Author Topic: GE Washer problem  (Read 2314 times)

Offline davidg32

• VIP Member
GE Washer problem
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:42:48 AM »
Our washer is working OK, but whenever it spins it sounds a little different than it used to.  I don't know exactly how to describe it, except it sounds a little "gravelly"...like there's a little grinding there somewhere.  
I know that's not much to go on, but can anyone suggest a starting point to check out?  Any suggestions greatlly appreciated.

Model S3200Y1WW

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE Washer problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »
That might be one of the suspension rods are worn to the point that the clutch is touching the floor. If it was me I would remove the front panel and observe the washer during a cycle to determine where the noise is coming from. The top is bolted down. To get the front off insert a putty knife on either edge of the lid (between the top and front)and push downward to release the clips and get that front panel off. Use the handy AJ  guide to assist you. (Click picture to enlarge)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:44:20 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline davidg32

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
...If it was me I would remove the front panel and observe the washer during a cycle to determine where the noise is coming from.

Mr. Webster,
I removed the front panel and the top, as per the instructions in the manual, and ran a cycle through.
Everything seems to be working well, but the only problem is that...whenever the drum goes into a spin cycle...it wobbles way more than it used to (and therefore makes a lot more noise.)  I even put it in a spin cycle with no clothes or water in it (to make sure there was not an uneven load), and it still wobbles rather severely.  I looked and reached around underneath and into the mechanisms, but couldn't see or feel anything loose.  Could there be a bearing or something in the transmission that's worn out?
Any suggestions, advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. 
Also...would it be more cost-effective to just replace the washer rather than have a repairman come work on it?  We're considering our options.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Those damper straps might be stretched (click on pic to enlarge)
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline davidg32

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »
Those damper straps might be stretched

Well, they do have a lot of play...they have a slight curve in them, and form soft of a shallow "C" shape.  Are they supposed to be straight and tight?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
Yep real tight.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

maytag washer- timer problem?

Started by inot66

Replies: 6
Views: 4869
Last post January 10, 2008, 08:47:16 PM
by inot66
Maytag Washer Spin & Drain Problem

Started by lulubovary

Replies: 1