Author Topic: 2 Problems -MAYTAG Neptune Drying Center or is it my washer?  (Read 3562 times)

Offline njmom

• VIP Member
Looking for advice on where to tackle a problem. First problem is oily spots on dark clothing - not sure if its from the washer or dryer - researching this site and others makes me think its a problem with my Maytag Neptune Model number MAH 6500 AWW washer - However, my drying center has started to have an light brownish stain that had a single oily drip appearing when opened midcycle at the top vent in the upper drying cabinet but the clothes with the stains are appearing are drying in the lower dryer. I don't see any evidence of oil in the lower dryer. Suddenly today I noticed a real burning smell - more electrical than rubber. This was def. in the lower dryer - so I've turned it off. Ideas on the problem -am I looking at two problems one with each machine or same problem? Both machines are 6 years old.Thanks for the advice
Lisa

Model MCG8000AWW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: 2 Problems -MAYTAG Neptune Drying Center or is it my washer?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »
Could be a problem with the washer instead, but  look inside the dryer drum, particularly around the baffles for a piece of gum or a melted crayon, either of which will cause an oily looking spot. If no foreign  substance is seen in the dryer drum, the washer may need to have the dispensers inspected.

You have not mentioned whether you are a fan of liquid fabric softener yet, but please elaborate on your wash preferences:
1:  Liquid soap or powder?  (H.E. soap?)
2. Lots of cold water washing?
3. How is the water pressure coming into the washer? (both hot and cold)
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline njmom

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Use HE liquid soap, no fabric softener - sometimes a dryer sheet. 65/35 cold water wash vs hot water - water pressure seems normal and equal depending on wash cycle selected. Did check for gum and crayons - thanks! (none found)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:00:23 AM »
I would flush the washer with a treatment of Affresh or one of the other approved cleaners for  frontloaders to see if there may be  residue from fabric softener, etc getting on the load. The MAH6500 was a machine that we built specifically for Home Depot, having the same features as the MAH5500 but with an internal water heater as well.

The dryer no doubt has some sort of a venting problem which has lead to the  burning odor, and the dryer should be serviced by an experienced technician familiar with the  Maytag drying cabinets.  A vent problem with the dryer can also cause staining due to accumulated lint, vapors, etc. (No foil duct. no kinks in the line anywhere, etc). At the very least, the dryer will likely have to be disassembled to inspect it properly and clean the interior of the cabinet.

If you are real handy with a screwdriver and can follow technical directions well, here's the manual for the  Dryer cabinet:
Maytag Drying Cabinet Service (7.6. MB)

Affresh Washing Machine Cleaner Part # TJ120
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:18:59 AM by Repair-man »
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline njmom

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice - I'm most concerned about the dryer as it smells like a fire - so I know it needs service -I don't think its the outside vent clogged as I had the ducts and vents cleaned about 9 months ago and the service person told me there was very little build-up in the dryer vent.  I am handy with a screw driver but this is beyond my comfort level when dealing with potential electical issues or ? with the whole oil dripping inside the dryer business.  However when I went to maytags website to schedule service -there is only one company who services maytag in this area and I was warned that parts for this particular dryer are running at least 6 months out so..... I guess I'm out the cost of having to buy a new dryer and I've  learned my lesson on a buying a luxury dryer.

For the washer -  I did find a large ring of black mold on the seal of the washer when pulling things apart - I've scrubbed that off with bleach and will run the affresh. Hopefully that will solve the spotting problem.  I'm just sick about these high cost Maytag Neptune machines having such issues. But I am appreciative of the response here.

LG washer/dryer combo WM3455HS not drying

Started by expatriot98

Replies: 6
Views: 3308
Last post November 27, 2012, 08:40:20 PM
by domain
Kennore Dryer problems

Started by smckeown

Replies: 6
Views: 8974
Last post July 10, 2007, 09:31:02 AM
by smckeown
Dryers, not just for drying cloths anymore...

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1647
Last post November 03, 2007, 09:58:32 AM
by AJ
LG DRYER PROBLEMS

Started by thomas68

Replies: 10
Views: 24704
Last post December 22, 2007, 05:28:58 AM
by accapp
Long drying times - dryer