Author Topic: Modular Ice Makers  (Read 1900 times)

Offline jy12345

• VIP Member
Modular Ice Makers
« on: March 01, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
I have a question regarding the standard 8 cube modular ice makers. When looking at all of the "models" and makers of these ice makers, prices and model numbers vary greatly. And yet to me they all appear to be the exact same unit, made by Whirlpool, or some manufacturer making them for Whirlpool. Are they all identical and just rebadged with different model numbers? Can I buy any one and use it or are there real differences between them? IF so, how many basic types are there out there? Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Modular Ice Makers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »
A modular design is in a bunch of different brands and they are all the same. The harness is different but you can use the old ice makers harness. You can find a modular ice maker anywhere and use your old harness and all will be well.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jy12345

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »
Thank you for the reply, I was hoping you would respond since you seem to know quite a bit about ice makers from what I have read. I guess you can cut off the old connector and splice on the new connector. What sort of splice connection works best in the freezer? Heat shrink butt connectors? What do you refer to those plastic connectors as and is there a tool for popping the ends of the wires out of the old plastic? Wouldn't it be easier to change the plastic ends than splicing? Thanks again.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
You do not have to do any splicing. All the harnesses are identical on the end that locks into the ice maker, It is the other end that is different on various brands. So what you do is release the harness from your old ice maker and plug it into the new one. Nothing to it, no wiring or splicing to do. The old harness has a locking tab you press in with a small screwdriver and it slides right out. The same manufacturer makes the head and they are all the same. In fact Maytag sells a replacement modular design that comes without the harness attached and they recommend you use your old ice maker harness.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:28:35 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 04:49:53 PM »
Maytag part D7824706Q
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline jy12345

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the part number. Seems like a bit of a scam with all these prices and parts number out there and they are all the same part. I guess it is a commodity item and you just buy the cheapest one you can find. And most folks haven't figured it out.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
Shoot I thought it was common knowledge.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Ice Makers: Low Ice Production

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1706
Last post May 02, 2008, 08:46:44 PM
by AJ
R-66 4316835 Whirlpool Modular Ice Maker & Crushed Ice Despenser Service Repair

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3098
Last post September 27, 2008, 01:26:53 PM