Author Topic: lg electric range: "start" button stopped working  (Read 9594 times)

Offline birch

• VIP Member
lg electric range: "start" button stopped working
« on: February 17, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »
Hey, my electric range, LG LRE30451ST is about 1 1/2 yrs old and we dont have an extended warranty (of course).  about a month ago, my wife used "self-clean" for the first time and after that, the broil button stopped working.  now, about a month later, the "start" button doesnt work.  all of the others seem fine, but w/o the start botton, the oven is worthless.  before i pay a person to check it out, i was hoping there was something i could do; replace a fuse or circuit breaker, clean contacts, etc...

thanks for any help
birch

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Re: lg electric range: "start" button stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
A few things I've learned from these forums;

1) don't use self-clean on any range

2) don't use self-clean on any range

temps reach 950F+ for a few hours, that can reak havoc on controls and connectors (re-seat all of the connectors)

no fuse or circuit breaker, maybe a bad relay on the Power Control Board, but they're not normally replaceable.

I have the schematic of the PCB, too.

here's a page from the service manual:
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
did you read your warranty in the manual?

have to ask cause i know up here in the great white north LG have 2 years warranty not the standard one year

now as long as you promiss not to say brnt told you, some LG ranges had a defect that caused the control panel to discolor after self-clean, if yours is discolored, call into LG customer service and say you have read there was a problem with the discoloring, see if they will offer a new control panel for free, cause usually your servicer will come out with the whole head for the range(new touchpad,clock etc)

this should fix whatever the other problem is  :P  and i know if i had to change that head i wouldn't be testing the oven before i changed the head and the oven vent

now in saying this.......  if you do get it changed under warranty and after the service person is done the oven still doesn't work
BE HONEST and tell the servicer it never worked before they started!!!!!   or they will be rechecking their work instead of looking elsewhere
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:14:43 AM »
This is an excellent topic. BT you are the man!
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
did you read your warranty in the manual?

have to ask cause i know up here in the great white north LG have 2 years warranty not the standard one year

now as long as you promiss not to say brnt told you, some LG ranges had a defect that caused the control panel to discolor after self-clean, if yours is discolored, call into LG customer service and say you have read there was a problem with the discoloring, see if they will offer a new control panel for free, cause usually your servicer will come out with the whole head for the range(new touchpad,clock etc)

this should fix whatever the other problem is  :P  and i know if i had to change that head i wouldn't be testing the oven before i changed the head and the oven vent

now in saying this.......  if you do get it changed under warranty and after the service person is done the oven still doesn't work
BE HONEST and tell the servicer it never worked before they started!!!!!   or they will be rechecking their work instead of looking elsewhere

This post is fraught with errors and assumptions.

The complaint is that the oven control is not responding to commands. In most cases this is due to loose wiring connections on the MAIN BOARD. On certain LG ranges (depending on serial number) the touchpad was at fault and a revised touchpad assembly was introduced.
The discoloration from the *oven vent* had nothing to do with the control panel function.
A new oven vent was designed to prevent the discloration of stainless and white control panels from heat & smoke exiting the oven vent at the left side of the control panel.

LG does not offer an entire controller assembly and has not done so for some time.
When the first LG ranges were sold--replacing the entire controller was done until individual components became available in the LG inventory system and is no longer available as an entire assembly.

Frigidaire electric range has stopped working

Started by nessann

Replies: 5
Views: 7327
Last post June 02, 2009, 09:03:36 PM
by BrntToast
GE gas range electric clock stopped working

Started by woody

Replies: 2
Views: 5513
Last post August 13, 2009, 12:31:36 PM
by JWWebster