Author Topic: Maytag Washer with balance issues  (Read 7455 times)

Offline Jaytag

• VIP Member
Maytag Washer with balance issues
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »
Maytag washer, is very off balance during spin.  Legs are leveled, when I raise the lid and hold in the switch, I can see the tub is off balance.  Any ideas on how to fix the issue?

Model LAV3600NAW

Offline magician59

• Technician
Re: Maytag Washer with balance issues
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Pull the front panel off and see if there is a broken or disconnected spring.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »
Legs may be level, but always place a level on the cabinet top front to back to see if the level is really "level". Also, check for the presence of water in the upper ring on the spinner basket... if the liquid  is gone, you will experience balance issues. Turn the machine to spin and let it come to speed before raising the lid to stop the motor. There should be a slight swirling noise emanating from the top ring in the tub at this point.

The presence of oil under the machine or  inside the cabinet where the tub assembly rests indicates transmission seal failures. This also can cause the tub to get off balance and stay that way.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Jaytag

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:12:36 PM »
How does the front come off on this one?  No screws in the front.

Thanks

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:33:46 PM »
bend down, grab the bottom left corner of the front panel and pull hard towards yourself. repeat on right side.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
Or just shove a putty knife down on the bottom on each side, the base on the newer models is held with spring clips. We don't need no stinking screws. LOL! I just worked on one the other day with the top all scratched up from somebody trying to pry the top up.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline Jaytag

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:55 AM »
Thank you ever so much.  Pulled off the front cover, was not easy.  Upon leveling up the legs it hasnt had any issues on first cycle go through.  Next cycle will be towels.

I did find now that there is an issue with cold water coming in it is very slow to fill.  Possible lime build up.

Offline Jaytag

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
Wow this washer has issues.  Ok so it went through was cycle fine, when it went to spin drain, the motor was struggling hard, it cut off mid drain.  I reset it, cut off again, set it to gentle and put it on again, motor started to smoke.  I shut it down.  Where do I go from here?

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:06:28 PM »
It could be something as simple as loose connections to the motor. But most likely the tub bearing has gone bad.  Try this.

1. Unplug the washer.
2. Pull the machine forward, and tilt it back against the wall (use a couple of 2 x 4's to help hold it up.
3. Remove the 2 belts.
4. Spin all the pulleys underneath the washer and check for resistance. If the motor is hard to turn, your motor is bad.  If the pump is hard to turn, the pump is bad.  If the transmission pulley turns clockwise, that is agitate, that should be fairly easy to turn.  Turn that same pulley counter clockwise. This movement will take pressure off the brake and allow the whole transmission to turn. If it's very very  hard to turn, your tub bearing is shot.

---> You can try to isolate the issue by removing the belts, and trying the machine. If the motor works, you know its OK. Then try just one belt on the machine, either the drive or pump belt. Try and see which component is giving you the trouble.

Does your machine have an oily spray on the inside of the cabinet around the height of th bottom of the tub?
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Maytag by Performa washer, Outta balance during spin cycles

Started by xman

Replies: 9
Views: 5581
Last post January 15, 2009, 09:15:04 AM
by xman
Maytag Washer A183 Out of Balance during Spin

Started by pwcunning

Replies: 1
Views: 1832
Last post April 18, 2009, 05:46:47 PM
by JWWebster