Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer noise  (Read 3114 times)

Offline brad

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Washer noise
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
Have a Whirlpool washer that is making a loud grinding noise at the end of the spin cycle.Sometimes it sounds like it is slamming to a stop.I have removed the case and got down to listen to it and it doesn't sound like it is coming from the bake ,but from above the brake.I have also removed the agitator and ran it, and it still makes the noise.What could this be?Where do I go from here? The model no is WTW5200SQ0.

Offline brad

• VIP Member
Re: Washer noise
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:24 PM »
After re-checking I thing now that it is in the brake.Do any of you guys have any info or experiance on this kind of problem,or can offer any tips?

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
Brad, I have seen several washers lately where the tub drive block has become worn and the centrifical force tries to keep the tub spinning but it has a sloppy stop and the tub block tries to jump over the ears on drive tube.  Remove the agitator and the white nylon
piece from the agitator shaft, do you see any aluminum shaving or dust? Next put the washer in spin with a screwdriver depress the lid switch and let the machine spin for a few seconds watch the tub block (area between the big nut) and see if you notice any slop in the block and drive when you release the lid switch and the basket comes to a stop, if so you may be able to replace just the tub block if the leading edge of drive tabs are not damaged. 

Offline brad

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:44:27 AM »
Thanks so much for the info I'll going to do as you suggest.Thanks again

Offline brad

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »
Ok I  checked as per what you said.And you were right on it,that is where the noise is coming from.I removed the big nut from the top and there is no tabs on the drive shaft,when it stops the shaft makes a grinding noise as it comes to a stop.How hard is it to change out this thing?

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »
If the 2 tabs on the tub drive are gone, you will have to replace the tub drive sleeve & brake assembly + tub block.   1st remove the cabinet and tub, tip the washer back, remove the pump & motor, remove the 3 bolt that hold the transmission in place and the trany out, next turn the plastic clutch paw to releave pressure on the brake & pull down & out, Replace the whole Brake assy & Tube it also comes with a new clutch. Don't forget to replace the block. It is pretty simple. If you need some video help summons my main Man on this JW Webster he is a great help and has a wonderful video collection.

Offline brad

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:06:24 AM »
Thank you so much for this great info.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline brad

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »
Thanks JW for the info,I've replaced the drive block and nut and now all is good,machine working like a new one.Thanks to uou guys and this site.

Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 14132
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer Noise During Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2632
Last post April 22, 2008, 11:06:58 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Washer Noise After Spin