Author Topic: LG Breakdowns  (Read 9460 times)

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG Breakdowns
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
Hi Reg, long time no see...

Do you see many fridge failures in the field? (I am assuming you do their wty work )

I do.

I'll answer that question--for those visiting/reading this thread.

The accurate answer is no. At least not more so than many other brands. The vast majority of consumers are satisfied with their purchase. Three door & four door refrigerator models are intensely popular.

Having said that---let's cover the problems that LG *did* have.

During the early part of this decade--the LG refrigerators were experiencing temperature problems. Food was freezing in the food compartment and/or the freezer temperature was too cold.
This was attributed to foam insulation in the refrigerator cavity partially or completely "burying" the temperature THERMISTOR(S).
During the manufacturing process--hot/liquid material is injected into the refrigerator cavity which expands when it cures. This expansion of foam material was the cause of those erratic temperature issues and has since been corrected.

Later--consumers were reporting that the lightbulbs were not turning off when the refrigerator doors had been closed. This was caused by a failing lightswitch relay on the main board (sticking or stuck). The lightswitch itself does not shut-off the lightbulbs--but is a sensor that indicates whether the doors are opened or closed.
 The light switch also allows the main board to count the number of times that the doors are opened/closed. This monitoring of the doors has an impact on the frequency of the defrost cycle (saving energy). It also shuts-off the lightbulbs if the doors are left open too long.
The replacement main control board had the addition of a much larger relay for the lightswitch function.
In addition--a temperature limiting thermostat was added to the *Reflector* which is directly above the bulbs. This limiter acts as a self-resetting safety cut-out if the bulbs remain "on" too long.
A new LENS/DUAL BULB SOCKET ASSY and LIGHTBULB HOUSING is provided for replacement. All three-door refrigerators built up to the approx mid-2008 model year had the *potential* for this to occur.
Any model which has this fault will be a covered repair by LG even if the refrigerator is no longer under the original warranty. Simply contact LG and describe the lightbulb failure if this occurs and request an authorized servicer to initiate this repair. There is NO CHARGE for this repair.
The LG Customer Service Representative will need the following information in addition to name/address/phone:

1) Model Number

2) Serial Number

3) Date of Purchase

4) Selling Dealer (Retailer name)

Then the federal government paid a visit.
The Dept of Energy had conducted a test of energy consumption of the three & four door LG refrigerator models **with an icemaker in the door**.
These were found to be using energy in excess of the advertised EnergyStar rating.
True to gov't form---these energy ratings are (or were) done by the manufacturer and NOT the gov't---with the understanding that the true energy rating would be declared.
Well--Uncle Sam had issues with LG's energy ratings.
To make a long story short--LG voluntarily offered to correct this by revising the main board (new main board) to operate the refrigerator more efficiently. This replacement along with the addition of small foam strips to the refrigerator doors--is free of charge.
If you have a 3 door/4 door LG refrigerator--and are concerned about the possibility that your model is one of the affected units covered by this DOE/LG agreement--go to:

www.lgrefrigeratoroffer.com

All the relevant information is available to verify if your LG needs this correction. It costs nothing.

Ironically--shortly after this--Samsung was visited by "Big Brother" next.
The very same energy discrepancy was identified on the Samsung 3 door models and the DOE doubtless demanded a similar outcome as had been done with LG refrigerators.
Unlike LG--Samsung threatened to take the whole matter to the federal courts--as the wording of the energy test protocol specifically allows that the icemaker be TURNED OFF for arriving at an estimated annual kilowatt/hour average.
This would be akin to asking Ford/GM/Chrysler and all other auto manufacturers to "re-state" their Average Mile-Per-Gallon Numbers because none had their vehicles tested with the AIR CONDITIONERS "On".
In a nutshell--the DOE was arbitrarily changing the protocol for establishing the energy useage--and enforcing it RETROACTIVELY.
In this case--Samsung prevailed.

Icemakers--indeed LG has had it's share of fumbling with icemaker issues.
More than I'd like to see.
Over time--this too has dramatically improved.
It is noteworthy to indicate that icemaker issues are not unique to LG. Nearly all manufacturers have struggled to improvement their newer icemakers which are designed for energy-efficiency or compactness (or both).

These were some of the larger issues involving the LG refrigerators.
Like many other brands--LG had a host of smaller items that were more of an annoyance nature than anything else.
Plastic bin breakage/freezer door rails sticking/doors out of alignment after delivery/etc.
Much improvement has been made and will continue to be made.
LG has demonstrated that they will go beyond the average competitor to keep their customers as satisfied as possible. My experience with the this manufacturer has been a very positive one.
Unfortunately--there's a great deal of appliance servicers that are as yet unfamiliar with LG products.
New technology means having to *change*.
Any no-one likes *change*--at least not initially.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:59:17 AM »
Change isn't the problem all manufacturers are upgrading their technology. The problem I find is they sell appliances in areas without considering tech support and they are very difficult to get parts out of. ( I am currently waiting on a washer hose for a week now). Every time I work on an LG I run into this problem. If a customer asks me about which appliance I would recomend I always steer them away from LG. Nobody wants to wait weeks to get an appliance fixed.  John you sound like an LG rep spewing the company line to me.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »
Most parts are available at
SearsPartsDirect
RepairClinic
MCM Electronics
(search for part number)

..they are very difficult to get parts..( I am currently waiting on a washer hose for a week now)..

what hose part number are you looking for ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
I ordered it through the sears parts dealer( the only place around to get LG parts). Remember I'm in Canada and trying to get stuff across the border is an adventure in itself, not to mention the cost. I'm only 2 hrs. from Toronto where the Canadian division of LG is headquartered, but trying to deal directly with them is an ordeal in itself. The hose is for a Tromm 609kwta00145 it is the hose between the tub and pump. I SHOULD be able to get such a common part in no time but it is always the same with LG, wait , wait, wait. The customers love it!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:15 AM »
Change isn't the problem all manufacturers are upgrading their technology. The problem I find is they sell appliances in areas without considering tech support and they are very difficult to get parts out of. ( I am currently waiting on a washer hose for a week now). Every time I work on an LG I run into this problem. If a customer asks me about which appliance I would recomend I always steer them away from LG. Nobody wants to wait weeks to get an appliance fixed.  John you sound like an LG rep spewing the company line to me.

Parts are shipped to us within 2 days from LGs Huntsville,Alabama warehouse.
If you are not an authorized LG servicer--you may find it harder to obtain parts--from what I see on the internet--there are several alternate sources for needed replacement components (repairclinic.com). I can name a dozen other manufacturers that take longer-than-desired to aquire needed parts.

Tech Support has been decent overall. Not perfect--but good.

As for sounding like an LG representative--consider this:

GE sells an agitatorless top loading washer called 'Harmony".
This washer is not high on my list of favorites and is manufactured for GE by LG.
Recently--LG announced that they are introducing a version of this washer for sale in the US market and I'm NOT particularly thrilled with that. I can't possibly be an LG representative if I say that I personally think this washer design is not an ideal way to wash laundry effectively. Dare I say it for effect--it suxs.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »
..The hose is for a Tromm 609kwta00145 it is the hose between the tub and pump.
that doesn't look like an LG model number
what's the Hose part number ?

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 09:25:17 AM »
All manufacturers have their dogs but I can get parts for most of them in a day, especially common ones. If LG or any other manufacturer wants to survive in this market they must make it convienient for their customers to get the things repaired. This means having most parts readily available to be supplied through parts houses so techs everywhere can easily access them.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
... If LG or any other manufacturer wants to survive in this market they must make it convienient for their customers to get the things repaired. This means having most parts readily available to be supplied through parts houses so techs everywhere can easily access them.
access to parts AND service manuals, such as Bosch, Miele, Asko, Fisher Paykel, even GE manuals

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 09:41:05 AM »
Exactly it's all about the customer experience if it is a pain for them do you think they will buy another?

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
they find out most about that after they buy it.