Author Topic: Washer vibrating too much during spin cycle  (Read 14771 times)

Offline dirtrider180

• VIP Member
Washer vibrating too much during spin cycle
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »
My Maytag frontload MAH8700AWW is always vibrating like crazy during the spin cycle.  Even if I only do a 1/2 load.  If I put it on the maximum spin speed the tub shakes so much it sounds like it is hitting something.  Also I noticed the rust as seen in the pictures on the door hinges, around the door opening near the gasket, and down the bottom front.  Is this to do with the vibrating or something different??

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: Washer vibrating too much during spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:16:19 PM »
In *most* cases the corrosion/rust is from bleach splashing from the dispenser tray during the spin cycle.

Vibration & shaking causes this.

A little background on this washer...

This is a Samsung-built washer that replaced the problem-plagued 1996-2004 Maytag Neptune front load washers.

It is similar to the Samsung WF 306 model washers. These were the older model Samsung washers that did NOT have the superb VRT feature (double balance rings).

In many cases--even when this washer (8700 model) was used on a concrete floor--it would shake/vibrate/walk terribly.
No repair solution was offered at the time and I am still unaware of any method for a correction.

Fortunately--all non-VRT models are no longer sold. All current Samsung washers from 2008 forward do not have this problem.

Oddly enough--the 2004 Maytag Neptune front load washer finally had the door lock problem resolved which eliminated the infamous "R11" Main Board failures. This was the last achilles heel of the original Neptune FL washer. Sometimes the decisions made by manufacturers defies logic.

Today--the Maytag front load washer is called "Epic" and this washer is really a re-badged Whirlpool Duet front loader.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:25:59 PM by john63 »

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:28:49 AM »
Here's something that will help:

Service Update For MAH8700
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
Here's something that will help:

Service Update For MAH8700

This (bulletin) did NOT resolve the problem of shakes/vibration/walking & noise. Much time & effort was wasted by servicers attempting to correct problems for customers that owned the pre-VRT Samsung and Maytag-branded washers.

The introduction of an all-new system in subsequent Samsung model
washers---to eliminate this condition *did* succeed.
Vibration Reduction Technology (VRT)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 02:15:28 PM »
I hate to dispute you, but as a Maytag Factory service tech, there was indeed some improvement in the field, also from the changes Samsung made to the  control boards which came with a vibration sensor in the kit after 2005

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
Perfectly fine to disagree.

My customers would adamantly beg to differ as to whether or not the "corrections" offered by Maytag/Samsung were a success.

The addition of a *motion sensor* was utterly useless and has also been tried on the LG front load washers as well. Motion sensors simply provide data to the main board when a condition (excessive shaking) has been met. The tub will stop spinning and begin tumbling clockwise & counter-clockwise slowly to re-distribute the laundry load. Another run at high speed spin is attempted but fails again and again until the main board defaults and ends the cycle.
Other manufacturers simply programmed the spinning tub to reduce the spin-RPM if excessive shaking occurs.
None of this addresses the root cause--balance dynamics.
The addition of one or more tub balance rings allowed for physically *cancelling out* vibration rather than using software to detect the imbalance condition and then react to it.

As a Samsung warranty servicer:)--I can state quite confidently that the Samsung VRT system is the **best** system available today.

Offline dirtrider180

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 09:42:48 PM »
I opened up the top and watched it during the spin cycle and the tub is vibrating moving around like crazy.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
I opened up the top and watched it during the spin cycle and the tub is vibrating moving around like crazy.

Front load washer tubs normally gyrate a lot during the spin cycle.

Unfortunately your washer is wobbling excessively--and this causes the entire cabinet to shake/walk/rumble/bang around.

Many of these Samsung-built Maytag front load washers shook uncontrollably on concrete floors even with NO laundry in the tub.

The ONLY alternative that works best for your washer is to buy "ShakeAway Pads".
These are available at Lowes or Home Depot.
The four dense rubber blocks are placed under each leg of the washer---and while this does *not* stop the shaking--it will stop the walking of the washer and reduce the noise of the spin cycle.

I think it is important to keep in mind that although a Technical Service Bulletin was published acknowledging this problem and offering a course of action to remedy the problem--it fell short.
In many brands and types of appliances--Technical Service Bulletins are written almost every month.
About 10 percent of these bulletins fail to adequately resolve a problem with a product.
In some cases 4 or 5 bulletins will be issued for the same problem until a genuine solution has been found.
In the case of the Samsung-built front load washers--Maytag went bankrupt and Whirlpool bought Maytag.
After just two years--the Samung front load washer and the *name* Neptune were discontinued. Everything relating to this washer became moot.
The new Maytag Epic front load washer was introduced. This washer is a Whirlpool Duet with a new name.
Samsung no longer had a reason to keep posting bulletins on the now discontinued model--but *did* have to address the shaking problems in their own brand of washer.
In 2008--the VRT was introduced. This system didn't "make some improvement" with vibration--it KILLED it. No more shakes on wood or concrete floors. It's that good.

Offline dirtrider180

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »
Could the dampers be bad.  How would you check?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 11:11:37 PM »
Could the dampers be bad.  How would you check?

The damper struts are likely worn from the excessive shaking. Replacing the struts will not resolve the problem--although this may offer a small improvement.
I'd try the ShakeAway pads--at least the entire home (if the laundry room is a wood floor) won't feel as though it's coming apart one nail at a time.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:13:34 AM »
Samsung has not been in the laundry business very long, so  let's not get all carried away with their VRT design. It may be an improvement, but if something needs ShakeAway pads, there's a problem. I would not have a Samsung product in my home due to their utterly laughable stab at making refrigerators that were miserable to work on, not to mention their first attempts with washers. Yes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once n awhile...Samsung ain't all that...same goes for LG and all the other copycats of the world.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:22 AM »
<<<< if something needs ShakeAway pads, there's a problem.>>>>

Problem solved.

Pre 2008 Samsung: Shakes likes crazy.

2008 & newer Samsung: Silky smooth spin performance on wood
                                 flooring. The results are undeniable.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 11:19:01 AM »
Now if we can just get them squared away with decent parts distribution, they might gain foothold.  LG too for that matter.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
Now if we can just get them squared away with decent parts distribution, they might gain foothold.  LG too for that matter.

I agree that parts availability (and information) should be better for the non-authorized servicer.
Long before I began warranty service---I always had the same problem getting just the technical assistance from ANY manufacturer. Some manufacturers prefer to keep all parts and service controlled "in house". Miele is a perfect example of this.

Other brands such as Bertazzoni/Diva de Provence only deal with *distributors* for sales/parts/service arrangements.

LG & Samsung are already firmly established and growing at a phenomenal pace. Market-share keeps increasing in the US.

LG is sold through:

1) Home Depot/2244 stores

2) Sears-KMart/3519 stores

3) Best Buy/1382 stores

That's 7145 retail outlets nationwide--and this does *not* take into account other medium sized retailers such as HH Gregg/PC Richards/Boscovs etc.

Samsung has Lowes/Sears/BestBuy and nearly an equal number to LGs retailer portfolio.

I don't know much more of a "foothold" they can get.

The dilemma for the appliance servicer is that it's sink or swim proposition as far the future is concerned.

We can reminisce about the "old days" when appliances were simpler or we can face reality and make a commitment as independent servicers to adapt to the digital age.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:33:51 PM by john63 »

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »
If someone buys an appliance they can't get fixed they won't buy another. I tell my customers to stay away from these manufacturers because of this.

MAH8700AWW Washer vibrating too much during spin cycle

Started by toolturnr

Replies: 0
Views: 270
Last post July 20, 2013, 01:13:13 PM
by toolturnr
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 1846
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 3589
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag washer-- got agitation, no spin in spin cycle

Started by PB3

Replies: 13
Views: 9457
Last post March 28, 2008, 09:18:30 AM
by PB3
washer trips gfi at spin cycle