Author Topic: A shocking discovery  (Read 1019 times)

Offline jumptrout51

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Nov 2007
  • Posts: 1879
  • Country: us
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
A shocking discovery
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
Went on a service call complaint of the range would shock you.
Took the vom and touched neutral at a nearby outlet and touched the range with the other lead.
120 volts.
Turned off the range breaker removed the back range panel.
All wiring looked in order.
Removed the range outlet cover to find the ground wire in a hot terminal and a hot wire in the ground terminal. 120 volts was going through the ground circuit.
Seems the owners son convinced Dad he could wire the outlet for the new range. The old range was hard wired.
Turned on power to check the range operation. Everything worked except bake and broil.
The mis-wiring shorted out the oven stat.
Installed a new stat,everything works fine.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline schaffersapplian

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Oct 2008
  • Posts: 619
  • Country: us
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: A shocking discovery
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 09:52:58 AM »
gotta love it!
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

 

stove top shocking

Started by archibald tuttle

Replies: 5
Views: 873
Last post April 02, 2014, 10:13:11 AM
by DaleCaskanette