Author Topic: Whirlpool Dishwaher - Started spilling water out from bottom/front/left side???  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Doustdar

• VIP Member
First time poster, so I REALLY appreciate any advice/help.  My dishwasher just started spilling out water from the bottom/left/front side.  It happens as soon as I start to run it.  I took off the bottom panel to see, and it's as if it's coming from the front/left side of the unit, which sits against the wood divider to my sink.

I live in Los Angeles, and wanted advice on the following:

1.  Does this seem like an easy fix?  If so, does anyone have anyone in LA area (Mid Wilshre) they recco?

2.  If it's going to cost me over $200, should I just buy a new one?

I have attached (2) pics, one of the front of the Unit, and the other of the inside bottom.  It is spilling water from above where I have the metal pan.

Thanks so much.

Ray

Offline magician59

• Technician
Check to see if the door gasket can be cleaned. If it has gone too long, replace it.

Offline Doustdar

• VIP Member
Ok.  But it's not leaking from the door frame itself, and anywhere around.  It's seems to be leaking from the hose that feeds the front/left side of the Unit, that is between the left side wall and under my sink.  I reached my hand up there, and the insulation pad was soaked.

Here is another pic.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Could be a cracked water inlet valve. You should start it filling and observe the area around the valve
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
As suggested,turn on the dishwasher and observe the water leak. It may be the fill hose from the water valve to the side entry on the dishwasher. If it is not that hose it may be the incoming copper water line. If so,
Go to a Home Depot/Lowes type home improvement type store and buy a dishwasher stainless steel flex hose for dishwasher hook up and replace the copper water supply pipe to the dishwasher.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:56:27 PM by jumptrout51 »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Doustdar

• VIP Member
I have to THANK everyone for your help, and especially "jumptrout51"!  I was the fill hose from the water valve to the side entry on the dishwasher.  Somehow, it has fallen off it's plastic intake valve, I am thinking this happened due to the earthquake we had 2 nights ago here in LA.  I put it back on, put a clasp around it, and it is working like a charm! 

Funny story for your guys though, as I think I owe you this.  So we had workman at our building doing plumbing work, and it was that guy that I initially showed this to, and he immediately said the dishwasher was shot, and I just needed to buy a new.  He would install for me today for $50.  Anyway, I was on my way out the door, when I read this last post, and so it sounded like it made sense, as when I had looked underneath after opening up the bottom panel, the tub part was fine, and that's what he said was shot.

Well, here is the funny part.  So I needed to take the DW out some more, and I saw that copper water pipe, and realized that was not letting me to pull it all the way out to see that black tube.  So, I unscrewed it, saw the tube, fixed that, but during that process, they turned the building water back on, and so now all of the sudden, HIGH PRESSURE hot water is pouring out into my sink.  Anyway, by the time I remembered there must be a water valve under my sink, a good inch of water covered my entire kitchen!

All good now, and MANY THANKS GUYS!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
You got er done though and just think...your floor is probably cleaner than it has been in years.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Doustdar

• VIP Member
That's a great point, as yes, the floors sparkle now.  I really appreciate this site and the advice, as it saved me $700, and better yet, made me feel good about myself and being able to figure things out!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
One friday night I was sitting at the computer when I heard a noise. I looked over at the stove and the cat had jumped up on the heavy cast iron frying pan. About the time he noticed it was still a bit warm from frying some fish he kicked the pan off the stove and onto the hot water heater. The shut off valve on the side of the heater was chopped off and suddenly gallons and gallons of hot water was gushing into the kitchen area. The cat lived, the water heater died.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Doustdar

• VIP Member
1 word:  YIKES

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
 How did the cat stay alive? He must of outran the bullet. ;)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
I couldn't get mad at my kitty, he keeps the rats, snakes ,and crawlers out da house.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Water at bottom of Whirlpool ADP-8540

Started by chris707

Replies: 3
Views: 597
Last post November 15, 2013, 07:10:27 PM
by chris707
Whirlpool Dishwasher - Does not pump the water out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7926
Last post January 17, 2008, 10:34:53 PM
by AJ
whirlpool dishwasher wont spray water

Started by lsparkie

Replies: 17
Views: 10368
Last post April 28, 2014, 05:42:11 AM
by Laniktom
8193513A Whirlpool Dishwasher Water Pump & Motor Assembly