Author Topic: Maytag dishwasher motor only buzzes after I replaced the motor seal  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Slowstroke

• VIP Member
Greetings, 1st time Poster.
The motor pump seal went out on this dishwasher.  I took the unit out of the dishwasher and replaced the seal.  After assembly and installation, the washer fills with water but when the motor is supposed to do its thing, it only buzzes for a few seconds then stops. (apparently some kind of breaker)  I removed the pump from the motor and set the motor outside of the machine and tried it.  The motor buzzes and the shaft twitches a bit.  The shaft spins free.  It appears that all the wire connections are keyed so I don't think I could have wired it wrong.  It seems like the motor is bad.  Could the leaking of the seal have ruined the motor? It seemed to be working fine except for the  leak.  How can I test the motor?

Model mdb6000aww

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag dishwasher motor only buzzes after I replaced the motor seal
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
If there is any play in the motor shaft side to side at all then shes poling out. In in and out likewise. Yes the water gets right into the bearing and does a number on them machines.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Slowstroke

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
Thank you JW,
the shaft does have up and down play but doesn't seem to have any sideways. play.  Is there any way to directly wire  the motor using the 4 wires coming off the motor to verify its shot?
Thanks

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I think so but I can't be sure. I don't work on many dishwashers. Ive checked one but its been so long I can't remember.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Slowstroke

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »
I came across this reply to a question about testing a maytag dishwasher motor but it was for a 3600 and mine is a 6000. Would anybody know if this setup would work on the 6000? below is the response.

Re: Maytag dishwasher motor quit
PDB3600AWX
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:14:09 AM Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to see if there is voltage going to the motor when it stops like that, put your voltmeter leads at the  yellow wire on the relay and the blue wire on the motor harness. If there is 120 volts, the motor is bad or the thermal overload in it is open. If no 120 volts is present, it is a timer or wiring connection issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dw_motor_test.gif (19.92 KB, 1579x927 - viewed 276 times.)

Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:23:33 AM by Repairman    

Offline Slowstroke

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »

on the last post I forgot the gif file.  it is attached now
Thanks

Re: Maytag dishwasher motor quit
PDB3600AWX
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:14:09 AM Quote 

If you want to see if there is voltage going to the mtor when it stops like that, put your voltmeter leads at the  yellow wire on the relay and the blue wire on the mtor harness. If there is 120 volts, the mtor is bad or the thermal overload in it is open. If no 120 volts is present, it is a timer or wiring connection issue.

dw_motor_test.gif (19.92 KB, 1579x927 - viewed 276 times.)

Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:23:33 AM by Repair-man    

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »
Right because if the voltage was passing through the motor you would get no reading. If you get a reading of 120 that means the current has been interupted.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag dishwasher motor quit

Started by JDExSquid

Replies: 9
Views: 7211
Last post January 03, 2010, 10:18:35 AM
by brucematt
Dishwasher with LE code. motor replaced, no broken wires, still busted

Started by lefthook1729

Replies: 8
Views: 2756
Last post June 21, 2011, 10:31:30 AM
by lefthook1729
Kenmore dishwasher motor problem

Started by lgmccoy1

Replies: 3
Views: 6106
Last post February 22, 2008, 11:06:24 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
Frigidaire Dishwasher bad circulation motor???

Started by JRichmond

Replies: 0
Views: 2524
Last post October 24, 2008, 07:50:40 PM
by JRichmond
Maytag dishwasher works but silence replaced with Mack truck sound

Started by hookcapn

Replies: 2
Views: 1368
Last post December 26, 2008, 04:42:14 AM
by Repair-man
Kenmore Dishwasher motor & pump removal