hot. It was warm but not hot.

I ran a voltage check on the leads during the Steam Fresh cycle, and did not see anything. Is this a legit way to test?

I now suspect a bad Main Board.

Model is WM2688HNM.

Thanks

The STEAM FRESH cycle does not generate as much heat as the STEAM WASH cycle.

STEAM FRESH is used to "freshen up" one or a few garments.
The DISPLAY PANEL will request from the user to provide input (data) about the number of items added to the washer for the STEAM FRESH cycle.

Try a STEAM WASH cycle before attempting further diagnosis.
If the tub and door glass are hot at the end of the cycle--the washer very likely has no defect.

NOTE: During the STEAM FRESH/WASH cycles--the amount of steam in the tub will NOT be a large white cloud. Many owners have indicated that they were unsure if the steam option was functional because no visible steam was seen in the drum during the cycle.

Offline Steamer

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »
John,

Thank you very much for your help.

I was very hesitant to decide that there was a problem with my machine because, like you said, I knew not to expect a large cloud of steam or anything dramatic like that during the Steam Fresh cycle. I really wanted nothing to be wrong with my washer, and initially tried to convince myself of this. However, with the machine cool to the touch immediately after completion of a steam only cycle (several attempts), I knew something was wrong.

Based on your assessment that a good continuity check on the TSG meant a good heater, I decided that the Main Board was most likely the problem even though it showed good voltage during the test. I felt that lack of voltage during the actual cycle and lack of heat at the TSG were evidence enough of a problem.

Based on this I replaced the Main Board, and what a huge difference. I ran the Steam Fresh cycle with the top cover off. Almost immediately I could feel a significant difference in the amount of heat coming from the TSG. Within a few minutes I could actually hear the water boiling inside. At the end of the cycle the window was fogged over from the steam, and even though the drum was still a little wet, I could feel the heat escaping when I opened the door.

I guess the lesson here is that even though it shows good voltage during the test, it doesn't mean that it absolutely will function correctly during normal operation.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise. You most definitely helped me solve my problem.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »
Your welcome---I'm glad that you've resolved it.

Have a great weekend.

Help Tromm washing machine wont spin

Started by angeleyes

Replies: 15
Views: 18404
Last post February 13, 2008, 08:19:59 PM
by JWWebster
LG TROMM spin fail

Started by Jos

Replies: 2
Views: 3887
Last post February 20, 2008, 10:39:37 PM