Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer-changed coupler- now have soot & burned rubber smell  (Read 2469 times)

Offline awalters

• VIP Member
My 11 yr old washer made an awful whinning noise & stopped agitating during wash cycle. I finally got the water to drain out & I changed a bad coupler per the great info I got on this sight.  Thought I had it in the bag. I ran a test load with just water to rinse out the machine & then a load of clothes. I should have stayed with the machine (I could hear it running fine), but suddenly I smelled an awful burned rubber smell when it was on the spin cycle. I took the motor off again and there is a lot of black soot-like stuff on the floor and around the case the coupler is in.  Forgive my lack of knowledge- I'm a military wife with a husband away and would like to fix this myself. Am I out of my element here?  If it is the clutch or tranny - how easy a fix is that and is it a job for a novice?  Also, is it worth it to do it myself or do I need to "call the man" as my husband would say?

Model Number: LSR7233EQ0 icon

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Whirlpool Washer-changed coupler- now have soot & burned rubber smell
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »
From your description, it sounds like something has definitely locked up. What I generally do is to pull the pump and motor off, then try turning the transmisison lug manually. Things that can cause the coupling to burn could include something stuck between the inner and outer tubs. This you can check by removing the outer cabinet and the tub cover.

It is not uncommon for the gearcase to lock up, so if you cannot turn the drive lug, a new transmission is in order. I would also replace the clutch/brake assembly at the same time to restore the washer to like-new condition mechanically. Replacing the entire assembly is fairly straightforward, and the videos can be found somewhere on this website to guide you along.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:59:31 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Top Load Whirlpool Washer Leaking/Burn Smell After Changing Coupler

Started by kabbott

Replies: 5
Views: 3483
Last post January 02, 2009, 02:27:41 PM
by kabbott
Whirlpool Washer Leaves Soap, Rubber burning smell

Started by Art234

Replies: 3
Views: 2513
Last post April 06, 2009, 08:29:41 PM
by JWWebster
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 39447
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 3988
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster
ApplianceJunk.com first pdf repair guide - Whirlpool Washer Motor Coupler

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 2301
Last post April 28, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer will agitate but won't spin, not the coupler