Author Topic: defrost adaptive control refrigerator  (Read 7591 times)

Offline viking351

• VIP Member
defrost adaptive control refrigerator
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »
i'm from the OLD school like JW.
in the old days we used defrost timers. they were easy to check and repair.

my question is with a defrost adaptive control how do you test it? do you just "parts change" and see if it works?

i would check the timer, the heating element and the defrost thermo replace as needed(under the old system) if the timer was defective i would replace along with the termo.

the electronic age is crazy!

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Re: defrost adaptive control refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
ADC's continually adjust defrost intervals based on number of door openings, compressor runtime, and if it has a board, the board will monitor how long the defrost terminator keeps the heater energized.   All the boards are different from machine to machine, and work differently measuring different methods described above.  All the different ADC boards have ways to start defrost.  But to remember all of them is a different story.  When i get a machine with a ADC board, i usually pull the evap cover and check for a closed circuit. If the circuit is open i will check individual components to see whats bad. IE: heater or bi-metal. if they check good i will change the ADC board.  thats my method, and don't get many call backs.  If you send me a PM with your address, i will send you a copy of a ADC manual i have from the MSA convention. Lots of good info on starting defrost cycles on many machines and the way that they each work.
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »
i would scan it into a pdf file, but i dont know how to :-)
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »
Let me splain it to yall
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:42 PM »
In these new fangled ice boxs is what you call adaptive defrost controls. Instead of the old tried and true defrost timer, brainiacs have decided to use artificial intelligence to determine defrost. The basic pattern of adaptive defrost is: COOLING,PRE-CHILL,DEFROST,DWELL,and POST-DWELL. Hey I ain't making this up. The ADC (adaptive defrost control) Counts the number of times the doors are opened, the total compressor run time, and the length of time the defrost heaters were on during the last defrost. This method supposedly enables the adc to work nice in all kinds of conditions, whether hot and humid or cold and frigid climates. COOLING Mode will remain for an indefinate time or until defrost is determined by the micro-processor. When all systems are go for defrost the adc makes the jump to light speed by going into PRE-CHILL, this brings down the temps in the freezer to off set the defrost operation so that the food temp does not suffer dramatic temp rises. Pretty cool ain't it? If the ice box is in pre chill and the door gets opened then a DEFROST HOLD OFF will jump in and not do a defrost for several hours. If the door is continually opened at the end of 16 hours the adc is gonna defrost that ice box anyway. The defrost varries but is a maximum time of 45 minutes including DWELL. Dwell is the length of time the ice box stays off AFTER the heater is terminated.
Then The POST DWELL will kick in. The post dwell will fire up the compressor and condenser fan but the inside fans will not run allowing the coils inside to cool down before them fans kick in and she jumps back into Cooling mode. I bet you would like to have a copy of GE's adc repair manual wouldn't you?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:51:57 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline viking351

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
thank you so much jw. your the best.

viking

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline magician59

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »
 O0
I bow to you: You can get any info out there!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
I have had lots of help from some very good friends.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Poor Jack

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 06:22:43 AM »
I am first trying to get a response on this topic, rather than start a new one. I am trying to figure out a cheap way around replacing the expensive adaptive defrost control board on my Whirlpool side by side. I have a defrost timer from a Roper fridge that I stripped for parts. Can I replace that adaptive defrost control board with that? I have my ideas on how to do that, but I'm an amateur  and I would welcome some advice on how to do this. There is an icemaker if that makes any difference. If you think I'm being cheap, I'm not, I'm just "Poor Jack."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:25:33 AM by Poor Jack »

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »
possible if you re-wire the defrost system and the compressor.  Not at all easy, or recommended.

Offline Poor Jack

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
Some news here.

Without a schematic to guide me, but looking at the way the wires were set-up, it seems there is no real difference between the standard mechanical defrost timer and the more modern "adaptive" defrost control "board"/timer. There are two extra prongs on the "adaptive" control are connected to the electrical wires that power the light bulbs -- for the fridge and for the freezer. Apparently, the number of times the light bulbs come on is factored into the algorithm that "adapts" the defrost cycle in the freezer. Doing away with the "light bulb" connection would seem to be harmless. I would lose the advantage of the "adaptive" capability of the "adaptive" control board, but that won't matter much with the way this fridge is used in this shared house, where a bunch of poor people share the rent, and that fridge is opened and closed pretty regularly, but not excessively, that is, about as much as a normal family would open and close the fridge/freezer doors. I would guess that the standard defrost control "timer" is set for a normal amount of use, and no energy savings advantage is to be gained under such conditions. In fact, the Roper fridge from which I scavenged the mechanical defrost control seems to be set for "energy savings" because the Roper fridge says it is an "energy efficient" fridge. So it seems that there is no need to "rewire" the entire fridge at all to swap-in the Roper's mechanical defrost timer.

Let me add that I think that it would be wise to pay the extra to buy the replacement "adaptive control board" IF I was a person with a job that took me out of the house for days and weeks at a time, where the "adaptive control board" would know that the fridge and freezer doors were not being opened for days and weeks at a time, and it would not defrost as much or as often, saving maybe $20 per year or so on the electric bill. Worth it I would say, but just barely.

Let me further add that it should not be necessary to have a computerized "adaptive control board," and a good engineer could have come up with a mechanical analog version of the "adaptive control board" that would have done exactly the same thing, and cost way less, apparently. (All that would need to be done is have some sort of counter that counts the number of times the fridge door opens and closes between defrost cycles, and once it reaches a certain count -- like 100 door openings -- it automatically advances the unit to the defrost cycle, which seems to be all that the "adaptive control board" does. As simple as the "adaptive control board" seems to be, it could have been made an analog device, but then the manufacturer could not rip us off for a fancy electronic control board. But I am all for electronics, but not as an excuse to rip off consumers. Electronics should be cheaper than analog devices, not 3 times the price.)

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »
they SHOULD be cheaper, and they ARE cheaper to make, just the mark up is insane.

61005988 Maytag Refrigerator Adaptive Defrost Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 10083
Last post February 19, 2011, 07:44:34 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
240554501 Frigidaire Refrigerator Adaptive Defrost Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4902
Last post October 03, 2009, 12:23:13 PM
by AJ
WR9X489 GE Refrigerator Defrost Control Timer

Started by AJ

Views: 5869
Last post May 27, 2009, 06:13:31 PM
by AJ
8178726 Whirlpool Refrigerator Defrost Control Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 2417
Last post August 20, 2009, 12:57:53 PM
by AJ
31-9062 GE Refrigerator Adaptive Defrost Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1297
Last post September 08, 2011, 05:18:37 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool 4388932 defrost board (Adaptive Defrost Control)

Started by gwakeen

Replies: 8
Views: 3521
Last post January 14, 2013, 02:38:25 PM
by AJ